Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

If you tell them before the scan they won't show you the tell tale signs and can block it on the pictures too

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SuperTed!

If you tell them before the scan they won't show you the tell tale signs and can block it on the pictures too

I think that's at the next scan, right? I should probably know but I was in a bit of a daze for most of yesterday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep your anatomy scan is when they can tell you the gender if they can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Ah i remember the first scan. They get even better as the pregnancy progresses! Just wait until your baby kicks for the first time, its amazing. My wife is due today but no movement yet. So so anxious. Would recommend a private scan at plus 20 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SuperTed!

kronsich wrote: »
    Ah i remember the first scan. They get even better as the pregnancy progresses! Just wait until your baby kicks for the first time, its amazing. My wife is due today but no movement yet. So so anxious. Would recommend a private scan at plus 20 weeks!

All the best!

As I said above, he/she jumped or something during the scan! It was amazing to see in general but to see him/her actually move was something else!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Wth is this policy in coombe that she can have no visitors after 8:30, not even her husband! I don't get why she has to have to work all these contractions by herself! I am fuming with anger! The security even tried to kick us out of the building completely but first the Garda will come before this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Wth is this policy in coombe that she can have no visitors after 8:30, not even her husband! I don't get why she has to have to work all these contractions by herself! I am fuming with anger! The security even tried to kick us out of the building completely but first the Garda will come before this happens.

What????? That only comes into play when the baby is born during Labour the father is there for duration.

What????? That only comes into play when the baby is born during Labour the father is there for duration.

No they are happy for me to stay in the labour/delivery room but not before that, we re on the stage that the contractions are strong and less than every 5mins and my hearts breaks to leave her alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Astramonti how did the rest of the night go? I'm shocked you were sent out. I'm with the coombe and will be asking about this as I have no intention of going through it on my own.

We re still here, the baby takes it's time to get out, soon though. Midwives and doctors were excellent with me staying there, it was that annoying security that insisted to get out, even threatened again to kick the gramdmas who were staying on the ground floor out, really poor, obnoxious and and insulting behaviour. Anyway, all is good as docs/midwives stepped up and helped.

• Advertisement

If you're in a delivery room then partner can stay but if you're on a ward and not in established labour partners are sent home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Did you think that her partner and both grandmothers would be present during the labour and birth?

If so, it's a pity no one made it clear to you during the pregnancy that this is not the norm in Ireland, it's something you'd need to have organised in advance.

What hospital are you attending? Had you discussed your plans with them?

Best of luck today then :)

January, if you are having contractions aren't you in labour?

(Utterly clueless here!)

Whispered wrote: »
    Best of luck today then :)

January, if you are having contractions aren't you in labour?

(Utterly clueless here!)

You may well be but until you reach 3cms dilated you're not in 'established' labour and will be kept on a ward with other ladies who are labouring and then moved when you reach 3cms or start needing intervention such as oxytocin.

January wrote: »
    You may well be but until you reach 3cms dilated you're not in 'established' labour and will be kept on a ward with other ladies who are labouring and then moved when you reach 3cms or start needing intervention such as oxytocin.

Ah ok. Thanks. I've a lot of research to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

We re still here, the baby takes it's time to get out, soon though. Midwives and doctors were excellent with me staying there, it was that annoying security that insisted to get out, even threatened again to kick the gramdmas who were staying on the ground floor out, really poor, obnoxious and and insulting behaviour. Anyway, all is good as docs/midwives stepped up and helped.

Heard these stories before, one of the main reasons we went for Holles St even though the Coombe is closer to us. My wife was having the worst contractions in the pre labour ward between 11pm and 4am, probably would of lost the head if somebody was telling me I had to leave

Heya Lads

my wife had a little girl on Saturday morning. Still in Holles street and coming home tomorrow.

I have gotten married, got degrees, bought a house and travelled the world. Can honestly say that labour and birth is the most amazing experience of my life. It was exhausting and completely overwhelming. My wife was fantastic!

The wards are fine and the midwives are brilliant. They really dont mind husbands being around.

My big tip: sign up for parking tag!

One more thing. Stay at home as long as possible! The pre labour ward is hell on earth!

In fairness to the coombe we have been warned numerous times not to come in to early wait until there is at least three contractions per 10 minutes otherwise be pacing the corridors.

On the grandparents Im sure it sucked and was a pain but I know none of ours be near the hospital till after the baby is born.

Have to look at it from the hospitals point of view really they can't have hundreds of people wandering around which would be the case of they let everyone who wanted to stay, to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Anyone know what the story is with parking on the day the OH goes into labour? Is there a special rate for those heading to the delivery unit and likely to have their car outside for a day or more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

niallo24 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with parking on the day the OH goes into labour? Is there a special rate for those heading to the delivery unit and likely to have their car outside for a day or more?

Where are you talking about? In the Rotunda it's normal street parking afaik (luckily my work car park is around the corner)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Not sure whihch hospital you're headed for.
    We'll be in Holles St, reliant on n-street parking; and pretty sure there's no allowances made for the fact you're visiting hospital, labour or otherwise.
    I'd imagine only possibility of a concession would be if you were dealing with a hospital with their own car park, even then I wouldn't hold your breath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Not sure whihch hospital you're headed for.
    We'll be in Holles St, reliant on n-street parking; and pretty sure there's no allowances made for the fact you're visiting hospital, labour or otherwise.
    I'd imagine only possibility of a concession would be if you were dealing with a hospital with their own car park, even then I wouldn't hold your breath

Sorry didn't realise I didn't mention the hospital! I am in the Coombe. They have their own car park but its pricey enough if you are going to be in for a while.

Sorry didn't realise I didn't mention the hospital! I am in the Coombe. They have their own car park but its pricey enough if you are going to be in for a while.

In the Coombe you can get your parking ticket validated and it works out 7.50 a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    We'll be in Holles St, reliant on n-street parking; and pretty sure there's no allowances made for the fact you're visiting hospital, labour or otherwise
    It is all onstreet parking around Holles Street. It is free after 7 and on Sundays though. The Council was very cynical in having charges on Saturdays as the parking is very light on that day and only really affects those around the hospital.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Where are you talking about? In the Rotunda it's normal street parking afaik (luckily my work car park is around the corner)
    Rotunda have a deal with the Parnell St carpark (at back of the cinema) where it works out at 6 euro for 24 hours. You have to get it validated by the security desk and show to parking attendant. You can use it when you go to appointments and every day your partner is in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Wife had her 36 week check up yesterday...little lad is doing well, 2.7 Kg and kicking up a storm. Suddenly the end is in sight and rushing towards us a little faster than I would like! Bought nappies for the first time ever at the weekend, who knew there was such a selection...Hospital go bag is fairly much prepared, part of me hopes the next couple of weeks will drag by, part of me hopes they won't! Looking forward to finally seeing the anonymous kicker! Still working on a name...

Now that the storm has passed and the little baby girl is out and happy I 've really have to praise Coombe. Apart from that annoying security incident that came at a time my wife was in a great deal of pain the level of detail and honest interest from all the midwives, docs and consultants is something that you have to pay several thousand euros in other countries. They have been amazing since our very first visit to be honest. Their genuine interest of your well being is so important to them that and they pass this through. I 've yet to meet a person who is either not smiling or happy to help with anythng. Everyone is happy to answer your questions and guide you. They even spent almost 1.5hours with my wife showing her how to breastfeed, it was such an amazing thing to watch and the determirnation of the midwife to make it happen was so kind hearted.
    If you're in a delivery room then partner can stay but if you're on a ward and not in established labour partners are sent home.

Established labour is really a loose term, my wife starting having massive strong contractions around 10:30 in the night and we went in the delivery room at 4:30, it would be at least inhuman to leave her alone when she could barely walk alone.
    Did you think that her partner and both grandmothers would be present during the labour and birth?

No, they just wanted to be in the same building, how much noise can two old ladies sitting in an empty waiting area do really?
    kronsich wrote: »
    Can honestly say that labour and birth is the most amazing experience of my life. It was exhausting and completely overwhelming. My wife was fantastic!

I couldn't agree anymore! An amazing experience.
    In fairness to the coombe we have been warned numerous times not to come in to early wait until there is at least three contractions per 10 minutes otherwise be pacing the corridors.

On the grandparents Im sure it sucked and was a pain but I know none of ours be near the hospital till after the baby is born.

Have to look at it from the hospitals point of view really they can't have hundreds of people wandering around which would be the case of they let everyone who wanted to stay, to stay.

The problem is that the water broke at 4:40am in the morning and we had to get to hospital, if the contractions had come before the waters we would have been waiting until the last minute, but not everything can go as planned unfortunately.

Best of luck to all dads to be!

Parking at Holles St is really expensive and no daily rate. Defo get the app so you can top up from the hospital. Check your health insurance, mine is refunding my parking expenses for the delivery day.

We just finished our second night home with baby, all going well. Make sure you enjoy your sleep before the arrival as it really is full on!

Best of luck lads

• Advertisement

Now that the storm has passed and the little baby girl is out and happy I 've really have to praise Coombe. Apart from that annoying security incident that came at a time my wife was in a great deal of pain the level of detail and honest interest from all the midwives, docs and consultants is something that you have to pay several thousand euros in other countries. They have been amazing since our very first visit to be honest. Their genuine interest of your well being is so important to them that and they pass this through. I 've yet to meet a person who is either not smiling or happy to help with anythng. Everyone is happy to answer your questions and guide you. They even spent almost 1.5hours with my wife showing her how to breastfeed, it was such an amazing thing to watch and the determirnation of the midwife to make it happen was so kind hearted.

Established labour is really a loose term, my wife starting having massive strong contractions around 10:30 in the night and we went in the delivery room at 4:30, it would be at least inhuman to leave her alone when she could barely walk alone.

No, they just wanted to be in the same building, how much noise can two old ladies sitting in an empty waiting area do really?

I couldn't agree anymore! An amazing experience.

The problem is that the water broke at 4:40am in the morning and we had to get to hospital, if the contractions had come before the waters we would have been waiting until the last minute, but not everything can go as planned unfortunately.

Best of luck to all dads to be!

Just two little old ladies, but imagine if everyone brought along two little old ladies to wait around in the waiting room, the place would be packed. Really should have waited until the baby arrived, sure they wouldn't have even been allowed up until she was settled and in visiting hours... Anyways, it's over and done with now, something to think about for next time ;)

Advertisement