Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reading Club

• 07-07-2006 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Want to be in a reading club?

Am looking for people to initiate a reading club with.

To meet more than likely in Dublin city centre but open to negotiation depending on what people want, where they hail from etc.

Interested in reading a variety of stuff, having a variety of people etc.

Would like to get started with 5/6 people within the fortnight so if your interested please email: readingbunch@hotmail.com

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'd be into it alright - however living in London so would not be meeting up. If you get a cyber group going then count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What city centre would that be now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

simu wrote:
    What city centre would that be now?

the same one that After Hours refers to I presume :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I see... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so where in Carlow is this taking place?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know if I can make it to mayo frequently, but I'll be there, just at the sign by the barn next to the shamans hut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 reading club

That city centre would be Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I might be interested. Any more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭plenderj

I'd be well up for it.... send me a PM on it if you get anything going :)

LoLth: email address removed to stop evil spamming gits from taking it and selling it to the taliban who will then use it to send inflamatory mails around the world stirring the rise of a neo-nazi gestapo-esque underground secret police movement who eventually find roots in ireland and break into my house to kidnap my cat. Dammit plenderj! what has my cat ever done to you!!!!

[edit]
    erm... ah yes... right lol
    that'd be jamie at plenderj dot com
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

PM me too, id be very interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

What way should we approach it? Book clubs have been atempted before on boards, but always fail. I would be quite happy meeting up with some like minded people who dont get bored to death when i talk about books, as most of my friends seem to do.

Meet up in a pub with a few people not afraid of books, decide on a genre, decide on a title, and meet the next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

If anything happens pm me too.

Hi folks,

am getting excited about this now - have had a few replies.

so what do you think about meeting up the week after next.

what days suit people? times?

and any suggestions re location? someone suggested Starbucks but that wouldn't be my cup of tea!

as for rambling on about books, that's does sound good.

Perhaps some pub in town when it's not busy or something? I give training every Monday evening and take Polish lessons on Wednesday... any other evening suits me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd be up for giving this a try aswell, pm me if it's going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I've found having my book club in a wine bar to be very successful. They are usually quiet enough to talk, some have beer, obviously wine, have little tapas and little nibbles to eat if someone is hungry and usually do coffee's and teas too if people don't want to drink. Would suggest one in Dublin but haven't been there in years but it's worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I've found having my book club in a wine bar to be very successful. They are usually quiet enough to talk, some have beer, obviously wine, have little tapas and little nibbles to eat if someone is hungry and usually do coffee's and teas too if people don't want to drink. Would suggest one in Dublin but haven't been there in years but it's worth considering.

Hi folks,

Meeting next week on Tuesday, July 25th at 7pm at the Irish Film Centre. It is quiet enough here to have a chat - people can get nibbles if they want, alcohol or coffee...I think it probably best if we meet outside as nobody will know everybody else.

Please let me know who can make it or if you can't make it and are still interested so I know to fill you in afterwards:) ...

I'd love to come along. What should we bring... what'll people be wearing... who's who etc. etc. :)

• Advertisement

No need to bring anything...however, some thoughts on how you would like the club to be run, and a couple of suggestions for books might be helpful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good luck with it. I'm sorry to be missing it.

Hi folks

We have been up and running for awhile now.

Some of the books we have read
    - Haruki Murakami, The Wind Up Bird Chronicles
    - Sean O'Reilly, Watermark
    - Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
    - Iain Banks, Walking on Glass

Next meeting in the Irish Film Centre, Tuesday 14th November if anyone interested, you would be most welcome!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

I would be interested in this. How often do you meet up? And is there a book that I would need to read if I was to come along on the 14th? PM me please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I'd be interested too

pm a book/time for meeting please :)

We have been meeting every three weeks. The book for the next meeting (which we only decided upon today) is The Master And Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov. If anybody wants to come along next time, i will wait outside at around 7, book in hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

In Hodges Figgis at the shelves as you walk down the stairs to the basement/bargain area you will see 'The Master And Margarita' for 3.99. It is also scattered around in a few piles in the area.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yadayada

exellent...im off to buy the book so!

i only paid about three times as much then ... eeekkkk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

ronano wrote:
    In Hodges Figgis at the shelves as you walk down the stairs to the basement/bargain area you will see 'The Master And Margarita' for 3.99. It is also scattered around in a few piles in the area.

:)

Cheers for that :) Will pick up a copy there so!

Advertisement