Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from thread for trolling

• 07-04-2015 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I was banned from a thread for one week . I contacted the mod - he said it was for backchat.
    If you read the posts I made as a new member to boards I do not see the issue with them.
    In one post I made a joke and in another I asked he had edited for my post for trolling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

the ban will nearly be over before anyone gets back

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You were banned for a week from GAA and chose to appeal that ban 2 days into it. You are now complaining because you have been waiting all of 9 hours for a response

A Sports CMod will get back to you in due course

I sent the mod in question a private message, he responded and now I am appealing it.
    Obviously I have made a mistake with my appeal, can you give me advice on how to appeal properly.
    cheers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Assuming you have attempted to appeal your ban directly with the mod who banned you and failed to reach agreement, you are in the correct place to appeal your ban. However mods, CMods and indeed Admins are all volunteers around here. Hence the fact your original post had not been responded to was not a sign it was being ignored - it's simply a case that no-one has yet got round to looking at it. As already mentioned though one of us will get back to you in due course, once we have had a chance to have a check out the underlying facts

Thank you, you assume correctly.

• Advertisement

I've had a look at the events leading up to your ban

Your first post in the forum was in a thread entitled "Football Crisis - What's to be done?"

You posted
    Reduce the size of the ball and give all players a stick to play with.
    Would make it a way better game.
    A clear reference to hurling at the expense of football

Now as I've mentioned it was your first post in the forum, and the mod had no posting history from you to go on. I would though say that it's not exactly a way to make a positive impression by trying to highlight any rivalry between the 2 games.

The mod simply deleted your comment with a statement he considered it trolling

You followed up with
    QuinDixie wrote: »
    tom Joad why did u edit my post for trolling. It was a simple joke.
    So now you are questioning mod actions in-thread. That's a no-no across the site. The mod did not card or ban you on the back of that - he simply instructed you to read the forum charter before posting in the forum again

You followed up with
    I have read the charter fully so now I am fully up to date. Technically your post above is trolling, tom read that charter again yourself.

Do you understand the role of mods on this site?
    Do you understand the concept of backseat modding?
    Do you appreciate that you should not question mod actions in-thread? You should do as the forum Charter, which you claimed to have read, includes the following
    Clareman wrote: »
    Questioning moderator decisions in thread will be deleted, repeated violations of this and the user will be banned as such action takes a thread off topic.

You twice questioned mod actions in-thread and were banned in line with the charter

On what basis do you believe I should uphold your appeal?

Beasty wrote: »
    I've had a look at the events leading up to your ban

Your first post in the forum was in a thread entitled "Football Crisis - What's to be done?"

You posted

A clear reference to hurling at the expense of football

Now as I've mentioned it was your first post in the forum, and the mod had no posting history from you to go on. I would though say that it's not exactly a way to make a positive impression by trying to highlight any rivalry between the 2 games.

The mod simply deleted your comment with a statement he considered it trolling

You followed up with

So now you are questioning mod actions in-thread. That's a no-no across the site. The mod did not card or ban you on the back of that - he simply instructed you to read the forum charter before posting in the forum again

You followed up with

Do you appreciate that you should not question mod actions in-thread? You should do as the forum Charter, which you claimed to have read, includes the following

You twice questioned mod actions in-thread and were banned in line with the charter

On what basis do you believe I should uphold your appeal?

Be honest the first post i made was a joke and probably a bad one - to call it trolling is way over the top, it was a forum on gaelic football, which I enjoy. there is no rivalry between hurling and football.
    When I saw trolling as the reason for the snip - I engaged with him in the forum, is that so bad, as a new member. trolling is a serious issue and to compare my original post to trolling is ridiculous.

I said it was a simple joke and you can look up his answer - going by the charter his response was as much trolling as my joke on the forum originally, regarding his jibe about simple.

I never said anything personal, did not say anything negative about gaelic football.

QuinDixie wrote: »
    I said it was a simple joke and you can look up his answer - going by the charter his response was as much trolling as my joke on the forum originally, regarding his jibe about simple.
    You are providing no indication you understand the role of a moderator. He was doing his job in moderating the forum. If you throw out accusations like that simply because the mod was doing his job you are not going to be getting much sympathy from me.

Before bringing my review to a close I will repeat the three questions I have already asked, but you chose not to respond to:

Do you appreciate that you should not question mod actions in-thread?

i do understand all the questions you ask - boards.ie would sink into madness if there was no mods, if backseat modding was allowed and if mods were abused or undermined.
    Mods do a good job that makes boards work.

I can see your points - can u see mine.

The mod in question i am sure does great work, but in this situation he over reacted. A one week ban without yellow cards or a private message explaining what I had done so wrong. totally over the top.

If you are looking for me to criticise the mod here think again. The mod did not overreact at all. It was you who failed to follow forum and site rules. He was simply enforcing them. If you cannot accept that we are both wasting our time continuing this discussion

However if you acknowledge you failed to follow the rules, and the mod was simply carrying out his job we may be able to find a way forward here

• Advertisement

i admit back chatting the mod was not a good idea - i should have messaged him privately.
    but i do not admit trolling.

The comments in your original post were snipped as "trolling". The mod took no further action on that post in isolation.

It was your subsequent actions that resulted in your ban. You were "guilty" of backseat modding on two occasions. Your one week ban is shown on the system as for backseat modding

So I'll ask a slight variation on one of my questions:

Do you accept that you are not allowed to "back chat" a mod in thread?

As a follow up, have you given some thought to your future behaviour both on the site and within that forum?
    Have you learned any lessons here?
    Are you going to change your posting style and avoid getting into trouble again?
    Will you look at forum charters before posting in those forums?

I would like to thank you Beasty for looking into this, but I will accept my one week ban.

OK - I was trying to move this into a position where you would acknowledge what you had done wrong here and provide some assurance over your future posting in the forum. I would then have been prepared to consider reducing you ban on the basis of "time-served". In the absence of any such assurances though I think this thread can be drawn to a close. However if you do wish to discuss it further please drop me a PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement