Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problems getting PPSN card due to old birth cert - anyone else had this issue

• 10-01-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem getting issued with a PPSN card by the department of social protection due to their having only one of the old "short" birth certificates which were issued to adopted children back in the 1960's /70's ? And if anyone might know any way around this issue/problem.

I only have one of the old style birth certificates, and it just gives my date of birth and my name. And it doesn't show my birth mothers name at all.

I have already got my Irish Passport, PPS number and all the other required documents for the PPSN card, but the are refusing to issue me a PPSN card without a birth cert showing my birth mothers name.

Meanwhile I tried to get this for them, using the certificates.ie website, but it already needs you to know your birth mothes name, so I am in a bit of a catch 22 situation between them.

Has anyone else come accross this issue ? I was really surprized they needed this , as I'm already obvioulsy a irish citizen and this birth certifcate was issued here in the state.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from anyone else who has been in this situation who might know how to get around the problem.

Thanks

MIke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Mike

I think what you probably have is the abridged aka "short" form of your adoption certificate (which looks exactly like a short form birth cert). The short form (of either type of cert) is pretty much useless these days for any legal or administrative purposes.

You might want to verify this with the DSP but I think what they might want is the full "long" form of your adoption certificate which is available from the General Register Office www.groireland.ie (costs a tenner but I think it might be cheaper if you can show it's for social welfare).

Accessing your actual birth cert is a whole different kettle of fish, about which much much more elsewhere on this board!icon7.png

Cheers

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

When they said "birth certificate" they would not have known that you were adopted, regardless if you told them or not... its just a term used, what you need to supply them is an Adoption Certificate which by all accounts is an adopted persons birth cert.

( A legal document that shows you, your mothers/fathers name and address at the time of your adoption, its the same information found on a Birth Certificate )

So go back to http://www.hse.ie/lifeevents/ and fill out the form... The Mother's Birth Name section which is confusing and badly identified, really means your mothers maiden name, the person that adopted you, her family name etc... If you are unsure about 'place of birth' just put Dublin or...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you ring them- you can normally elect to have your passport details used for the new card- thats what I did. They may ask you to pop into one of the local offices to confirm details etc- but it appears to be a formality. Once you have a valid passport- they have full access to all the details on it.

Advertisement