Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stephen Fry on Ros na Rún

• 19-11-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

So what does everyone think about the news that Stephen Fry is gonna make a cameo on Ros na Rún?
    I think it's gonna be fantastic and should boost viewers for the show too, hopefully. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Will he be speaking Irish or have an English speaking cameo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Posy wrote: »
    Will he be speaking Irish or have an English speaking cameo?

He'll be speaking Irish. It's part of a new show of his investigating minority languages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sounds good. Can't wait to see that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

chap annoys me dno wat it is about him. maybe just him being labelled a national treasure which irks me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

There was an article about it in the Irish Independent today. He's just finished filming and will be speaking some Irish in the episode.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/fry-gets-to-grips-with-gaeilge-for-ros-na-run-role-2450520.html?start=1

Stephen-01_I_759607t.jpg

Stephen-02_I_759662t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Why does the bottle that publican Tadhg Ó Direáin (Macdara Ó Fatharta) is holding have a UK duty stamp on it ?? I thought it was illegal not to pay the duty on drink that is for sale in a bar.

StephenFryUKDutyStamp.png

Could they not get there props from Ireland instead of NI or the UK. This IMHO is pretty bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

celticbest wrote: »
    Could they not get there props from Ireland instead of NI or the UK. This IMHO is pretty bad form.

probably an accurate reflection of what (some) publicans do though.
    They'd make sure to pour it into an "Irish" bottle though!

celticbest wrote: »
    Why does the bottle that publican Tadhg Ó Direáin (Macdara Ó Fatharta) is holding have a UK duty stamp on it ?? I thought it was illegal not to pay the duty on drink that is for sale in a bar.

You seriously need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Gael wrote: »
    You seriously need to get out more.

I work in the drinks trade and it stood out at me when I looked at the picture in the Irish Times.......:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Dem English bashterds, comin' over here shpeakin' our language an' cornerin' the fillim props market......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's part of a storyline that Tadhg has been selling booze from over the border - afterall he is the dodgiest publican of all.. :D Granted, most publican's would have the good sense to switch bottles, but it actually shows attention to detail.. :P

Well done to the guys in Spiddal! Nice pull.. although like mrDerek, don't get the obsession with this guy.. Cool anway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

When is the episode due to air?

Around new year or just after.. Don't know the exact date yet.

The beginning of March, according to postings (in Irish) on the Ros na Rún Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pat.folan

I assume there will be a Seachtain na Gaelige link in here so perhaps mid March will be the airing time?

He's going to be on this week:

http://tg4.ie/bearla/clar/rnr/rnr.asp

• Advertisement

I watched with great interest and I must say that for a man who was reading a phonetic spelling of the words he did very well. I'm a huge fan of Fry and seeing him act in an Irish language soap opera was very enjoyable.

Maith an fear Fry. Nár laga Dia thú!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I had to laugh at Stephen Fry on Twitter the other day

"A good day to be Irish. You beat England at cricket. Our revenge is that I'm appearing on Rós na Rún tonight"
    :D

The full scene is up on youtube now:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Evennia

So what does everyone think about the news that Stephen Fry is gonna make a cameo on Ros na Rún?
    I think it's gonna be fantastic and should boost viewers for the show too, hopefully. :D

Delighted to see him there and draw attention to the language... he's a really fascinating individual.. pity he couldn't have been in it longer..

Advertisement