Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paye too high?

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hours worked 14.5
    Gross pay: 125.43
    Paye: 51.43
    PRSI:10.66
    USC:8.78
    Net Pay: 65.22

Those are the breakdowns of my pay, but to me the paye doesn't seem right, that's a taxation of nearly 50%, im a college student on a minimum wage job by the way, is this taxing correct? any help would be great. thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TM69 wrote: »
    Hours worked 14.5

Those are the breakdowns of my pay, but to me the paye doesn't seem right, that's a taxation of nearly 50%, im a college student on a minimum wage job by the way, is this taxing correct? any help would be great. thanks

Are you on Emergency Tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hours worked 14.5

You are paying PAYE at 41%. Is this your first job? If not did you provide a valid P45 to your employer when you started, did you or your employer contact Revenue to register your employment with your employer.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/circumstances/student.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TM69

Its a first job yes, so i'm on emergency tax? how can i get that back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Its a first job yes, so i'm on emergency tax? how can i get that back?

If this is your very first job, you need to get registered with Revenue for taxation purposes. You need to complete a form 12a with your employer and send it to Revenue. Revenue on processing your form will issue a tax credit cert to your employer to allow them to tax you correctly. If you have overpaid tax at that point, your employer will refund any overpayment in your wages.

As you appear to be unfamiliar with the paye system I suggest you read the link I posted above for an introduction to it. It will benefit you greatly if you can understand your own payslips, P60's and P45's to come.

Advertisement