Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

6458854281_5d16e233b1_s.jpg DSCN0002

This is the jumper I am knitting at the moment you are welcome to the pattern if you think it would suit. It is just a simpler version of jumper below which is worked from 2 patterns, one for the cable and one for the centre section.

6143532748_d3bf3525af_s.jpg Jumper

I have also finished this dress. I just knit a swatch and worked out the pattern from that. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

6458857575_822f94cb5b_s.jpg DSCN0003

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wow, that is a beautiful jumper. I am useless for patterns, I always change them too.
    I'd love that pattern, if there's any pattern your looking for just ask!

I might try knitting 2 sides at the same time, thats a good idea.

What yarn is the first picture. It has a lovely sheen that shows up the detail?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Wow, that is a beautiful jumper. I am useless for patterns, I always change them too.
    I'd love that pattern, if there's any pattern your looking for just ask!

I might try knitting 2 sides at the same time, thats a good idea.

What yarn is the first picture. It has a lovely sheen that shows up the detail?

It is dusky pink King Cole Aran Fashion, I got it from Winnie the Wool Wagon. I'll forward on that pattern to you, I just have to add a few things into it first (abbevrations etc.)

Received that, thank you so much. Its is really clear to follow, I just need to practice the pattern a few times before I begin. Thanks Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Ok - my final dilemma for the bag that I'm knitting - I need to know how to join the yarn to a finished piece.

Basically, the bag is made by knitting in the round for the most part, and then casting off both short sides, and knitting the two long sides separately, to make two sort of flaps. One is done, and cast off, but of course, now the yarn is no longer attached to the knitting.

How do I join it back on with no tail to join it to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Kash wrote: »
    Ok - my final dilemma for the bag that I'm knitting - I need to know how to join the yarn to a finished piece.

Basically, the bag is made by knitting in the round for the most part, and then casting off both short sides, and knitting the two long sides separately, to make two sort of flaps. One is done, and cast off, but of course, now the yarn is no longer attached to the knitting.

How do I join it back on with no tail to join it to?

There are probably other ways but I usually just pull out a bit of a tail and start knitting, then near the end of the first row I tighten it all up and continue. Then after it's done you can use the tail to join the pieces together or just sew it in out of the way.

Received that, thank you so much. Its is really clear to follow, I just need to practice the pattern a few times before I begin. Thanks Again.

Here is the finished jumper. I have not pressed it as I am just too heavy handed, I prefer to let them loosen out through washing. Another tip you probably know this already, when you are knitting the back make a note of what row of the pattern you start shaping the armholes, this will make it easier to guage where you should be starting the armholes for the front.

6484789247_20baf96db3_s.jpg
    DSCN0009 by cofy1, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

cofy wrote: »
    Here is the finished jumper. I have not pressed it as I am just too heavy handed, I prefer to let them loosen out through washing. Another tip you probably know this already, when you are knitting the back make a note of what row of the pattern you start shaping the armholes, this will make it easier to guage where you should be starting the armholes for the front.

6484789247_20baf96db3_s.jpg
    DSCN0009 by cofy1, on Flickr

That is soooo lovely, my daugher would love something like this, is there any chance you could send me the pattern for the cables, I'd really appreciate it.... now if I could only find the time to sit down and knit all day long......

Thank you,

Magic

magicEye wrote: »
    That is soooo lovely, my daugher would love something like this, is there any chance you could send me the pattern for the cables, I'd really appreciate it.... now if I could only find the time to sit down and knit all day long......

Thank you,

Magic

If you could pm me with an email address I can forward it to you. The pattern is for 2 to 3 years if that suits. Or if you just want the pattern for the cables, I got them from googling free Celtic Cable pattern. I got this from a scarf pattern.

Magic, I should mention that I did not use all 300g for the jumper, I had about 75g left when the jumper was finished. Maybe this might be enough for the hat? Looking forward to seeing what you are knitting.

• Advertisement

cofy wrote: »
    Magic, I should mention that I did not use all 300g for the jumper, I had about 75g left when the jumper was finished. Maybe this might be enough for the hat? Looking forward to seeing what you are knitting.

Thank you for this :)

Picture of hat (finished this evening) attached....

Magic

Oh, I love the hat, did you use a pattern? If so can i have it too?

@Cofy, the pics showing the pre-made up pieces were really helpful.

Oh, I love the hat, did you use a pattern? If so can i have it too?

I used a pattern that came with the Tremori knitting wool I got in Lidl a while ago. I used around 55 grams for the hat (knitting needles size 4 - gauge on the pack for size 4.5 knitting needles is 18Sx21R for 10cmx10cm).

These are the instructions for the hat:

Cast on 112 stitches, distribute equally on all needles (I used circular needles and not double pointed ones) and work 6 cms in cuff pattern. Then continue working in plait pattern 3. When work measures 16cm in every other row knit together 2 x 2 stitches as purl stitches in every purl rib. Then, with every big plait, knit together 4 x 1 stitches with knit stitches = alternate 1 purl stitch and 2 knit stitches. In the second row knit together the 2 knit stitches as knit stitches. In every other row knit together 2 x 2 stitches as knit stitches. Thread remaining stitches.

Pattern for cuff: Alternate 2 knit stitches, 2 purl stitches.

Plait pattern 3. See diagram below. Only front rows are shown. On the back rows knit the stitches as they appear. 1 square = 1 stitch and 2 rows.

I I I I I I 7
    J J J TTT 5
    I I I I I I - - - JT - - - 3
    I I I I I I - - - I I - - - 1

I = 1 knit stitch
    - = 1 purl stitch
    JT = transfer one stitch on a spare needle in front of the work, 1 knit stitch, then knit the stitch on the spare needle as a knit stitch.
    J J J TTT = transfer three stitches on spare needle in front of work, 3 knit stitches, then knit the stitches on the spare needle as knit stitches.

That is all. :)

Magic

Brilliant thank you very much. Cant wait to get a crack on this tomorrow night.

@magicEye Love the hat. The knitting is so neat and the wool you used is gorgeous. A lot of people are knitting hats like this throughout the year and selling them at christmas fairs and markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

I went to town today to get Tivoli Whirl especially for my mam, the lady in the shop forgot to put the pattern in the bag :( She wanted to knit a scarf tonight ........
    HAS ANYBODY GOT A COPY OF THE PATTERN, I have failed to find it online

Thanks in advance

If its this one:

http://www.thewoolshop.ie/magento/index.php/chunky-knitting-yarn-tivoli-whirl-961-with-free-pattern-of-scarf-and-bag.html

You just knit as normal but you only use 1/4 of the wool as in the pic.

Snow flake hat, knitted this evening, as my son can never have enough hats...:D

Magic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Magic

Oh how gorgeous!

Magic

I love looking at pictures of what everyone has done, your hats are really fab. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi everyone,

I've found a nice hat pattern, but it's for knitting in the round. It looks fairly simple as it's just a rib pattern then alternating blocks of knit and purl rows. I'm just looking for some advice on doing the same pattern on straight needles. I read on another site that you knit the purl rows and vice-versa for every even numbered round. I'm thinking with this pattern it may not be necessary to do that cos it's just alternating k and p anyway.
    When it comes to the decrease though should I purl every second row where in the pattern it says to knit?
    Any help much appreciated :) Thanks
    Here's the pattern for ref!

http://flowerpotdesigns.ca/2010/07/14/as-sweet-as-honey/

Oh that's lovely, it would be much easier on circulars. In my opinion, I'd knit until the shaping and then just make sure you decrease in the rows mentioned and end up with the correct amount of stitches at the end. You may end up ripping back one or two rows but I cant see any issues.

Oh that's lovely, it would be much easier on circulars. In my opinion, I'd knit until the shaping and then just make sure you decrease in the rows mentioned and end up with the correct amount of stitches at the end. You may end up ripping back one or two rows but I cant see any issues.
    Thanks a mill! Sure I'll give it a bash and see what happens. I just cant get the hang of circulars. I think the ones I have are too long for a hat.

Yes, mine are the same, there's a youtube video on how to use them for smaller projects, its linked in this thread, I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Can someone explain these instructions. I can't figure it out :confused:
    K 25 sts. Turn. Cast off 2 sts at beginning of this row, work to end. Work one row

Do I knit 25 sts and then turn the whole item around.
    How can I continue to knit as the wool is on the left needle now?
    How do I cast off 2 sts mid row (25 sts already knitted) when it says at the beginning?
    Basically I'm lost!

(25sts)
    TURN
    (25sts)

MargeS wrote: »
    Can someone explain these instructions. I can't figure it out :confused:

Do I knit 25 sts and then turn the whole item around.
    How can I continue to knit as the wool is on the left needle now?
    How do I cast off 2 sts mid row (25 sts already knitted) when it says at the beginning?
    Basically I'm lost!

(25sts)
    TURN
    (25sts)

I had to do something similar when I was knitting bobbles on a cardigan. It sounds to me as though when you knit the 25 sts and turn the work, the sts you've just knit will now be on the left so that when you cast off 2 you're actually casting off 2 that you've just knit. I would assume (although I'm not 100%) that when it says work to end you re knit those same 25 sts and then do a new row as normal.
    What are you knitting? It sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

kandr10 wrote: »
    It sounds to me as though when you knit the 25 sts and turn the work, the sts you've just knit will now be on the left so that when you cast off 2 you're actually casting off 2 that you've just knit. I would assume (although I'm not 100%) that when it says work to end you re knit those same 25 sts and then do a new row as normal.
    Hi kandr10. This is exactly what I thought too! But when I turn the garment, the thread is on the left needle. And it says to continue knitting rows, which leaves a hole in this row. :confused:
    I chose this pattern because it was so simple until I got to this instruction.
    It is for Neck Shaping.
    This is the pattern I'm trying:
    http://www.lindascraftique.com/free/vdpullover.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

I am doing these mittens http://www.jamiepossum.com/KumeuGloveletsPatternIncluding...
    And am confused by “work as setting rows 1 and 2”. do I repeat the cable reversing knits and purls or do I repeat rows 1and2. Do I start from 2? Pls help as I’m stuck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

PinkChick wrote: »
    I am doing these mittens http://www.jamiepossum.com/KumeuGloveletsPatternIncluding...
    And am confused by “work as setting rows 1 and 2”. do I repeat the cable reversing knits and purls or do I repeat rows 1and2. Do I start from 2? Pls help as I’m stuck!!

The link isn't working for me so can't see the original pattern but a setting row is usually where you set up the pattern- say if you were starting cables you would probably have a certain number of stocking stitches surrounded by either garter stitch or reverse stocking stitch, which you would work for a number of rows before doing the cable-y cross over bit. In this case I'd say you wouldn't repeat the cable, just go along with the pattern from where the cables are set up, probably rows 1 and 2 (as long as these aren't a separate border pattern eg ribbing). Sorry if this isn't the clearest but its hard to talk in general terms without the pattern. Happy knitting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

PinkChick wrote: »
    These gloves? http://www.jamiepossum.com/knitter%27s%20glovelets.html

Advertisement