Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A few questions about Manor Village (WIT)

• 20-07-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm moving into Manor Village in September coming and I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.
    What size beds are in the single ensuites? Basically, what size sheets should I be buying?
    What's the wifi in the building like (should I be considering buying my own modem)?
    Is there any other things you recommend I buy before I move down that I might not think of (eg: ear plugs lol)?
    I've already read a few threads about Manor Village on here and I know the reputation so please no negative comments about the accommodation.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

CatH13 wrote: »
    I'm moving into Manor Village in September coming and I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.
    What size beds are in the single ensuites? Basically, what size sheets should I be buying?
    What's the wifi in the building like (should I be considering buying my own modem)?
    Is there any other things you recommend I buy before I move down that I might not think of (eg: ear plugs lol)?
    I've already read a few threads about Manor Village on here and I know the reputation so please no negative comments about the accommodation.
    Thanks in advance :)

Hi there!
    I lived in manor village two years ago and had a single ensuite and lived with 3 others (2 single ensuites and a twin ensuite) In terms of buying sheets/duvets just buy the normal single size sheets. I'm not sure if there's wifi in there as there wasn't when I lived there, they had wired broadband. It was fairly good was down the odd time but overall it was good. I personally wouldn't buy my own broadband considering the place offers it to you for free. Id say they should have wifi in by now!

Things I'd recommend buying are just the basic things like toilet roll, food for your press/fridge shelf etc. it's really just the normal things that people sometimes end up forgetting. If they don't have the wifi I'd recommend getting a long broadband wire, some of the ones they provide are tiny!

I don't think it has a bad reputation tbh, I got on grand in the place, its secure, always clean&warm. To be fair it's prob one of the better types of accommodation that I lived in. You'll have the odd party here and there nothing out of the ordinary but most of the time security will shut them down if they ever get out of hand. if you've any questions fire away :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CatH13

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I lived in manor village two years ago and had a single ensuite and lived with 3 others (2 single ensuites and a twin ensuite) In terms of buying sheets/duvets just buy the normal single size sheets. I'm not sure if there's wifi in there as there wasn't when I lived there, they had wired broadband. It was fairly good was down the odd time but overall it was good. I personally wouldn't buy my own broadband considering the place offers it to you for free. Id say they should have wifi in by now!

Things I'd recommend buying are just the basic things like toilet roll, food for your press/fridge shelf etc. it's really just the normal things that people sometimes end up forgetting. If they don't have the wifi I'd recommend getting a long broadband wire, some of the ones they provide are tiny!

I don't think it has a bad reputation tbh, I got on grand in the place, its secure, always clean&warm. To be fair it's prob one of the better types of accommodation that I lived in. You'll have the odd party here and there nothing out of the ordinary but most of the time security will shut them down if they ever get out of hand. if you've any questions fire away :-)

I have no idea what I'm doing on this website, I only joined to ask about this so if I do something wrong sorry! haha
    Wired broadband would be fine, anything that isn't too slow is perfect! Thanks for the tip :)
    I've been living on my own for a while now so I'm used to stocking up on boring things haha I have to admit I'm nervous about living with students though.
    Thank you for telling me that! I was freaking myself out reading all the threads about strict security, its nice to hear about it from someone who didn't hate the place!
    What are the buses to the college like(on time, regular, etc)?
    Thanks for the help btw.

I have no idea what I'm doing on this website, I only joined to ask about this so if I do something wrong sorry! haha
    Wired broadband would be fine, anything that isn't too slow is perfect! Thanks for the tip :)
    I've been living on my own for a while now so I'm used to stocking up on boring things haha I have to admit I'm nervous about living with students though.
    Thank you for telling me that! I was freaking myself out reading all the threads about strict security, its nice to hear about it from someone who didn't hate the place!
    What are the buses to the college like(on time, regular, etc)?
    Thanks for the help btw.

I never found the Internet slow, its fairly fast! I went on to do further study after my two years in WIT so I know how you feel, I had to start all over again it was kind of daunting but it all worked out thankfully!

The security are only strict if yer being anyway annoying anyway they have to be strict of the place would be wrecked! I found the security to be grand, it's a two way street if you're nice to them they'll be flexible with you.

As far as I can remember with the buses there was two morning time buses one at 8:30 and another at 8:50. I think there was a home bus back to manor village around 5! be there about 5 or ten mins early as it used to fill up fast. The bus is free by the way! I didn't even realise they had a bus service before I moved in there. Your best to double check those bus times!

I never found the Internet slow, its fairly fast! I went on to do further study after my two years in WIT so I know how you feel, I had to start all over again it was kind of daunting but it all worked out thankfully!

The security are only strict if yer being anyway annoying anyway they have to be strict of the place would be wrecked! I found the security to be grand, it's a two way street if you're nice to them they'll be flexible with you.

As far as I can remember with the buses there was two morning time buses one at 8:30 and another at 8:50. I think there was a home bus back to manor village around 5! be there about 5 or ten mins early as it used to fill up fast. The bus is free by the way! I didn't even realise they had a bus service before I moved in there. Your best to double check those bus times!

Dauntings a good word for it :P I know I'm not going to like the room checks but its only for a year. I'm sure they're fine as long you're not thrashing the place haha What are they like for overnight guests?
    It's only a ten/fifteen minute walk anyway isn't it? It's a nice touch to have the buses though :)
    I think I might have to go down early and figure things out anyway, I've only been in Waterford once and that was for the open day haha

Dauntings a good word for it :P I know I'm not going to like the room checks but its only for a year. I'm sure they're fine as long you're not thrashing the place haha What are they like for overnight guests?
    It's only a ten/fifteen minute walk anyway isn't it? It's a nice touch to have the buses though :)
    I think I might have to go down early and figure things out anyway, I've only been in Waterford once and that was for the open day haha

With over night guests your meant to book them in a week in advance and pay a fiver but no one ever does so just go straight up the stairs/elevator!
    the walk to wit is around 15-20 mins to the main campus (I was in the T&L building) you'll find your way around Waterford so fast, it's not big at all! Yeah the bus service is a great touch, where I am now the bus service is €20 a week in & out to college!

• Advertisement

With over night guests your meant to book them in a week in advance and pay a fiver but no one ever does so just go straight up the stairs/elevator!
    the walk to wit is around 15-20 mins to the main campus (I was in the T&L building) you'll find your way around Waterford so fast, it's not big at all! Yeah the bus service is a great touch, where I am now the bus service is €20 a week in & out to college!
    Do you get away with it if they're in before they lock the doors? Yeah, its a gorgeous place but the town is so tiny! haha Thats not that bad, but it would be better if it was free lol

Do you get away with it if they're in before they lock the doors? Yeah, its a gorgeous place but the town is so tiny! haha Thats not that bad, but it would be better if it was free lol

Bring them in early enough like 5/6pm and you'll be grand. Go out to Dunmore if you get the chance it's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Haven't really read the thread but don't bother evening trying to get friends booked in for the big events in the year (Fresher's week, Christmas Day, RAG Week etc). They won't bite and never do I'm afraid.

Good place for a 1st year to live though, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

I've been living on my own for a while now so I'm used to stocking up on boring things haha .

I'm not sure what age you are but going by that comment I expect you're older than 18/19. I really wouldn't recommend Manor for anyone over 21 tbh. I lived there this year for my first year in WIT and it's grand but the place is full of 17/18 years old straight out of school, as to be expected.

The internet can be really slow at times, but it's not the worst. It's crap you can only use your laptop at the desk provided in the bedroom or in the kitchen/sitting room.

As Mugatuu said security are grand as long as you don't piss them off, same with the receptionists.

They put on 4-5 buses this year for the early morning. 8:15, 8:30, 8:45 and 9:00, I think there was another time somewhere in there. As you can guess the nearer it gets to class starting the more the buses become packed. There's a bus in the evening but it's always packed, the walk to Cork Rd. is no bother, maybe not in the rain.

The best thing about Manor are the beds! Really comfortable and yeah, most are single ensuites. They got new TV's this year for most of the apartments so that's pretty good too.

Do get earplugs! There's no let up from the noise, even during exam time. Also, if you get an apartment in the vicinity of the front reception area, be prepared to be woken up by one of the security guards giving his car a good spray down every couple of nights...

If you have a car, do not park it in the open car park area, drunken eejits were ripping off the wipers this year.

Take photos of EVERYTHING when you move in, get the receptionist to sign it, date it etc. Write a list of things that don't work, do the same with that.

Oh yeah, the doors are key card operated. When you walk in to your room it locks automatically so you think you're grand but remember to turn the little lock on the door because the repair man/ receptionist/ cleaners just knock once and then barge in (with the universal key card or whatever).

One thing we did in manor was take note of everything they provide you with! Count everything like plates, pots &pans. etc and make notes of any small markings around the place they will eat into your deposit otherwise, we did the photo thing and got them to sign it. We all chipped in €4/€5 and got plain white plates, cups&bowls in the poundshop and replaced anything we broke throughout the year. If you are older then 21 you could request to live with people of your own age and they won't mind at all. If something like the kettle or toaster stops working or anything in general go straight down to reception and get it sorted and have them replace it otherwise your deposit will be nonexistent.

• Advertisement

KillMona wrote: »
    I'm not sure what age you are but going by that comment I expect you're older than 18/19. I really wouldn't recommend Manor for anyone over 21 tbh. I lived there this year for my first year in WIT and it's grand but the place is full of 17/18 years old straight out of school, as to be expected.

The internet can be really slow at times, but it's not the worst. It's crap you can only use your laptop at the desk provided in the bedroom or in the kitchen/sitting room.

As Mugatuu said security are grand as long as you don't piss them off, same with the receptionists.

They put on 4-5 buses this year for the early morning. 8:15, 8:30, 8:45 and 9:00, I think there was another time somewhere in there. As you can guess the nearer it gets to class starting the more the buses become packed. There's a bus in the evening but it's always packed, the walk to Cork Rd. is no bother, maybe not in the rain.

The best thing about Manor are the beds! Really comfortable and yeah, most are single ensuites. They got new TV's this year for most of the apartments so that's pretty good too.

Do get earplugs! There's no let up from the noise, even during exam time. Also, if you get an apartment in the vicinity of the front reception area, be prepared to be woken up by one of the security guards giving his car a good spray down every couple of nights...

If you have a car, do not park it in the open car park area, drunken eejits were ripping off the wipers this year.

Take photos of EVERYTHING when you move in, get the receptionist to sign it, date it etc. Write a list of things that don't work, do the same with that.

Oh yeah, the doors are key card operated. When you walk in to your room it locks automatically so you think you're grand but remember to turn the little lock on the door because the repair man/ receptionist/ cleaners just knock once and then barge in (with the universal key card or whatever).

I'm 19 but I'm used to living as a working adult not a student, I haven't lived with my parents are a good year and a half.. I might ask for an older group, without sounding bitchy I really can't stand immature people. So far that all sounds reasonable and to be expected, I'll definitely be taking photos of the place when I move in, why do the receptionists walk into your room though?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Haven't really read the thread but don't bother evening trying to get friends booked in for the big events in the year (Fresher's week, Christmas Day, RAG Week etc). They won't bite and never do I'm afraid.

Good place for a 1st year to live though, enjoy.
    Thank you! :)

One thing we did in manor was take note of everything they provide you with! Count everything like plates, pots &pans. etc and make notes of any small markings around the place they will eat into your deposit otherwise, we did the photo thing and got them to sign it. We all chipped in €4/€5 and got plain white plates, cups&bowls in the poundshop and replaced anything we broke throughout the year. If you are older then 21 you could request to live with people of your own age and they won't mind at all. If something like the kettle or toaster stops working or anything in general go straight down to reception and get it sorted and have them replace it otherwise your deposit will be nonexistent.

That plates idea is a great one. I might steal that!
    Where is the launderette? and is it safe to leave your clothes unwatched there?

That plates idea is a great one. I might steal that!
    Where is the launderette? and is it safe to leave your clothes unwatched there?

The laundrette is just behind reception & near the games room as far as I can remember! I remember asking about the prices and remember thinking they were really expensive, you'd get a better prices in town! Double check the prices with reception. (What I did last year was just drop over to my friends house and use their washing machine and give them dinner the odd time or give them a couple of euro towards the bill!)

The laundrette is just behind reception & near the games room as far as I can remember! I remember asking about the prices and remember thinking they were really expensive, you'd get a better prices in town! Double check the prices with reception. (What I did last year was just drop over to my friends house and use their washing machine and give them dinner the odd time or give them a couple of euro towards the bill!)

I'd believe it. Thats a good idea, thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Good advice. That should always be done with every rented property / item.

Everyone get out a phone and just picture anything and everything. Most apartments are full of little things wrong that the last tenant hid from the inspectors. Dont lose your deposit over last years tenants.

Good advice. That should always be done with every rented property / item.

Everyone get out a phone and just picture anything and everything. Most apartments are full of little things wrong that the last tenant hid from the inspectors. Dont lose your deposit over last years tenants.

I'll try not to anyway! No point losing 400 quid because I didn't take photos :)

I'm 19 but I'm used to living as a working adult not a student, I haven't lived with my parents are a good year and a half.. I might ask for an older group, without sounding bitchy I really can't stand immature people. So far that all sounds reasonable and to be expected, I'll definitely be taking photos of the place when I move in, why do the receptionists walk into your room though?

Oh right, that's grand sure. I was the same age moving in.

Well the odd time the receptionists double up as cleaners (if the cleaners have clocked off and something needs cleaning etc.). One of my flatmates dropped out and someone else was taking his room so she needed to clean it, anyway my room is right beside his and she must have got mixed up and just barged in. It was grand, it was during the day but the fact that they can just walk in and our of your bedroom anytime they liked annoyed me.

I was in another college previous to going to WIT and I was in a house share where the landlord rarely came in and if he did, he knocked and waited for us to answer the door but in Manor it's a free for all. The first weekend I stayed up, I was by myself and a woman just walked in at 7pm, she was doing an inventory or something but Christ, I didn't know who the fcuk it was. Same with the repair guy just walking in out of the blue to check the plumbing or the like.

Just regarding the spot checks, some times they won't tell you, so you kind of have to keep the place looking fairly well at all times. The have a reminder up at Christmas, but they'll check your bedrooms on the October midterm and whenever else suits. If they get in any new equipment you can be sure you'll pay for it by being fined just out of the blue. The apartment I was living in was never fined, we were all fairly tidy, then one day we found a fine for 50 quid, just as they put new TVs in, same with the other apartments on our floor. They made up some ridiculous excuse for the fine anyway.

I wouldn't bother with the laundrette, it's too expensive. I think the foreign students use it mostly.

Btw, a good idea is to buy a door stop for your bedroom door, so you can go in and out when you're in the apartment without having to bring your card with you.

Btw, a good idea is to buy a door stop for your bedroom door, so you can go in and out when you're in the apartment without having to bring your card with you.

Don't buy the rubber door stops we did that before and mine ended up getting mangled under the door and i spent ages trying to remove it. Get one of the timber wedge ones. TBH you're better off just pushing out the lock so the door doesn't close in properly and it keeps it open.

Don't buy the rubber door stops we did that before and mine ended up getting mangled under the door and i spent ages trying to remove it. Get one of the timber wedge ones. TBH you're better off just pushing out the lock so the door doesn't close in properly and it keeps it open.

I had a weighted cushioned one and it worked fine, anytime we used to use the lock on the doors, the door would always end up just closing.

• Advertisement

I had a weighted cushioned one and it worked fine, anytime we used to use the lock on the doors, the door would always end up just closing.

I never thought of using one of those weighted cushions! :pac:

Oh right, that's grand sure. I was the same age moving in.

Well the odd time the receptionists double up as cleaners (if the cleaners have clocked off and something needs cleaning etc.). One of my flatmates dropped out and someone else was taking his room so she needed to clean it, anyway my room is right beside his and she must have got mixed up and just barged in. It was grand, it was during the day but the fact that they can just walk in and our of your bedroom anytime they liked annoyed me.

I was in another college previous to going to WIT and I was in a house share where the landlord rarely came in and if he did, he knocked and waited for us to answer the door but in Manor it's a free for all. The first weekend I stayed up, I was by myself and a woman just walked in at 7pm, she was doing an inventory or something but Christ, I didn't know who the fcuk it was. Same with the repair guy just walking in out of the blue to check the plumbing or the like.

Just regarding the spot checks, some times they won't tell you, so you kind of have to keep the place looking fairly well at all times. The have a reminder up at Christmas, but they'll check your bedrooms on the October midterm and whenever else suits. If they get in any new equipment you can be sure you'll pay for it by being fined just out of the blue. The apartment I was living in was never fined, we were all fairly tidy, then one day we found a fine for 50 quid, just as they put new TVs in, same with the other apartments on our floor. They made up some ridiculous excuse for the fine anyway.

I wouldn't bother with the laundrette, it's too expensive. I think the foreign students use it mostly.

Thanks, they have nice weighted cushions in penneys right now for cheap so I'll pick one up :)
    If the launderette is really expensive where else can I go in the town? Everyone I know is going to live 4 hours away so I can't bring it home each weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Hi

did you move into manor village afters ?
    I'm starting first year in WIT in Sept and love to knpw how manor village was?

Hi

did you move into manor village afters ?
    I'm starting first year in WIT in Sept and love to knpw how manor village was?

Hiya,
    I did end up moving into manor.. It's definitely not bad, the apartments pretty standard. They're putting in Wifi now which is good for everyone next year. I have a big issue with the staff though. They're very rude, when you go down to complain about somethin, ask a question, etc they treat you like you're being a huge pest wasting their time. They don't have any respect for those of us who live here, some of the staff just walk into apartments with no warning. So be aware of that before you move in. At least it's secure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Hiya,
    I did end up moving into manor.. It's definitely not bad, the apartments pretty standard. They're putting in Wifi now which is good for everyone next year. I have a big issue with the staff though. They're very rude, when you go down to complain about somethin, ask a question, etc they treat you like you're being a huge pest wasting their time. They don't have any respect for those of us who live here, some of the staff just walk into apartments with no warning. So be aware of that before you move in. At least it's secure though.

Cheers sounds like maybe not the place to live so. How were they with people coming over, after night out etc, parties and what kind of people lovely there?

Advertisement