Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for people interested in 'Go' in the southeast

Options

Comments

Go is over 2500 years old and is arguably the purest game of strategy that exists. It is great fun to play aswell!

There are Go meetups in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Belfast, but none in the southeast.

Theres something special about playing the game irl rather than on the internet, and Dublin is a long way to go for me to play (pun not intended!)

I propose starting a Go night in Waterford, as it is the most populous city of the south east and also fairly remote from the other cities which do have Go nights.

I'm looking for anyone at all whos interested, so we can make this a regular event in Waterford. For example, say on a certain weekday evening every 2 weeks in some nice quiet pub. Experience playing Go, or a Go set is not at all a requirement.

Did you have any joy with this?..I was half thinking of doing the same but in Ennis..went up to the Galway club a few times, but mainly play on the net now..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

No. The go society mentioned that chess clubs can be a good place to find potential go players, and recommended contacting them and maybe bringing a go set to one of their nights.
    I did contact the Waterford chess club but got no response. I should try again probably the email address I contacted is defunct.

Ah shur the joys of it..although its handy enough online..are you any good?..I'm playing since Feb direction property..mainly online..had a board for years, but had no idea of the depth of the game..I'm a bit obsessed with it at the minute..

I'm about 7k. I play on kgs, which is a great site. I've been playing for years though on and off. I'll play really intensely for a week or two and then wont play at all for a year. tbh I find playing online kinda stressful, cus its all anonymous and has a rating system, I find this weird pressure to win. I learned irl from my housemate, we were mismatched in skill (he obviously started off way better than me but I learned and got way better than him) but I still really enjoyed it irl.

we should have a game on kgs!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd be on for a game alright..I generally play on ogs or pandanet(igs)..I'm about 14k at the minute..it's difficult to learn yourself too I think..there's so much to it..head would be melted..I'm thinking of signing up to online lessons there on the internet go school..i find there's no one to play below 10k on kgs..

We can play a teaching game if u want. Also I taught myself, I didnt stress about it, just kept playing games and gradually improved.
    I'm actually currently recovering from having some wisdom teeth out atm so I have a lot of spare time, can play whenever.

Yeah, that would be cool man, thanks..I'm about the next few days there as well, so whenever suits yourself really, well, apart from tomorrow evening..

I could play now.

Hey..you still around?..could play there in a few minutes if you're still on for it..

• Advertisement

I'm on kgs now. name is Yendor. I started a game called 'teaching game for CDQ'
    If its too late its fine. we can reschedule tomorrow afternoon or day after tomorrow.

hey..yeah, im trying to click into it there..

Advertisement