Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ard Ri Hotel, Ferrybank, Waterford.

Options
  • 01-11-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

http://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/The_Ard_Ri_Hotel_Waterford.htm

What's the deal with this place?

From the road it looks derelict with all its smashed windows and fenced off entrance.
    But on this website its still listed as open and from the photos it looks quite nice and modern (1990's). The rooms must have had a brilliant views of Waterford city.

What happened there? Why was it closed? When did it close? And what's going to happen to it?

Anybody know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

And what's going to happen to it?

I just answered the last part of my question when found this...

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3299&Itemid=10343&ed=317

Looks class!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Has some potential, not so sure how it would turn out if the new application gets in. Such a shame its no longer a hotel - magnificent views I would say. Would have been a great spot for a 5 star hotel.

Oh and please - when posting replies about the history of this place (this applies on Boards.ie in general also) can you make it factual and back it up with recognised sources! Already have one deleted post which would have probably ended up with Boards being sued if left be! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its just being maintained and guarded at the moment to prevent any more vandalism. I was there last week, its a pretty sad sight inside.

Most fixtures and fittings gone, kitchens stripped of equipment etc. I wasn't able to go upstairs becasue its too dangerous since vandals went through the place smashing windows - there is lots of broken glass everywhere, some still falling when the wind catches it.

I went into the ballroom, which was eerie, as I remember what it was like when the discos were there. Apart from the dereliction, not much has changed. The restaurant is similar, fantastic views from there across the city.

Such a shame - and a mystery - that it was closed, surely it was still viable.

Pitiful now though.

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did you manage to get up through knowing somebody or just took a gander by yourself?

Ha no if I was there by myself I'd have certainly gone upstairs!

I know a guy who's working there.

A.

• Advertisement

alinton wrote: »
    Ha no if I was there by myself I'd have certainly gone upstairs!

I know a guy who's working there.

A.

Should have taken pics :p

I always wondered do they actually have that place with security 24/7 - must cost a fair bit!

I wanted to take photos, but wasn't allowed!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LesRitaMitsouko

That building shouldn't have been put there in the first place. It should be demolished and trees should be planted there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Tis a pity its closed alright. Had many a session at weddings and debs up there. Was a great place. Used to e fun trying to walk down the hill upto it when I was pissered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

All I remember from the Ard Rí is trying to take a short-cut straight down. Cue the uncontrollable rolling.

How I didn't end up in front of a stream of traffic on the dual carriage way is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

AdMMM wrote: »
    All I remember from the Ard Rí is trying to take a short-cut straight down. Cue the uncontrollable rolling.

How I didn't end up in front of a stream of traffic on the dual carriage way is beyond me!
    That was fun ha ha. Might sneak up there some night

That building shouldn't have been put there in the first place.

Well I agree, it always was a blott on the landscape.

But I guess in the late 60s, when the economy was prehistoric, the planners were delighted anywaone was gonna spend any money in the town, so they weren't going to refuse.

Besides which, in those days brown envelopes weren't even needed.

A.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think the Ard Ri Hotel was built around 1969/1970. The hotel should never have been built in that location in the first place, but urban planning was virtually non existent in Ireland back then.

In the current recession environment, there is just no way that the ambitious redevelopment of the Ard Ri site, as shown in the Waterford Today article, is going to be viable. What could be done, though, would be to either reclad the current hotel in a new skin as it's a very dated eyesore or demolish and build a new hotel in the same spot. The Ard Ri should be reopened as a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

AdMMM wrote: »

Been there. Done that...

In a kilt... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I used to work there many a moon ago. Let's hope they do something nice with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

dlofnep wrote: »
    I used to work there many a moon ago. Let's hope they do something nice with it.

+1 fond memories of working there .... also some not so fond memories but you can't win 'em all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i heard a rumor that recently it was used as a place of ill repute???? <snip>
    urban legend or truth??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 screwtape

alinton wrote: »
    Well I agree, it always was a blott on the landscape.

A.

Okay, so i'll admit that it was on par with the old tax office for architectural (oh that's a dodgy spelling) beauty but it was always Christmas when they done that thig with the lights in the rooms and spelled out XMAS or something!!!! It's just not the same wandering around drunk on the quay and not seeing that on New Years!!!

robtri; Cleaned up your post. If this is confirmed by a credible source, send me a PM and ill consider the post again. Until then, leaving those posts up could potentially get Boards.ie (and possibly even you) into legal action.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Shur the guards were up there and everything over it I thought? It was all over town anyway. But knowing this town it might have been rubbish since everywhere they can think of was involved in such activities.

Nope!Just doublechecked with someone and nothing was in the locals about it anyway so was probably just hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gossip = slander on occasions and unless there are clear facts to back up statements then please dont post gossip here.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

This is what i know and this is not concrete. But The Ard Ri was the original owners and then leased it to the Jurys Doyle Hotel Group when the lease was up Jurys decided not to renew it as it was loosing a mad amount of money and Ard Ri took control again and could not sutain the losses and decieded to close it as it is not costing them anything sitting there empty because the morgate is long paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sully wrote: »
    robtri; Cleaned up your post. If this is confirmed by a crediable source, send me a PM and ill consider the post again. Until then, leaving those posts up could potnetially get Boards.ie (and possibly even you) into legal action.

Cheers.

no problem, not sure on it at all, thats why put it out there, but in hindsight I can see where you coming from..

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This is what i know and this is not concrete. But The Ard Ri was the original owners and then leased it to the Jurys Doyle Hotel Group when the lease was up Jurys decided not to renew it as it was loosing a mad amount of money and Ard Ri took control again and could not sutain the losses and decieded to close it as it is not costing them anything sitting there empty because the morgate is long paid.

I'm fairly sure it was actually sold to Jurys. And Jurys then sold it to McEniff. McEniff were to do a big renovation and closed it allegedly to do just that. But they then changed their minds and it is not derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

I'm 100% sure that Jurys leased it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

And McEniff?

Munster Express and News and Star both also say Breens sold it to Jurys, who then sold it to McEniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bards

Kahless wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it was actually sold to Jurys. And Jurys then sold it to McEniff. McEniff were to do a big renovation and closed it allegedly to do just that. But they then changed their minds and it is not derelict.

yep , don't forget they (McEniff) spent as couple of million Euro re-doing the outside, installing new windows and all the bedrooms were re-furbished about a year before they closed it altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just remember that the McEniff brothers like all Donegal people are very clever ;)

I believe it was something to do with them needing funds to buy another, more prestigious hotel.

The Ard Ri was profitable, but it made sense to them to sell it to a developer. Why he did nothing years is beyond me though, why didn't they keep it open, at least then it would have been earning _some_ money.

Or they could have approached one of the chains, like Day's or Park Inn to manage it for them for a while.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah they really should have maintained it because I reckon it must be serious serious work getting heavy building materials up that hill. I mean you can barely get a car up most of the time.

Edit: Unless there another way of getting to it that im unaware of??

Advertisement