Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Illegal workers

• 30-06-2011 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

I don't want to to descend into racism as it is nothing at all to do with race. I was watching one of those UK programs about illegal workers. They go into various businesses and deport anyone who has not got the right to be in the country. They seem very professional in doing it.

As all the other state bodies in Ireland as far as I can see are a disaster (FAS, HSE, financhal regulator etc) is there anyone doing this in Ireland? I have never seen or heard about this happening in Ireland. Is anybody doing anything to detect these workers? Apart from people who fall into their laps by applying for asylum and getting refused and deported I have never seen or heard of it. Never seen it in the papers. Never heard of any business getting fined.

These are all jobs that are needed by people who live in Ireland (Irish or Legal immigrants).

Am I wrong in my assumption that this is yet another state run area that is a disaster in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

i think the law is too lax on exploitation of illegal workers,like the tax defaulting there should be in place heavy fines with a name and shame of companies and individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

eco2live wrote: »
    I don't want to to descend into racism ...
    But it probably will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

El Weirdo wrote: »
    But it probably will.

I don't doubt it that some thick mutton head will not get the point and make the usual comments. :rolleyes:

I was hoping I was wrong and there is an efficent agency working tirelessly to deal with this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

....is there anyone doing this in Ireland?

There are a number of people doing it. The Garda National Immigration Bureau being only one, (National Employment Rights Authority) NERA inspectors being another.

It does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've been on the Belfast Dublin bus and the gardaí stop the bus just after the border and ask for ID.
    It's pretty relaxed, if you have no ID they just were you are from.

One Filipino couple working in NI were flying home from Dublin and got pulled off the bus. Their flights would have cost several hundred or more, but taken off the bus.
    A UK work permit does not give you permission to enter the Republic, rules are rules I suppose so if you break them you miss your flight and lose your money.

Taken to Dundalk garda station for an interview

So some work is done

You might get the bus ten times and never see it and then see it twice in a week. I did that trip a lot over a few months so it happens now and again, maybe random

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

In 2009:

Romanians have been issued with just 281 work permits since 2007, while 66 were given to Bulgarians. But 22,414 Romanians and 1,915 Bulgarians have been given PPS numbers.

WTF. just as I thought

Source:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6493783.ece

So incompetent that illegal workers become legal and get issued with PPS numbers. Did the Irish state ever hear of a computer network and sharing information. We are paying dole to scum in prison and issuing PPS numbers to people who should not have them. We need to close down these state agency's and start again with new terms and conditions for workers and management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

mikemac wrote: »
    I've been on the Belfast Dublin bus and the gardaí stop the bus just after the border and ask for ID.

Everyone or just those with darker skin ?

I do know of a garda receiving a well deserved bollocking As Gaeilge from a black guy on said bus to cheers and applause from fellow passengers.

As I said it's relaxed, just hold up what you have and if you've nothing it's pretty much;

"I'm from Tipp, working in Belfast" in your best bogger accent when you are asked
    "Shure grand so"

Yes, the people who we'll say don't look Irish (don't flame me, you know what I mean) like maybe a Filipino will need to show ID and answer where they are going

As I said, a UK work permit doesn't permit you to enter to the Republic so even if they're going shopping in Dublin for the day, well it's a trip to Dundalk garda station for a talk

Yes, the people who we'll say don't look Irish (don't flame me, you know what I mean)

Yes I know exactly what you mean :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

As I said it's relaxed, just hold up what you have and if you've nothing it's pretty much;

"I'm from Tipp, working in Belfast" in your best bogger accent when you are asked
    "Shure grand so"

Yes, the people who we'll say don't look Irish (don't flame me, you know what I mean) like maybe a Filipino will need to show ID and answer where they are going

As I said, a UK work permit doesn't permit you to enter to the Republic so even if they're going shopping in Dublin for the day, well it's a trip to Dundalk garda station for a talk

Why does everyone have to be so politically correct obviously people with dark skin are more likely to be the ones who could be illegal immigrants and there is nothing racist about saying that. Do you really think the ginger fella in front of him on the bus is more likely of being an illegal immigrant:eek:

• Advertisement

I think you need to quote the post above me if you want to talk about politically correctness

Apartheid has what exactly to do with Co Louth and Co Down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

deisedave wrote: »
    Why does everyone have to be so politically correct obviously people with dark skin are more likely to be the ones who could be illegal immigrants and there is nothing racist about saying that. Do you really think the ginger fella in front of him on the bus is more likely of being an illegal immigrant:eek:

Why does it always have to be about the gingers ?

Do you really think the ginger fella in front of him on the bus is more likely of being an illegal immigrant:eek:

Ah yes racial profiling the mentality that gave us the Guildford 4...............

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Ah yes racial profiling the mentality that gave us the Guildford 4...............

Really if you were looking for possible illegal immigrants are you going to check the people that look African and Asian or the Irish looking people on the bus, I travel to Newry a lot and it generally is the foreign looking people who get checked up on. How dare they check to see if immigrants are legal or not. :rolleyes:

Some people look for reasons to be offended

How dare they check to see if immigrants are legal or not. :rolleyes:

You mean people who look like immigrants :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

I don't doubt it that some thick mutton head will not get the point and make the usual comments. :rolleyes:
    Thats rascist against Kerry people.

You mean people who look like immigrants :rolleyes:

Really? In reality if you were a guard and your job was to look for illegal immigrants, would you not look out for dark skin which is not a trait of Irish people. I know people with dark skin can be citizens of Ireland as well but I would say majority of illegal immigrants are dark skinned.

Really? In reality if you were a guard and your job was to look for illegal immigrants, would you not look out for dark skin which is not a trait of Irish people.

I know lots of Irish people with dark skin.

If you were a guard and your job was to look for burglars would you not look out for fellows in stripey jumpers carrying big bags with SWAG written on them ?

I know lots of Irish people with dark skin.

If you were a guard and your job was to look for burglars would you not look out for fellows in stripey jumpers carrying big bags with SWAG written on them ?

No point arguing with you, your not going to talk sense no matter what I say.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Dey tuk eeerrrr jaaaabbbbssss

i think the law is too lax on exploitation of illegal workers

and legal ones for that matter.
    No point arguing with you, your not going to talk sense no matter what I say.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funny I was just going to say..........:rolleyes:

mackg wrote: »
    Dey tuk eeerrrr jaaaabbbbssss

If a person of dark skin was legal here I don't think they would have a problem flash there passport briefly for 5 seconds. It's mostly the do gooder's that try to make the point they are not racist that oppose it, Any of my friends that are foreign are legal and would have no problem with just showing proof briefly when crossing the border;)

Why does it always have to be about the gingers ?

"gingers" cannot be illegal workers they can only be undocumented workers

Romanians have been issued with just 281 work permits since 2007, while 66 were given to Bulgarians. But 22,414 Romanians and 1,915 Bulgarians have been given PPS numbers.

Isint there something about Romanians/Bulgarians having the right to reside anywhere in the EU without a work permit if they (or a member of their immediate family) is self employed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Yup. Let's boot out all of the illegals. But we're going to have to be kinda hush hush about it because if all our illegals get sent home from Australia, USA, NZ and Canada we're fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

and legal ones for that matter.
    Good point,i cant imagine how much went in hotels,private houses,other businesses,during the good times whilst everyone worked on building sites,sold houses and raise a glass to FF for giving us "the boom"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

My bro runs a coffee shop, he pays the legal minimum wage to the teenagers that work there over the summer, he pays their PRSI etc.
    There is a takeaway/cafe across the road, at which there is sometimes trouble at night, trouble that sees the guards in there, and when they arrive, half the staff light out across the fields, it would be comical if the kip wasn't impacting on his business. I'd say half the takeaways in town employ illegals from Pakistan or India and they are never inspected for valid work permits, the same goes for half the building sites during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

conorhal wrote: »
    My bro runs a coffee shop, he pays the legal minimum wage to the teenagers that work there over the summer, he pays their PRSI etc.
    There is a takeaway/cafe across the road, at which there is sometimes trouble at night, trouble that sees the guards in there, and when they arrive, half the staff light out across the fields, it would be comical if the kip wasn't impacting on his business. I'd say half the takeaways in town employ illegals from Pakistan or India and they are never inspected for valid work permits, the same goes for half the building sites during the boom.

That is not right to imply that they are illegal, another thing how do you know they are from india and pakistan, just because they have dark skin. You would be able to tell what nationality they are just by the tone of their skin. Do africans and Carribean/west indies people look and act them same? No, they are very different to each other. Most indians in Ireland are educated are here on work visas or student visas to study as for many pakistanis well they couldn't be trusted, its not the people its their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yup. Let's boot out all of the illegals. But we're going to have to be kinda hush hush about it because if all our illegals get sent home from Australia.

Well they already do, illegals get caught, detained and deported all the time.

Its not as if Australian immigration ignore Irish illegals because Ireland is lax in that department.

Why should illegals have a job when 15% of legals don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

That is not right to imply that they are illegal, another thing how do you know they are from india and pakistan, just because they have dark skin. You would be able to tell what nationality they are just by the tone of their skin. Do africans and Carribean/west indies people look and act them same? No, they are very different to each other. Most indians in Ireland are educated are here on work visas or student visas to study as for many pakistanis well they couldn't be trusted, its not the people its their religion.

Indeed, they are probably just Irish citizens who happen to enjoy going for midnight runs through the fields any time the Gardai arrive.

Only a racist would think that something like that is suspicious which may indicate they were working illegally.

Advertisement