Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You don't see too many of those E36 Hardtops driving round
    That car looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Ordered MAFs for M5 from maf-shop. Slight pinking. Will hopefully do the trick.

Getting ready to clean up the 8er over the weekend for sale.

The 2 of them together should make for a decent pic... and the Esty price of place in between :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

How many cars to you have E39?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

OH(ex) ran off with the original E39 (530d) so now have
    2001 E39 M5 with 59k on the clock
    1991 E31 850ci with 80 on the clock
    and the Esty

In past 3 years: - W202 2.8, Bora tdi, E11 corolla, 2 starlets, LS400 (ucf20), 100 series cruiser amazon, RRS

and before that, Nissan Patrol, E39 530d (not OH), 90 series cruiser, BB4 prelude, Volvo S40 and a Honda civic.

probably forgetting one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Had my audi a4 2.0 tdi remapped by joe power today, I absolutely love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

E39MSport wrote: »
    OH(ex) ran off with the original E39 (530d) so now have
    2001 E39 M5 with 59k on the clock
    1991 E31 850ci with 80 on the clock
    and the Esty

In past 3 years: - W202 2.8, Bora tdi, E11 corolla, 2 starlets, LS400 (ucf20), 100 series cruiser amazon, RRS

and before that, Nissan Patrol, E39 530d (not OH), 90 series cruiser, BB4 prelude, Volvo S40 and a Honda civic.

probably forgetting one or two.

Is that your M5 that got detailed on BMW driver per chance? The silver one? 59k miles, you must have a peach on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Is that your M5 that got detailed on BMW driver per chance? The silver one? 59k miles, you must have a peach on your hands.

You obviously missed this! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77309546&postcount=3862

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Started to rebuild my yellow car :)

Um....
    Image116.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Test fitted my E90 heating mats. Fit perfectly but the thigh support will need to be trimmed down. The bolsters will be heated too.
    DSC_0216.JPG

Started stripping down the passenger seat. First thing I did was remove the back plastic which you can see to the right in the first picture. Then I had to remove the bolts holding the back of the seat on and take off the bowden cable.
    DSC_0214.JPG

The back is finally off after 6 bolts.
    DSC_0217.JPG

Stripping off the leather on the back.
    DSC_0218.JPG

Stripping the base as well.
    DSC_0219.JPG

Base of the seat without any cover. :)
    DSC_0220.JPG

Here is the leather from the base. The thigh support and the base are all one piece. This should make dyeing the leather a lot easier when it is off the seat.
    DSC_0221.JPG

And the back leather and base.
    DSC_0222.JPGDSC_0223.JPG

Took a little under an hour and a half to strip it down. Putting it back will take a bit longer since I will be putting in polyester cladding to renew the feeling in the seat and will have to be careful with the heating mat when I am hog ringing it. I will also swap the seat bases since the driver side is a bit worn. This should help them last a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dgt wrote: »
    Started to rebuild my yellow car :)

Um....
    Image116.jpg

You have a broom yellow punto sporting?
    When did that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    When did that happen?

Is it not forest green?? :D

When did that happen?

I have the car a while, December 2009. Needed work done to it, just never had the time to sort it properly! I always wanted to restore it to former glory :) alas, with he arrival of several other cars, it got put on the back burner and currently sits in my garden awaiting rebuilding, most of the hard work done. Being sold off to another member here, I hate seeing it go to loss as it is, rather see it back on the roads driving again :) Was my daily driver during the winter of 2010, a tough 2 months for the car with nearly 2k miles put up in very harsh conditions! It has air con, leather Abarth wheel, factory body kit, lowered on Eibach super streets etc

Here it is in better days :)
    Image0210.jpg

Putting the leather back on today I stuck a hog ring into my finger. It was on the other side of the metal bar as well so I was just stuck there for a while until someone got cutters for me. At least it didn't go too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The abarth front bumper is class dgt. Thatd be a nice car (with proper abarth wheels or Alfa teledials)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

The abarth front bumper is class dgt. Thatd be a nice car (with proper abarth wheels or Alfa teledials)

+1. Always liked those Puntos. Especially in the Sporting guise. With Teledials it would look savage.

gollywog wrote: »

Glad to see you got it done. What figures did you get on the Dyno? Sound chap Joe.

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Putting the leather back on today I stuck a hog ring into my finger. It was on the other side of the metal bar as well so I was just stuck there for a while until someone got cutters for me. At least it didn't go too deep.

White leather with optional blood-red trim :pac:

White leather with optional blood-red trim :pac:

It came in handy to redye the red leather on the m stripes:D

Glad to see you got it done. What figures did you get on the Dyno? Sound chap Joe.

Cheers man! It's running 174hp and 290ftLbs of torque now... I'm a very happy boy! Very noticeable difference, loved it before but it's so much better now :) and ya joe seems a sound lad, very easy going

Yeah, he's chilled out alright. But he seriously knows his stuff. He brought mine from 105 to 155, and from 174ft/lb to 252 ft/lb.

Six months later, cars running just as strong. But I love the way the power is all the way through the (admittedly) short rev range, and that the torque comes all the way through. Not just in one big sudden, short burst.

If you have it got it already, your next mod should be cruise control.

• Advertisement

Today I had too much free time
    Image127.jpg

A 166 gearknob not in a 166 :pac:
    Image128.jpg

Can't wait to cobble this in :D:D:D
    Image1252.jpg

Yeah, he's chilled out alright. But he seriously knows his stuff. He brought mine from 105 to 155, and from 174ft/lb to 252 ft/lb.

Six months later, cars running just as strong. But I love the way the power is all the way through the (admittedly) short rev range, and that the torque comes all the way through. Not just in one big sudden, short burst.

Wow that was a massive boost he gave you... And I'm glad to hear it's still goin great :) that's the most obvious difference in mine too, before the power came low in the revs and flattened out and went very quick, while now it's smooth and linear all the way up, it's really brought the car to life!
    I already have cruise control man, its a UK import and a full s line so has all the goodies.
    Thinkin of other mods now, any suggestions lol!

Wow that was a massive boost he gave you... And I'm glad to hear it's still goin great :) that's the most obvious difference in mine too, before the power came low in the revs and flattened out and went very quick, while now it's smooth and linear all the way up, it's really brought the car to life!
    I already have cruise control man, its a UK import and a full s line so has all the goodies.

When he did the initial dyno run, it was putting out 120 bhp. He said most VAG group cars do show a bit more than spec'd. He asked what I wanted from the engine and said 140 ish, so he tapped away furiously at his keyboard, and this is want came out.

He then said he could go again for more if I wanted, but I was happy enough with that.

And if you're not on VAGdrivers.net, above a quick look on there. You'll get serious inspiration on it.

Or have a chat with George Dalton. He's on here as that name, and on VAGdrivers as Geo. Very, very knowledgeable man.

When he did the initial dyno run, it was putting out 120 bhp. He said most VAG group cars do show a bit more than spec'd. He asked what I wanted from the engine and said 140 ish, so he tapped away furiously at his keyboard, and this is want came out.

He then said he could go again for more if I wanted, but I was happy enough with that.

And if you're not on VAGdrivers.net, above a quick look on there. You'll get serious inspiration on it.

Or have a chat with George Dalton. He's on here as that name, and on VAGdrivers as Geo. Very, very knowledgeable man.

Ya mine was more than the spec'd 138 hp aswell! What car do you have??
    Ya im on it but haven't used it much!

It's only an Octavia. Wanted to change, but getting married next year, so finances wouldn't allow. So spent a few hundred to get the things I wanted in a new car, installed in what I have.

If your car has projector headlights, and I think it does, get a HID conversion. Massive difference.

It's only an Octavia. Wanted to change, but getting married next year, so finances wouldn't allow. So spent a few hundred to get the things I wanted in a new car, installed in what I have.

If your car has projector headlights, and I think it does, get a HID conversion. Massive difference.

I quite like octavias.
    Ya i think it does, was thinking about them already actually but after looking them up, they still confuse me! Which ones are the best quality?
    Sorry about all the questions!

Wanted to change, but getting married next year.

Or to quote your good self - "she wants to get married next year" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Yup dgt that is one lovely punto. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

If any of you have been in a mk4 ibiza, youll know how poor the interior is. So i decided to attack the interior of the gfs car with the free carbon wrap i got from ebay. No pictures yet but it makes such a difference.

My centre caps on the alloys are blistering so i wrapped one of them in silver carbon wrap, think ill take it off and do them in black though. I then tried to wrap my wing mirror in black to match my new smoked side indicators and corsa opc indicator surrounds. Spend almost an hour doing it an ****ed it up at the end. There was a load of excess wrap from somewhere so i had to cut it but it looks ****. Gonna be the task tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If any of you have been in a mk4 ibiza, youll know how poor the interior is. So i decided to attack the interior of the gfs car with the free carbon wrap i got from ebay. No pictures yet but it makes such a difference.

My centre caps on the alloys are blistering so i wrapped one of them in silver carbon wrap, think ill take it off and do them in black though. I then tried to wrap my wing mirror in black to match my new smoked side indicators and corsa opc indicator surrounds. Spend almost an hour doing it an ****ed it up at the end. There was a load of excess wrap from somewhere so i had to cut it but it looks ****. Gonna be the task tomorrow!
    Let me know what brand yours was and how it warked out. I plan to do part of the dash and part of the door panels in carbon wrap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement