Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BTO P-Book 15C27+ Extreme - komplett - Opinions please

• 01-02-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking at this laptop on komplett, I'm looking for a machine with some grunt, suitable for heavy graphics work, including gaming, graphics programming etc.

Is the nVidia 9600GT 512MB card becoming outdated, or would it still be fairly up to date?

I'm concerned that I don't know exactly what WXGA T9400 (2,53 GHz) means, are we talking dual core here, Core 2 duo, none of the above?

Finally I really like the price (naturally), and I'm inclined to think that's a reflection of the lack of an OS rather than cheap parts.

I think dealing with komplett is a better idea than laptopsdirect at any rate.

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The 9600M GT is a mid-level card, I wouldn't call it 'outdated' but you shouldn't expect high-end performance from it.

T9400 is the processor, its very good, has good specs and performance.

WXGA is the screen resolution, 1280x800. This is pretty low for a 15".

I don't know anything about the laptop linked, but from the specs and price I wouldn't be raving about it. Its alright, nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Thanks for that, I shall consider my options further.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tbh, i wouldn't buy the above, mediocre machine for the price, and without an OS i just wouldn't bother buying a no name machine. What kind of size do you want OP, a larger 17" machine would probably suit your needs better. I'd be looking at the likes of mid to high end asus/dell machines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I find >15" can be hassle to carry around, I travel to and from college etc a good bit, and 15" has served me suitably in the past. I've no issue with it having no OS, I have multi licence Windows disc I would use on it. Perhaps Asus is the better option, or I've seen some good lenovo machines (I've had too many issues with Dell in the past). I just thought the basic components seemed pretty good, and with no OS, the price was tempting. No decisions made yet at any rate.

Thanks for input.

Advertisement