Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep wire fencing cost???

• 04-05-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Does anyone know the cost of having contractors put up sheep fencing, ie, sheepwire and two strands of barbed with treated posts at 3 yard intervals?

Also, the cost of sheep-proof fence using concrete posts, again using a contractor?

Thanks a mil.

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I don't know the cost, but Farm Relief I found are ebst for any fencing jobs. You can reclaim the VAT element from Revenue Commissioners. It is far better than getting a 'cash' job from someone as they have some quality standards, which the cash chap may not have

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

I got fencing done last year and it cost me 5.50euros a metre with two strands of barbed and sheep wire ,a post was every 5 yards. It was a cash job. Excellent job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

ravima wrote: »
    I don't know the cost, but Farm Relief I found are ebst for any fencing jobs. You can reclaim the VAT element from Revenue Commissioners. It is far better than getting a 'cash' job from someone as they have some quality standards, which the cash chap may not have

my uncle reckons farm relief are not only much more expensive than a private contractor , they usually have different staff ( cheap foreign ) in one week and out the next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

sheep wire cost €40 for 50m roll with 7 squares galvanised and grant approved, good post are anything from €2 to €2.75 depending on sizes. a few very good contractors in Cavan/Leitrim area

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Can vat be reclaimed on the cost of labour for sheep fencing? I know it can be reclaimed on post and wire. Labour for erecting sheep wire, barb wire and posts (5 yards) is costing me 1.20/metre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Of course you can reclaim the VAT on the labour cost. You can reclaim all the VAT on the invoice. You could also ask your contractor to make you up an invoice stating something like "sheep fencing supplied and fitted, xxx yards at xx euro/yard".

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I would be interesting to have some updated prices now since the new spec has come in for the treated posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

At those prices I'd do it myself :eek:

Done (I lie, I've the stakes up, waiting on wire) 160 metres internal fence over bad ground just 3 foot sheep wire, no barb, for €275. At €5.50 a meter that's €880 :eek:

No doubt they'd use better quality material than I have, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭brownswiss

johngalway wrote: »
    At those prices I'd do it myself :eek:

Done (I lie, I've the stakes up, waiting on wire) 160 metres internal fence over bad ground just 3 foot sheep wire, no barb, for €275. At €5.50 a meter that's €880 :eek:

No doubt they'd use better quality material than I have, but still...

Actually they will NOT use better quality material unless you pay extra for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I got a quote for grant spec stuff, for the Sheep handling scheme from FRS start Feb (so may be out of date now, need to check actually)

7' strainers = €14.87
    6' posts, 4-5" = €5.57
    Sheep wire = €123.96
    HT barbed wire = €42

Those prices are ex-VAT.. So that works out about 3euro / metre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

wallycool wrote: »
    I got fencing done last year and it cost me 5.50euros a metre with two strands of barbed and sheep wire ,a post was every 5 yards. It was a cash job. Excellent job
    a costly job

I got a quote for grant spec stuff, for the Sheep handling scheme from FRS start Feb (so may be out of date now, need to check actually)

7' strainers = €14.87
    6' posts, 4-5" = €5.57
    Sheep wire = €123.96
    HT barbed wire = €42

Those prices are ex-VAT.. So that works out about 3euro / metre.
    prices on the posts and strainers are about right the prices for wire are through the roof try stockproof fencing products for a price on wire they are the main importers for tornado wire in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gazahayes

I just got a few loads of stakes and sheep wire.
    works out at 90 euro cash for the sheep wire and
    paying about 2.50 for 6 foot 4 inch round profile/pencil stakes.
    Didn't want vat docket so didn't have to pay it makes it cheaper anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jullins

gazahayes wrote: »
    I just got a few loads of stakes and sheep wire.
    works out at 90 euro cash for the sheep wire and
    paying about 2.50 for 6 foot 4 inch round profile/pencil stakes.
    Didn't want vat docket so didn't have to pay it makes it cheaper anyway

great price for teh wire where did u get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gazahayes

Got it in Coolrain sawmills near Mountrath.

Coolrain Sawmills
    Coolrain,
    Portlaoise
    Co. Laois
    Ireland

Phone: +353 (0) 57 87 35152
    Fax: +353 (0) 57 87 35093

Web: www.gardendeckingfencing.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Do all the fencing myself.. let's say 200 meter.. sheepwire and 1 strand of barb
    32 inch wire 2rollsx110=220
    200/3= roughly 70 post @ 3 post=210euro
    1 roll barb = 45 euro
    staples 16 euro 5 kg
    strainers let's say 3 H's at 20 euro each=60 euro
    total 551. -21%VAT you get back=115=436 euro.
    get someone to do it at 5.00 euro per meter= 1000euro.
    (also that 5euro meter is normally cash so don't get your VAT back, if you want invoice they add VAT it to it, i could be wrong there but i think that's the case)
    Difference 564 euro.
    In my opinion no brainer really....

that fence you described would be supplied and erected for 4.80 a metre including vat at 13.5% some very expensive fencing contractors out there 960 including or 846 plus vat

Advertisement