Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do y'all think of diesel cars??

13»

Comments

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    .............. It's the turbo that gives diesel the low down grunt, not the magic of the fuel!.........

Mmmmm dunno about that, I bumped a small ish car up a slightly inclined gravel drive using a 2005 Mondeo at idle using just the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

RoverJames wrote: »
    Mmmmm dunno about that, I bumped a small ish car up a slightly inclined gravel drive using a 2005 Mondeo at idle using just the clutch.
    Ok... here's a test then... disconnect the inlet hose to the turbo of that Mondeo and bring it for a spin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

Any thoughts on the Vauxhall vectra Sri? 150 bhp. I have had mine for a year and though its not the most comfortable cruiser, its a nippy bus when its needed. Just wondering what you guys think of them?

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Ok... here's a test then... disconnect the inlet hose to the turbo of that Mondeo and bring it for a spin! :D

.. was just saying there was plenty torque off boost like, no need to go doing experiments :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

.. was just saying there was plenty torque off boost like, no need to go doing experiments :P

It's alright, he'll hear what he wants to ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

There is indeed plenty of torque off boost!
    It's alright, he'll hear what he wants to ;)
    What I heard was you saying "Diesels suck, petrols rule..." or something to that effect... ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

In terms of modern diesels for audis:
    Old fashioned = 1.9tdi
    Modern = 2.0tdi

Wasnt the introduction of the 2.0 when they brought in all the dmf,dpf etc. ??
    same for every other manufacturer, once all these add-ons not generally found in petrol engines appeared things became a bit more modern...

The 1.9 was like a tractor engine, but good at what it did!

Wasnt the introduction of the 2.0 when they brought in all the dmf,dpf etc. ??

Some 1.9s are DMF equipped too.

I don't really see a clear line in the sand in time terms for when diesels became complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Some 1.9s are DMF equipped too.

I don't really see a clear line in the sand in time terms for when diesels became complicated.

Will it run on chip oil?

If yes: Fine
    If no: Too Complicated :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, to me modern diesel start with the introduction of the TDI engine in 1989 on the Audi 100.
    (The first Volkswagen Group TDI engine was the Audi-developed 2.5 litre R5 TDI – an inline five-cylinder engine (R5), introduced in the Audi 100 in 1989)
    It really took off when the first Audi 80 TDI came along (dunno exactly, late 80's, early 90's)
    It was a revelation back in the day, when diesels where mostly 50 bhp (unless they where 3 liter plus), wouldn't start in winter, REALLY clattered and where about as powerful as a wet fart.
    The difference was indirect vs direct injection, when the fuel was injected into a swirl chamber before entering the piston.
    TDI was the first time direct injection was used, everything that cam after is merely a refinement of the concept.
    Actually, there was some Fiat in the 80's that had it first, but who remembers it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I think the Fiat Croma was the first direct injection diesel. I think the only Croma I ever saw in the flesh belonged to my Irish teacher at secondary school but it was a 2.0L Petrol.

I wouldn't say all pre-TDI diesels were slow. The Peugeot 309 TD could get along very nicely and the Fiat Regatta TD had 100bhp IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Diesels are still reliable (usually) when they're serviced on time and not driven around town very often.

Problem is a lot of Irish motorists are buying them to drive to the shops or not driving them at higher speeds, this coupled with the love some people have for not servicing their car means that they now are "less reliable" than before.

Basically modern diesels are far less tolerant of abuse than before, and when they go wrong they cost more to fix.
    My Volvo diesel (bought new) was serviced at the specified intervals by the main dealer. It did a mixture of short trips, interspersed with long motorway driving. But it still gave me considerable trouble (refer to my earlier posts).

My problem is that garage sales people are flogging diesels to people who use their car mainly for short journeys. And some cars only come with diesel engines - the Ford C-Max is an example. A neighbour of mine has just bought a C-Max for ferrying the kids to school etc - lovely car but she does not know what she is letting herself in for.

I can see a recovery in the sale of petrol engined cars soon - when the word finally gets out about the maintenance costs of diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

piston wrote: »
    I wouldn't say all pre-TDI diesels were slow. The Peugeot 309 TD could get along very nicely and the Fiat Regatta TD had 100bhp IIRC.
    In the '80s Mercedes-Benz 300D Turbo was not slow by any means. With 147HP on tap it was a rocket comparing to any other diesel car available at the time. And its engine was and still is smoother and quieter than any TDI motor made ever after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Poulgorm wrote: »
    My Volvo diesel (bought new) was serviced at the specified intervals by the main dealer. It did a mixture of short trips, interspersed with long motorway driving. But it still gave me considerable trouble (refer to my earlier posts).

My problem is that garage sales people are flogging diesels to people who use their car mainly for short journeys. And some cars only come with diesel engines - the Ford C-Max is an example. A neighbour of mine has just bought a C-Max for ferrying the kids to school etc - lovely car but she does not know what she is letting herself in for.

I can see a recovery in the sale of petrol engined cars soon - when the word finally gets out about the maintenance costs of diesels.

Have the same car myself and same year but have taken to Rows guidance on the service interval and oil type. I trust no dealer especially one who said the ADM fluid top up was 80, 000 km when it is 60,000 km. Car has 72,000 km so am watching my journeys to ensure no shorties. Funny enough Focus has the same engine and Volvo-Ford service dept reckoned they were less trouble for some reason.

Will be sticking with diesel for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

what would be the approx cost of a diesel car service and a petrol car service in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

what would be the approx cost of a diesel car service and a petrol car service in general.

Old thread, but there is no definitive answer to that as, on modern cars, the service required depends on age and mileage so there is no one fixed price for either engine type.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Whatever the motor factors charges for oil+filter+air filter. Throw sparkers in there for a petrol.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

CiniO wrote: »
    So far 11 years of owning a car, and I never chanced it with a diesel.
    Petrol (or few times LPG) was always a way for me.

I never had a diesel either I have a 2.0L turbo petrol now, but what about the people who say I went to a diesel from a petrol, I will never ever go back, it is more efficient, no longer really noisy inside them, hold their value better, cheaper to tax, insure and diesel is cheaper per litre than petrol at the pumps. plenty times i have been told
    Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

Advertisement