Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory upgrade question

• 06-02-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Recently upgraded my asus A8N-SLI deluxe from 1gb to 4gb. Dxdiag only shows 3072 mb ? Page file: 909 mb, 3536 available. Have i got a bad module? Although some docs say my memory will read 3.5 Gb or less?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Are you on an old computer or XP? I think the max ram on it is around 3GB as I have 4GB in my old dell and it only recognises 3.25GB.

In any cas, more Info is helpful, rIght click and properties the my computer icon and post what it says :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yep, jaykhunter is right, older operating systems - i.e., 32-bit OSs - won't recognise more than 4GB total.

This total includes all the other various bits of memory like BIOS chips and graphics cards.
    How much RAM is on your graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Are you on an old computer or XP? I think the max ram on it is around 3GB as I have 4GB in my old dell and it only recognises 3.25GB.

In any cas, more Info is helpful, rIght click and properties the my computer icon and post what it says :)

Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. She is late 2005 so not young , xp. I will post what you request later.
    Monotype wrote: »
    Yep, jaykhunter is right, older operating systems - i.e., 32-bit OSs - won't recognise more than 4GB total.

This total includes all the other various bits of memory like BIOS chips and graphics cards.
    How much RAM is on your graphics card?

About 256mb on card , it is a GTX 7800

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

3x1024 = 3072MB. So maybe one of the modules isn't working.
    Take a look in the BIOS setup to see how much is recorded. Reboot the computer and look for a message to hit the delete key or an 'F' key to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

Bios says 4096 installed so i guess i am ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement