Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pro crastinator

Was on effexor 75 for a few years started to feel like I was spinning out again went to doc and was put up to 150.has any one had any side effects from these tablets

I've been on Effexor 150mg for two separate depressive episodes for about 18 months each time. 75mg is a very low dose afaik, it's meant to be a "starter" to get you up to 150 or higher. Many people are on 225mg+.

If you're tolerating the 75mg well you'll more than likely be just fine on the 150mg. I've not had any untolerable side effects from the drug, and I discontinued it with very little trouble (despite horror stories I've read online about people having awful withdrawal).

The most annoying side effects have been inability to orgasm, lowered sex drive and constipation. Those are absolutely bearable weighed against the relief I've gotten from depression and anxiety. Unfortunately the drug has pooped out on me as can happen with multiple episodes. Will be discussing a medication change at next pdoc appointment.

Hope it helps you, it really helped me :)

Getting a bit down about my dissertation work again. My supervisor is just no help whatsoever and I feel like I haven't a clue about where I'm going with it for certain sections. One of my other lecturers has been helping me enormously, to the point where he is effectively a second supervisor...but I just feel so guilty about it, terrified that I'm asking too much of him. Also getting a bit worried about timing and wondering whether I'm actually going to get it all done by the deadline date. Needless to say that I'm also doubting my abilities again completely and wondering why the hell I'm trying to write about stuff I don't even understand.

It's funny, the last few weeks have been good...knew it was only a matter of time before something else came along :rolleyes:

I totally know how you feel Viva... I've really bad assignment writing anxiety and I constantly doubt myself, whether I know enough, whether my writing's good enough, whether I'M good enough... I'm currently here coz I've an assignment due that I've been avoiding due to anxiety. It's tough to go through these emotions when you sit down to try and tackle it. If anyone else said the things to me that I say to myself, I'd get a restraining order against them for abuse. If only I could get a restraining order against the negative side of myself!

I totally support getting your other lecturer's help as much as you need. It's not your fault your actual supervisor is being an ass. If you were to be honest to your other lecturer about how your anxiety about getting it submitted in time, I bet he'd reassure you and help you even more. It's their JOB to help students, that's what the government is paying them for. Unfortunately some of them forget that as they're more interested in their own research.

If you feel like you need to talk about it feel free to drop me a PM x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Hi

I suffer from depression pretty much since puberty hit. Knocking on 30 now and think something needs to change. Id like people opinions on anti depressants.

What effects do they actually have? How have they actually changed you? Are they strong enough that you actually feel different or is it just a case that you assume they work because you dont feel as bad?

Worst thing is i actually believe its the depression that makes me not be bothered to find a solution to the depression :confused: How the hell does that work?

I have textbook psychomotor retardation. Everything just seems not worth doing properly. How does anti depressants affect that? Did they give you the determination just to do things properly and put full effort in?

Thanks in advance

Media999 wrote: »
    Hi

I suffer from depression pretty much since puberty hit. Knocking on 30 now and think something needs to change. Id like people opinions on anti depressants.

What effects do they actually have? How have they actually changed you? Are they strong enough that you actually feel different or is it just a case that you assume they work because you dont feel as bad?

Worst thing is i actually believe its the depression that makes me not be bothered to find a solution to the depression :confused: How the hell does that work?

I have textbook psychomotor retardation. Everything just seems not worth doing properly. How does anti depressants affect that? Did they give you the determination just to do things properly and put full effort in?

Thanks in advance

I can only speak about the SSRI/SNRI type of antidepressants (the most common type GPs prescribe). The way the medication affects me is quite subtle. My mood gradually improves enough to be able to do things, where I'd usually sit on the couch staring into space thanks to apathy/brain fog/introspection. They aren't "happy pills" in that I don't feel elated or energetic, but they bring me out of the fog so to speak.

I still have to try find motivation, drive and energy from somewhere to achieve things, and I still have to work on my negative thinking or else there's a residual unhappiness and anxiety. But the medication is just to give you that leg up for you to help yourself out of it. That's where counselling, CBT, life skills, exercise etc comes in.

It's a horrible illness, and it takes away from you all the things you need to get better from it, like hope and motivation. The pills aren't a cure, but they do help.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

I have been on a fair few over the years... currently Lexapro, Lyrica and Serequal.. All I can say is that after an initial few weeks of weird side effects the fog gradually starts to clear.. you get a rise in energy levels and it just gives you enough wind in the sails to be able to get up and do the work you need to do on yourself..the very wind that the illness denies you... that assuming that the meds that you go on are the right ones for you, sometimes it can be trail and error and sometimes they get it right first time.. but when it clicks you gradually start to feel a lift over the coming weeks, thats the time to start taking your therapy seriously...it has to be a combination of both, the pills alone wont do all the work for you..hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Have you ever heard the expression "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"?

My GP describes the meds as helping us walk to the water, giving us the chance to drink the water. Basically a little boost to give you a kick in the right direction to getting better. The meds themselves won't make you better but will let you want to get better, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Hersheys wrote: »
    Have you ever heard the expression "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"?

My GP describes the meds as helping us walk to the water, giving us the chance to drink the water. Basically a little boost to give you a kick in the right direction to getting better. The meds themselves won't make you better but will let you want to get better, if that makes sense?

Cheers for the advice. At the moment i jog 2 miles a day or cycle 5 miles. Exercise seems to help but it as if im motivated as i do it but just literally 20 minutes later im the same again.

Does anyone here think it could be a slow thyroid or has anyone had that problem? Its as if i feel decent when my heart is beating fast and my body is moving. Ill be going to the doctor in the next couple of weeks but i just was curious to your opinions before hand.

Any good doctor will run blood tests to check for underlying conditions that have those symptoms. Depression can be a symptom along with an illness in itself. Your best bet is to say you're struggling with symptoms of depression but would also like some blood tests to rule out any other underlying conditions such as thyroid / blood glucose levels / cholesterol... Can also check for anemia and vitamin deficiencies as they can cause psychological distress.

Good luck with the doc - it's a tough step to ask for help but a good one and one you won't regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

feel like I'm lurching from one crisis to the next :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pobble

Hi all,
    Reading through some of the pages and i have to say it is comforting to know i am not alone! Ive suffered with anxiety for years and recently depression. I have just started taking lustral and am still in the early stages where the side effects are utterly awful! Looking for a bit of advice on how to cope through the crappy days until things get a bit better? I have full faith in my doctor and she has been more then helpful. I still need that reassurance that things are going to be ok because at the minute i feel like i will always have the heavy feeling in my head!

Guys I wanted to ask, has anyone done the life skills course with aware? I have just signed up for it and am not sure what to expect...or does anyone attend any other support groups that they find helpful?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

pobble wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Reading through some of the pages and i have to say it is comforting to know i am not alone! Ive suffered with anxiety for years and recently depression. I have just started taking lustral and am still in the early stages where the side effects are utterly awful! Looking for a bit of advice on how to cope through the crappy days until things get a bit better? I have full faith in my doctor and she has been more then helpful. I still need that reassurance that things are going to be ok because at the minute i feel like i will always have the heavy feeling in my head!

Guys I wanted to ask, has anyone done the life skills course with aware? I have just signed up for it and am not sure what to expect...or does anyone attend any other support groups that they find helpful?
    Thanks

Yes! I did the aware life skills course a few months ago. It was really good, and definitely gives you the "lightbulb moments" and points you to techniques to get back on track, with helpful booklets.

Unfortunately for me it was over too quick. I need a 1 on 1 intervention over a longer term to properly get better, as my issues come from what I suspect is a
    Cluster C Personality Disorder (I've been anxious/OCD as long as I can remember).

Definitely worth giving it a go, it does help.

pobble wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Stick with it - things can only improve. Am on lustral myself and found it way better than lexapro, lyrica and effexor (which I had been on previously).

I've not done the life skills course but I am considering it. Take as many available options that you can - you can only grow as a person.

Good luck. Feel free to post here or pm if you ever need a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

dar926 wrote: »
    I have been on a fair few over the years... currently Lexapro, Lyrica and Serequal..

Lyrica is an interesting one. I was on that for six months last year (for social anxiety and mild depression) and it began working almost immediately. The effects were similar to Xanax or Valium, but with the additional benefit of making me feel kind of 'chirpy' and motivated - almost euphoric (well, by my pathetic standards anyway :) ). The only bad side-effect was a feeling of almost constant hunger.

Apart from the price (it's seriously expensive), the biggest downside was the fact that I built up a tolerance to it really quickly. The dosage was increased a couple of times, but each time it just gradually stopped working again. I eventually gave up on it because you can't keep increasing it forever. Which is a shame, because it worked (albeit only for a while) better than any other medication I've ever taken.

RayM wrote: »
    Lyrica is an interesting one. I was on that for six months last year (for social anxiety and mild depression) and it began working almost immediately. The effects were similar to Xanax or Valium, but with the additional benefit of making me feel kind of 'chirpy' and motivated - almost euphoric (well, by my pathetic standards anyway :) ). The only bad side-effect was a feeling of almost constant hunger.

Apart from the price (it's seriously expensive), the biggest downside was the fact that I built up a tolerance to it really quickly. The dosage was increased a couple of times, but each time it just gradually stopped working again. I eventually gave up on it because you can't keep increasing it forever. Which is a shame, because it worked (albeit only for a while) better than any other medication I've ever taken.

Lyrica is a weird one alright. I started on a low dose, 25 mg twice a day. Ended up on 150 mg twice a day & about 4 stone heavier. Great while it worked but much happier on just lustral. I never compared it to Valium tho! Different stroke for different folks I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Ye im on 300mg daily now but the serequal seriously overpowers any chirpyness that I used to feel... in saying that it still does keep my Anxiety at bay... I was on it before for a year and remember feeling slightly euphoric...it was really easy to come off as well which is always nice.. I also had the tolerance issues but I just dont know anymore as the serequal is so overpowering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does medication have any effect on memory? I'm in college and in two minds as to whether I should go down the medication route as I don't want it to affect my work.
    Also how much do they cost roughly? Like xanax and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Im not sure about memory but depending on the symptoms / prescription it can just slow you down. In fact anything to treat anxiety specifically has the aim of basically sedating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

I've been on Effexor 150mg for two separate depressive episodes for about 18 months each time. 75mg is a very low dose afaik, it's meant to be a "starter" to get you up to 150 or higher. Many people are on 225mg+.

If you're tolerating the 75mg well you'll more than likely be just fine on the 150mg. I've not had any untolerable side effects from the drug, and I discontinued it with very little trouble (despite horror stories I've read online about people having awful withdrawal).

The most annoying side effects have been inability to orgasm, lowered sex drive and constipation. Those are absolutely bearable weighed against the relief I've gotten from depression and anxiety. Unfortunately the drug has pooped out on me as can happen with multiple episodes. Will be discussing a medication change at next pdoc appointment.

Hope it helps you, it really helped me :)

thank you for getting back to me,yeah sex drive is down ect,but it is a small price to pay :o

I know I've probably answered this question for people but when you're in the moment it's hard to think straight.

Who do I talk to or where do I go when I feel like there's nobody in my life to talk to & feel like everyone has abandoned me?

In the throws of an episode. Don't want to call it anxiety. Don't want to call it self harm. I want to cut. But I know I won't. I want to do worse. But I know I won't.

I just can't deal with the distressing thoughts.

Doctor not an option - taken up too much of her time already. Therapist not contactable outside of sessions. Friends don't understand. Am being a rock for them but they're not recognising I need someone to mind me :(

Family defo not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Hi all.

First time posting in here. I have a bit of a 'situation' that needs urgent attention!

I've had anxiety all through my life without realising it. Anyway, it developed into panic attacks about 6 - 8 months ago. I've been doing a lot of reading / relaxation / breathing techniques as well as seeing a counsellor for the past few months. In general it's going well.

However - my wife and I are expecting our first baby any day now. One of the main triggers for me is doctor's / dentist's waiting rooms and hospitals.... I have passed out numerous times over the years just from sitting in a waiting room and getting so worked up...

I thought I had it under a lot more control recently, but after a visit to the hospital this week it almost happened again. I felt like I was going to 1) get sick 2) lose control of my bowels and 3) faint.

My wife told me that I had gone white as a sheet at the time. This was just in the waiting room before we had even been seen... I'm scared that I'll faint when we go back next time too. The baby is due any day now so there's no avoiding it. I feel so embarrassed about it every time it happens.

I'm seeing my counsellor tomorrow so hopefully we can work out a strategy to get me through it.

The thing is I've read that the feeling as if you might pass out is common with anxiety / panic - but that this never happens. The thing is, it does happen to me. It has happened a lot in the past!

Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Advertisement

You should probably talk to your GP. They should be able to give you something (and also rule out something potentially more serious). Fainting tends to be a vasovagal reaction - many stimulis can cause it. Try see your GP though.

From a practical point of view - keep blood sugars stable, bring some water and keep sipping so you're not dehydrated, maybe try some rescue remedy, keep a bottle of lucozade for if you feel faint, head between the legs, chew on ginger to ease nausea, peppermint to ease tummy cramps...

thanks for that. I tried lexapro and another one..cant remember the name of them. Both made me feel like i was plugged into an electric socket. Thank you for your kind offer. I'll keep it in mind. Always good to have people who know what your going throgh.

tempnam wrote: »
    Hi all.

First time posting in here. I have a bit of a 'situation' that needs urgent attention!

I've had anxiety all through my life without realising it. Anyway, it developed into panic attacks about 6 - 8 months ago. I've been doing a lot of reading / relaxation / breathing techniques as well as seeing a counsellor for the past few months. In general it's going well.

However - my wife and I are expecting our first baby any day now. One of the main triggers for me is doctor's / dentist's waiting rooms and hospitals.... I have passed out numerous times over the years just from sitting in a waiting room and getting so worked up...

I thought I had it under a lot more control recently, but after a visit to the hospital this week it almost happened again. I felt like I was going to 1) get sick 2) lose control of my bowels and 3) faint.

My wife told me that I had gone white as a sheet at the time. This was just in the waiting room before we had even been seen... I'm scared that I'll faint when we go back next time too. The baby is due any day now so there's no avoiding it. I feel so embarrassed about it every time it happens.

I'm seeing my counsellor tomorrow so hopefully we can work out a strategy to get me through it.

The thing is I've read that the feeling as if you might pass out is common with anxiety / panic - but that this never happens. The thing is, it does happen to me. It has happened a lot in the past!

Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi not sure if the reply posted so il do a brief one! I went to a stress management course run by the hse. they use info from glasgow steps website..the section on challenging your fears might help you. its about challenging the assumptions you have about a situation and changing how you react by planning for it. contact your local hse and ask about the notes. In the mean time read up about anxiety and the physical side of it. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

ive given uo.I have tried therapy and pills it hasnt worked.I dont see myself living a long life.I have no-one.No-one cares, im alone.I give up trying to fight depression.

Wonders what is the point of continuing if its gonna be a case of "same ****, different day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Wonders what is the point of continuing if its gonna be a case of "same ****, different day".

I hear ya Hersheys. We can't let it beat us though. We have to beat it instead.

I hear ya Hersheys. We can't let it beat us though. We have to beat it instead.

I don't have the energy & I dunno where to turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It is tough, I won't deny that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Some days are better than others. I try to accept myself as I am each day, without criticism or judgement.

• Advertisement

Oracle wrote: »
    Some days are better than others. I try to accept myself as I am each day, without criticism or judgement.

I'm in a pretty deep funk... I'm trying to write my way out of it but its fairly futile. I'm just so bloody sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement