Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sad beyond belief: Kells

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Sad to see the KD in such a woeful condition - there weren't many of them to begin with, and it would be nice to see one running. IIRC Howth's one is unable to run under its own power, unless they've fixed it up. Great and unique sound off them as well.

The sheer number of vehicles in that place is beyond belief. I'm not sure it's the right approach to simply hoard loads of identical ones, rather than trying to build up and curate a more thoughtful and maintainable collection. I'd love to know how many of the vehicles can actually run.

Did you see many other visitors there?

EDIT: Spoke too soon! I think that's Howth's second KD in this video that came from the training school in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU7V1U3Laik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not my pics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to build a proper shed probably would cost an arm and a leg but surely some sort of roof/ canopy could be done half ways reaonably affordably.

Having busses rotting in the Irish wet and dampness isnt really much use as it'll all end up as scrap sooner or later that way.

slight tangent, did I see a couple of Belfast city busses with DL regs on them ? did they actually enter service in Donegal ?

I was at the Dublin Port Rally last year and KD353 was operational but very smokey. Have a video of it at the end of the day, driving off in a cloud of blue smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Karsini wrote: »
    I was at the Dublin Port Rally last year and KD353 was operational but very smokey. Have a video of it at the end of the day, driving off in a cloud of blue smoke.

I think it should be made clear that KD353 is the property of the National Transport Museum in Howth and not the "unique" individual behind this location.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think it should be made clear that KD353 is the property of the National Transport Museum in Howth and not the "unique" individual behind this location.

Yes I should have quoted Red Alert's post.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Great to hear KD353 is runnable too - it used to occasionally turn up on the 48A if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Red Alert wrote: »
    Great to hear KD353 is runnable too - it used to occasionally turn up on the 48A if I remember correctly.

It was marked in on the first 47 out of Donnybrook each morning for most of it's latter years, plying the roads of south Dublin to Rockbrook, Tibradden, Grange Road and Whitechurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Red Alert wrote: »

Still does, apparently ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

corktina wrote: »

That place is just a scrapyard/breakers yard and maybe the reason Cork CoCo have not ordered them to clear it out and clean it up like happens with all other places where vehicles are dismantled is because it is called a museum?

I wonder is it registered as a "charity"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just one of many scrapyards masquerading as 'transport museums' in this country, just delaying the inevitable, i.e. scrapping.

That double decker in Halfway Village is another eyesore.

Either look after it and/or put it under cover. Otherwise forget it.

Advertisement