Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is CTYI? *new*

• 01-02-2002 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Unfortunately, no one can be told what CTYI is. You have to see it for yourself.

</morpheus voice>

Ok, so in this thread you can be descriptive, constructive, sentimental or whatever, but STAY ON TOPIC. The purpose of this thread is so that we dont get these 'WTF is CTYI?' topics every 10 minutes any more. However, as an interesting side effect, I just know we're going to end up getting what CTYI means to various people, so i might as well just put it in the topic description :)

To summarise, DO post stuff involving:

A) Questions (if youre not a CTYIer and want stuff explained)
    B) Factual Descriptions (of CTYI)
    C) What CTYI really is (because factual descriptions make it sound like nerd camp)
    D) What CTYI means to you (if you want to get all sentimental and weepy etc - although i dont advise it :))
    E) What you would like CTYI to be (changes you would like made etc)

Do NOT post stuff involving:

A) Father Ted quotes
    B) Off-topic stuff
    C) 'Nerd camp! Geeks!' style posts
    D) Father Ted quotes
    E) Personal flames/stories/obscure memories
    F) Father Ted quotes

/me waits for the inevitable torrent of Father Ted quotes...

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ok then. CTYI = Centre for Talented Youth Of Ireland (seeing as how our friendly neighbourhood dictator forgot to mention that :D)

It is held in DCU for 2 sessions, each consisting of 3 weeks each, during which you do a course and have a sh!tload of fun.

So there.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Doesn't banning Father Ted quotes defeat the purpose of a thread explaining CTYI?

Well... at least Radiohead quotes are allowed...

Basically CTYI is for people who are like all of us.
    It's summarised quite well in the following line:
    "Everything... in its right place..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

CTYI is a nerd camp in a way. Let me explain, if the common meaning of nerd is used: "intelligent person, no friends etc." then CTYI is a camp for intelligent people with no friends. Before I went i thought it would be a nerd camp, which it is, sort of. But when a large number of these so called 'nerds' come together and live together for a period of time it ceases to be a nerd camp and becomes a grouping of people with a common interest. Which is, from past experience, one of the best experience of your life. Let's face it, anyone who goes to CTYI can be safely classed as a nerd (The no friends bit depends on the person). But i couldn't honestly care, and i don't know anyone who should. I know this might have strayed from the main point a slight bit but i say these things to show people that CTYI is not a "nerd camp".

-Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

it seems to me that the main purposes of ctyi are:

1)to give an academic challenge to those who might not otherwise get one,

2)to show those with intelligence that there's more to it than just doing well in school exams,

and
    3)to show them that there are lots of other people in their situation.

and adam,i think i speak for all of us when i say that the ted quotes were always going to be confined to the one thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Teleute

People who say that Disneyworld is the happiest place on Earth have never been to CTYI. I first went there in 1999, during my Junior Cert (and yes, I mean during). I met people who introduced me to new ways of life, without putting any pressure on me to join them - testament to this is that I'm one of the few true CTYIers (ie. people who can quote Discworld and Monty Python, sing the whole of American Pie right through, and derive the three equations of linear motion) who is still Catholic. That's not to say a few of the weird ideas haven't rubbed off on me, but I'm accepted in all my normalcy.

I found friends who understood me. For the first time in my life, I wasn't just that weird girl in the corner... People asked me for advice. I was called Miss Smiley - and I don't think most of the people in my year had ever SEEN me smile! When I went back into transition year, one day my guidance counsellor said to me that for the first time EVER she had seen me display emotion. I met a guy who meant a lot to me. I made friends I'm still in contact with.

CTYI is the most open place in the world. You can hardly go five minutes without getting hugged. CTYI 00 was one of the top 3 things ever to happen to me...and CTYI 99 is in the top 5. There are in-jokes and people understand each other and help each other... Everyone is comfortable.

I have to go now - mother is coming to get me. But I may come back and add more to this sometime soon. I'm too old to go back as a student, but I'm more of an RA now...I WANT that job, and I'm going to get it next summer.

Eeek, gotta go!

*hugs to everyone*

Eimear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Saruman
    How long has CTYI been around?

I think it's been there from 1992... i'm not 100% sure, check on the website....
    Anyway i finished up school in 99, did my leaving and never heard of CTYI unless it went under a different name before then?

every secondary school in the country gets leaflets about the "Talent Search" which lets people take the test (american SATs) to see if they can get in... just alot of them dont bother to pass the information on to the students!
    Anyway would have been nice to know of it when i was in school.. might have made a difference to my study or lack of as the case may be.

it has made a differnce in social areas, and a little bit in education (like i never knew i loved Economics until i did it there (well Financial Markets was the course)... you never know! :)

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by Victor
    My brother mentioned them doing stuf fin CIT in I think 1992/93 (not sure if it was actually CTYI)

That would have been CTY, the American version, started in John Hopkins i think.... but the Irish one has the exact same entry requirements etc, indeed some americans come to the irish one :) Which is kinda cool..

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

ooooooooh yeeeeeaah. AMERicans a CTYI. I went to american CTY (actually, it was baby cty) in 1999. And thats pretty much the only reason i ever found out about CTYI. I was mucking anout on the net after cty and feeling sorry for myself and ran across the CTYI site.... lucky me!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

To summarise, DO post stuff involving:

A) Questions (if youre not a CTYIer and want stuff explained)
    B) Factual Descriptions (of CTYI)
    C) What CTYI really is (because factual descriptions make it sound like nerd camp)
    D) What CTYI means to you (if you want to get all sentimental and weepy etc - although i dont advise it )
    E) What you would like CTYI to be (changes you would like made etc)
    Not a frequent reader of this forum, actually i can probably count the amount of times i bothered to look on one hand! but i don't see any of the above been covered, what i do see is:

sexuality - surely more suited to humanities?
    Can somebody pleeeeeasssse give me a big online hug? - pointless spam
    Enterprise !! - there is a sci-fi forum
    WWII bombings - relivance?
    saturdays - bearly passable on afterhours
    Poll: Hugs - dear god a one of the mods posted this!
    Gems from the bible - humanities/ humor
    How much time does mark/sisob get online? - beyond belief

So out of the current topics on this forum there are none actually on topic.

Not complaining or anything, but is this forum really necessary if there isn't even one topic related to CTYI?

Originally posted by azezil

Not a frequent reader of this forum, actually i can probably count the amount of times i bothered to look on one hand! but i don't see any of the above been covered

[...]

So out of the current topics on this forum there are none actually on topic.

Not complaining or anything, but is this forum really necessary if there isn't even one topic related to CTYI?

This isn't a forum to discuss CTYI, this is a forum for CTYI people to discuss things.

Every thread that is there (including _my_ hugs one) is completely relevant for the people who read this. You were not at CTYI, and so nothing here really applies to you, if we have disussions that would fit in other forums its because we want to have them with people we know.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yeah and people would really get the wrong impression if they thought that. I mean what's nerdy about a load of 12-16 year olds getting together and studying college level courses during the summer/@ weekends when they could be fraternising with the prolateriate?

To say that a whole load of youngsters who aren't old enough to do well anything, but who on the main manage to score in or around the 'top 2%' on a few test doesn't make you a nerd..... it makes you 'talented', and women who have seen pictures of me can attest to my talent ;).

Akira.....
    Tetsuo.........
    argghhhhhhhhhh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just having a read - pardon me if I'm stepping on toes but it seems to me that this place rocks hard for the folk who've been.

And fair play. These sorts of thing should be more popular and nationwide - I'm reading tales of shy but smart kids (heh says the 23 year old aul-fella) being transformed into the life and soul of the party - I've even met the mods face to face and big hugs all round (although I think Adam was only giving me one cause Rob did first, but you're cuter Adam *wink*). Nutters is the word that comes to mind (my kinda folk) :)

Anyway, my post doesn't really have any point, but I just wanted to say "Fair Play!" CTYI - it seems to have had the impact one some of you that college had on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hehe, adam *is* a hotty, with legs from here to......:D

Yeah, CTYI changes a lot of people. for the better, luckily :)

I used to be Über-shy, but now i spend hours on the interne.....

crap, bad example :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

CTYI has been around since about 1992/93, the first summer programme in DCU was in 1993. They only had one session in 93 and 94 and now students can only do one of the two sessions cos of the huge demand. The amount of primary school kids taking the saturday classes all over the country is amazing too.

I know people seem to think that there isn't much info around in schools but it has improved vastly since I started going to CTYI in 94. There was a lot of media attention the summer in 94, there were so many articles in papers about it.

Spread the word and be glad we got to experience it!

for anyone thinking of going back as an RA, yout have to be in college they don't take people back the summer after they do their leaving. but it is an amazing experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Hi
    I'm new here. I won't give you my real name, but my handle is Bazookatone. I have been at ctyi since 1999. (99 sess1, 2000 sess1, 2001 sess2, 2002 sess 1) Actually, I'm in ctyi right now. Over the years, I've had a few nicknames, the one everyone seems to know is the VSP, or Very Small Psycho. I seem to be fairly well known in the annalls of CTYI, don't ask me why.

Here's what I think CTYI is. To the public, the Centre for Talented Youth of Ireland merely seems to be a camp for those with high intellectual ability. In reality, the whole thing is part of a sort of international conspiricy. People in the highest echelons of power realise that there is a certain kind of person, these people look like everyone else, but inside, they're totally different. These people possess a characteristic I like to call "Extreme". This is not determined by any one factor, it is a combination of personality intelligence, upbringing and lots of others. Anyway, the young men and women with this "Extreme" trait are special. They are highly intelligent, have incredible skill and focus and can be frighteningly determined. As a rule, these people will and can push themselves for longer and harder than any average person.

People who are like this usually become things like presidents, brain surgeons or successful businessmen and women. However, they can just as easily become criminals or terrorists, and because they have this type of "Extreme" personality, it can be percieved that they border on the psychotic. Their abilities lend themselves to the sort of life that a person on Interpol's and the FBI's most wanted lists. As a result, the govrnment uses CTYI as a tool for monitering young people who could, very likely, be tommorows Saddam Hussein or Bill Gates.

Actually, that's a load of Bull, but you have to admit that it is very good. I should get a Pulitzer just for this post
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spidergal

O.K. I know this will probably end up on the wrong page but I have to post it anyway! C.T.Y.I. started in 1993. I have done C.T.Y.I. since I was eight so I will explain the junior course mainly. You do an exam at 8-12 to apply for the courses, if successful you can do saturday courses, or summer courses. Exam results are given in percentages unlike the S.A.T.'s. When you are 12 you sit the S.A.T.'s the American college entrance exam. You can also be accepted through phsychological evaluation (pardon the probably wrong spelling!).

C.T.Y.I. in my opininion is the most unique place on Earth. It is the only place where everyone is equal and cliques to which not everyone is accepted are non-existant. It undoes the damage that the school system does. As a wise R.A. (Rory!) said 'C.T.Y.I. is an escape from the real world.... Anyway enough of the dramatics what is everyone up to? Clare you are confusing me soooo much with the double identity? I thought you were getting rid of the whole Alaskagirl thing? What did you mean you scared Rory, were you talking to him? We used to annoy him so much! It's so quiet without you! Ceewa, how is Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭stickinikki

CTYI was good and bad, but thats prob cus i only went once and i was commuting. i had so much fun there jst cus i love meeting and talkin to new ppl, but at the same time, there was this mentality of "oh im intelligent so i have to be a freak/have no friends" and that reeally isnt me..not evrybodys like that tho so i cant reeally pass judgement, but thats the main reason why i decided not to go back..mite do this year, i know a few more ppl goin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

well, one of the things I loved about ctyi is that it was an environment where even complete introverts made friends and the characterizing of someone being smart or whatnot didn't stop everyone from having an amazing time. but obviously it isn't perfect, that was only my experience there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

there was this mentality of "oh im intelligent so i have to be a freak/have no friends"

no there's not. there's a mentality (for some) of 'ah, i'm intelligent so i realise it's a good thing to be different' and not a sheep, sheep i tell you.

Erm... I found that it was a huge bundle of groups, none of which i fitted into entirely so i ended up befriending a quater of the people there and through them knowing everyone else.

Hence why I know people who were never there when I was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ Clementine Handsome Bluebird

never got to do test :(

my primary school didn'y give a poop

back then i had no friends so it would have helped :P

ahh well, at least i can say stupid stuff like
    AHAAAAAA U CTYI NERDS

while still wishing i had been a CTYI nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭joe the coat

CTYI nerds are so much cooler than other nerds... except that annoying redheaded guy, who had a really nasal voice... i threw a bottle at him in problem solving...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've always wondered - shouldn't it be CTYD or CTYL?
    Cos tbh, I never heard of any of this when I was younger, there wasn't any mention of it when we were doing sigmaTs or MicraT or any of that stuff. Either that or every school I went to didn't want to bother with the "paperwork".

Any plans to expand? Prehaps hold sessions in other major educational institutions around Ireland? *cough* NUIG *cough*

Tis too late for me, but I'd like my younger cousins and friend's siblings - and dare I say it, my own children in time to be able to live in the shtix and still have opportuinites like CTYP. :)

now...back to my anime...

3 lemon sorbets to the pe0n whole clocks what the substitutions are above

This is a resurrected / editted version of the What is CTYI? Sticky, once i cut out all the general offtopic chatter it boiled down to barely 2 pages (out of 9!)

Anyone else got any CTYI info to share?

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭super_canard

right.. i ain't a student... I'm **** at maths... the closest thing I have his my pc and my hamster...Do i qualify in any way? (Right about the no friend bit... only have 5-6 maybe?)

Based on your sig I'd say no. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭super_canard

Right... always been unlucky really.. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I'd say if you change the "whose" to "those" you'll probably be pretty much accepted here.

We are geeks afterall :P

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

What's scary is that I read his sig, and didnt notice anything wrong, I scanned over the 'whose'sand just subconsciously accepted them as 'those's.

For future reference canard, 'ceux' = 'those'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I didn't even see the mistake. I just saw "There are 10" and thought "When one person had the binary joke as their sig it was funny and witty, but this is pushing it."

Advertisement