Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Pat,
    Nobody seemed to be aware of them in my station when somebody brought them up.To be honest I don't know .I have scribbled down a couple of things nothing major. Dont think many have bothered so far.Was told in Dublin it is no big deal but I remain to be corrected on that one.Have you done Pulse training yet cos we haven't and if so is it included as part of your 40hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

Baton Charge,
    Having asked around since posting question,there seems to no pressure to fill them in but i guess its somewhat like the diary probationary garda fill in.As for pulse, I have my 40 hours all ready assigned and no one has mentioned it, figure I will have to ask at my Training Center. Bye the way was working Kilkenny hurling team homecoming, all units on duty and got great welcome into the force, it seemed a lot of them were finally glad to meet a 'Reserve'

Just found out PJ those Competency forms do not have to be filled out until after attestation as they have to be fully explained as regards what should and should not be entered.Think there is a chance we will get our Pulse training in Oct.Glad your having fun see you in Oct please God in Templemore.Superintendent Foley says hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi guys...just wondering if anyone out there did the legal test last night,and how they got on..??? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

no, didn't do the test but am doing it next week or so. was it difficult , is it 50% to pass. we have three in total in our class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Did the test last night. Hopefully its 50% as some of the questions were too difficult. You'd need to know what each subsection of certain Law's are.
    Back up to Templemore this weekend. Will miss the Rebels in action on sunday!!!:mad:

hi wonka.
    yeah did the test last night as well..all went well..hopefully..haha.. yeah down to templemore this weekend..do you know what time we are to show up on saturday morning.. ???.. and up the "rebels"..

sparkie
    how many in your group this week in Templemore? My group are being attested on 20 oct. and I heard that there are two seperate groups being processed that day.we number around 50.

hi pat.
    there are 18/19 in the group..your right..we are all being passing out on that day..roll on..haha..so hows your work experience going..???
    sparkie.:cool:

Hi Sparkie,
    You are going to have to get your 40 hours in quickly at that rate,We are doing it in 6 to 8 hour stints so it can be tiring but your adrenelin is up so it isnt bad. I am in Kilkenny and all i can say is the reception is great,work experience included so far is a lot of walking (in residential areas ) some responses to domestic problems and this Saturday coming mostly public order until 4.00 am. It varies.Its amazing the effect the uniform has on fights,they stop and head in different directions,I can expect 4 or 5 rows next Saturday night.

• Advertisement

Pat it's the man not the uniform that scares em.

hi baton charge..
    think its a combination off both things..the person and the uniform..the non rightous / objective view and the reflective jacket.. and off course the blue flashing lights,always helps..haha..sounds like pat1187 is really enjoying himself..fair play..
    sparkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,does the reserve badge stand out in the uniform I havent seen it yet,just wondering if people would pick out reserves and give abuse...yellow packs etc,I know when the trainees hit Dublin streets for christmas they stand out as young.Any opinions?

6 hours to do Pat and it's K not Lucy.
    The badge is blue with the Garda crest and GR written above which I think is more impressive than the college trainee badge.Nobody has noticed mine but one individual did comment on my local accent because the regular Gardai have a Cork/ Kerry etc ones.I bluffed and got away with it.When you are older(ask Pat)) I think they reckon you are a more senior officer with Gr on your Apelets?

sorry K.
    you are right, the only two groups who noticed the blue were two groups of women who were in Templemore and knew what to look for.

Was just wondering how did all those who went to Templemore last weekend survive .Bet they noticed that the tempo was upped a tad from their initial trip .That said bet they enjoyed it a lot more with role play exercises etc.

Pat did you include Health and Safety course into your 40 hrs as we did?

K.
    I assume you mean the 3 hours we all did in waterford? no. I don't believe they are aware we did it at all.I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.
    Initially I was told I could work more than the 40 hrs and what about pulse?
    Bye the way, is it true you were on the receiving end of a Molotov cocktail? also
    I have been out a lot with the Garda you accompanied at the Spree(?)

Pat we had decided it was 4 hrs so we included it as that.Hey the two Kilkenny Gardai were great people give them my regards (pardon the pun).Molotov cocktail ? If I cant drink it it didn't hit me!!!!!! We were told we could do no more than 40hrs so there you have it.

not sure what you mean by Badge, but in Kilkenny we wear the uniform into and from the barracks,at least for the 40hrs work experience, ie. we keep everything at home. As for the medical we were told we had passed on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Miju, are you in Dublin. I was told I would be attached to Pearse Street. Are you there by any chance. Had interview with Super. T and he seemed very nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lipgloss

Thanks for that Miju. I wounder how long it would take to get an interview.

Does anyone know if the attestation date of 20 Oct. has been changed?Heard in Kilkenny that it might have been.

pat1187 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the attestation date of 20 Oct. has been changed?Heard in Kilkenny that it might have been.
    Pat I believe that the group that was to be attested with us has been moved to November.I believe they are only going to Templemore for phase three this weekend .Dont know if that affects us as there are only 19 in that group???

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

I'm in that group of 19 and theres no way i'll be able to get the required 40 hours done before the 20th. Not sure whats happening yet as i have to wait until later in the week before getting the timetable.
    Also, they thought we'd 10 weeks to get the 40 hours in when i rang the station here (Cork). Said they'd get onto head office.

Checked with Garda Reserve Headquarters and was assured that the date had not changed, still Oct 20 for two groups.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Got a phone call from the GR office a short while ago asking to confirm if I am available for training from the 6th, so its official !

Garda headquarters Phoenix Park.I think Either Pat or Friedview will have the number handy.Well done Iandromskin on Getting through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Anyone going for Phase 3 in templemore this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Bren1609 wrote:
    Anyone going for Phase 3 in templemore this weekend?

I'd be curious to know what happens in Phase one ? I know its just an introductory weekend but can anyone tell me how it goes and where you go etc when you arrive. I presume you stay in a nearby hotel or something ????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Phase 1 you arrive on the sat morning and register.

You're in lectures for most of the first day about human rights, use of force, history of Gardai

Second day is more interesting with self defence class and role playing exercise. Both of these are intro's.

They put you up in a hotel for the night. It's good craic, we went for a pint in the resi bar and had a laugh.

You'll enjoy it.

Advertisement