Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do your parents open your post ?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

A friend tells me that his parents open his post, He is 26 lives at home and pays his way. But they still open his post !! They still think he is 12 and maybe he won a prize in a rice krispies drawing competion.Do you open your wife, husband, partners post ?

My own folks would never open anything adressed to me even if it sat there for a year. ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Nope my parents dont open my mail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

my wife opens mine as I do hers... But my mum used to drive me mad when ahe did it years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah sometimes they do, annoys the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He should post a letter to himself with anthrax in it. That'll fix 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

a friend eh??

just stand up to them, they'll still love you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

My own parents would never do it, however my OH's ma does it and then tries to blame it on her little brother. She even used to read the text messages on her phone if she left it sitting there and left the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Time to move out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

No, but then again the only post I get is free stuff from the freebies thread and most of it is adressed to 'Fr.Luke Duke' or 'Fr.Tod Umptious'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

ewj1978 wrote: »
    my wife opens mine as I do hers... But my mum used to drive me mad when ahe did it years ago...

my wife would never open anything adressed to me, nor would I to her.
    i consider post a personal thing, and anything contained that needs to be discussed with your partner will be discussed....when YOU open it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

thelurch wrote: »
    my wife would never open anything adressed to me, nor would I to her.
    i consider post a personal thing, and anything contained that needs to be discussed with your partner will be discussed....when YOU open it

Would you open your wife's post if it was vibrating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i never get any post, tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I don't live at home, but most my post still gets sent there and my mum usually opens it if it looks official and important, so that she can let me know straight away. I don't really mind. She never opens personal letters or anything. If he really has a problem with it, he should tell his parents to f**k off.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Would you open your wife's post if it was vibrating?

Very quickly befoe the batteries ran out !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

My parents open mine, it really gets to me. Luckily I rarely get things sent home anymore, but some things do and it's annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ya.mine do. But that is because I'm not living in Ireland any more. Its just my bank statements and random stuff. But while I was living back home they would never open my mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

A friend tells me that his parents open his post, He is 26 lives at home and pays his way. But they still open his post !! They still think he is 12 and maybe he won a prize in a rice krispies drawing competion.Do you open your wife, husband, partners post ?

My own folks would never open anything adressed to me even if it sat there for a year. ??

My brother is 27 lives at home and pays nothing. My mum doesn't seem to mind, still treats him as if he's a baby. She doesn't open his post though.

They don't read my post because I don't get any muahaha but I'm sure if they did, they'd only ask who it was from and what the person said, and how the person was. Such as when I get texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

and maybe he won a prize in a rice krispies drawing competion

Hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My parents would never open my post but my Mum will text me to let me know I got post and will wait at the door with it when I'm coming home. She then follows me around the house waiting to see what it is and eventually gets bored when I refuse to open it in front of her.

When she used to pick me up from the bus when I came home from college she'd bring my post in the car with her.

She likes to be very involved in my life, but unlike those who put up with their parents opening their post, I'm strong enough to stand up to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

i would freak if my folks opened my post even if its junk mail, its bang out of order. i still get all my post sent to my folks address as its easier than changing my address listings with banks etc, but they would never dream of opening it.

total invasion of privacy IMO, he should get his ass out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nope, if it's a fees bill or something like that she'll give it to me and then ask for it.

I open the phone bill though, to have a headstart on how much complaining I'm gonna have to listen to:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Nope, none of their business. I don't open their mail, they shouldn't open mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Actually I just get things from Pigsback that I don't even bother opening because it's all crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

i get post all the time and im only 17.parents dont check it but only cause theyr into privacy and all that.but damn ...26...thats bad form.both opening his post and living at home.suppose everyone has theyr reasons. only one of my friend has the problems of the nosey parents but in all fairness they are wierdos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My parents dont touch my post, however if its a package, like something I've bought off the net, my mother is usually quite nosy and wants to know what it is. The bf's parents open his post, but thats because he shares the same name as his dad.

Mods, can you change the title topic to does your partner open your mail, thats really what this boils down to, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

He should order himself a rampant rabbit and see what his ma thinks of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Occasionally.
    My dad opens any bank statement that comes for me. I live away from home during term time and I think it's just his way of making sure I'm ok. At least, that's what I want to keep telling myself.

My mum sometimes opens it. Usually it's something important that's just arrived or she misread the name (her name only differs by one letter from mine).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The only bit of post that my mam ever opened was a free Urban Design Compendium that I signed up for under the name "Fr.Chewbacca O'Shaughnessy".

Tbh I was surprised the postman didn't open it himself for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I don't live at home anymore, but the odd bit of post does still seem to go there, and then gets promptly lost.

"oh, yes, you got some post the other day....now, where did i put it?...."

While the OP's 'friend' may have parents that think he might have won a rice crispies colouring competition, i have ones who think i still like to play hide and seek. With my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

My parents never open my post. I was away for the entire summer and only arrived back last tuesday. On my bed waiting for me was all my mail in an unopened pile.

Advertisement