Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When talking to people from foreign...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

I was ****ing demented! And the manager said to her "Oh she speaks good English!" No one knew where she was going except i!!!!!! I still directed her though, fecking cvnt!!!! I should have told her to kiss my fecking black ass!

That's so rude. Where are you from? I get stuff like that all the time. People speaking really slowly and loudly and talking to me like I'm an idiot. They look SO embarrassed when I answer them in flawless English. I have no idea why people here assume that because you don't look Irish, you mustn't speak English. It's really ignorant. How do they know I'm not American/Canadian/Australian/British etc? Or, like many people these days, Irish born with foreign parent(s)? I'd always speak to someone normally and if I realised they didn't understand, I'd THEN speak more slowly/clearly. To do otherwise is borderline racist, tbh, but that's a whole other thread.

Back to the topic, I pick up accents ridiculously easily but make an effort not to. It's hilarious when people start speaking in a German accent to a German person, but I can see they why do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i hated learning french with an accent, i mentioned to the teacher one day that the french wouldnt come over here and speak in the bogger west sligo accent that some of the people in my year had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Like ffs some foreigners speak English!!!

I hate when people do that!

I remember some day in BT, some old cVnt wanted directions and she said "don't ask that negro, she cant speak English":eek::eek::eek:

I was ****ing demented! And the manager said to her "Oh she speaks good English!" No one knew where she was going except i!!!!!! I still directed her though, fecking cvnt!!!! I should have told her to kiss my fecking black ass!
    Damn, I'm trying but I just can't make out what you're saying. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Listen to this idiot.

If you cant speak the language throw in an accent and you are set!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oN58cyp2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Hah, I'm the other way around! I can't help but speak with a Dublin accent although I'm... eh, Scandinavian.

Accents are VERY contagious imho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Listen to this idiot.

It's Steve McClaren... what do you expect?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Where is this "foreign" place?

I find I get a very thick Neilstown accent when talking to somebody of a foreign persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Everyone knows raising your vooice and articulating your wrods is the way to speak to foreigners.Also say si and que at random intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Listen to this idiot.

ha, I was hoping someone would post that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

SPEAK SLOWLY AND CLEARLY BUT LOUDLY ALL THROUGH! well thats what most people do..... i just snigger*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ewj1978 wrote: »
    SPEAK SLOWLY AND CLEARLY BUT LOUDLY ALL THROUGH! well thats what most people do..... i just snigger*

Do the foreigners not get upset when you just stand there sniggerig at them instead of talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

oops sry... I mean i snigger at people who do the TALKING LOUDLY YET SLOWLY thing... I speak as normal, Work with poles,czechs and russians after all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

haha
    i kind of do this....but again, its more with people from other regions of Ireland.

Im from Greystones so i have quite a 'neutral' accent
    My Dad is from Clare though so when we visit and im talking to my relatives, i kind of "magically" pick up a slight culchie accent....

My Dad has lived in Wicklow for about 25 years and his accent is almost 'phased out' at this stage...
    But when we visit the West, out comes the big Clare accent :rolleyes:

Ah but are'nt we conformists at heart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

My mum has an english accent but once you get her round her friends she has an Irish twang... quite annoying actually. With her friends she says "Sure" alot.. GAHHHH!!!

eg: "Ah well sure..."
    "Sure that's fine.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

"Whats the craic with the big macs?" and a Chinese guy replying "will ya relax, they're coming now", of course followed by the obligatry "no bother". Ahh I love Ireland an its influence on the world.

lmfao :D

Advertisement