Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubcard data

• 18-05-2015 12:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone ever submit a data access request on their supermarket loyalty clubcard?
    I'm considering doing so.
    Would it contain a list of everything you ever purchased, at what time & date you visited over the past decade, possibly link the swipe of a card to cctv footage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

snubbleste wrote: »
    Would it contain a list of everything you ever purchased, at what time & date you visited over the past decade, possibly link the swipe of a card to cctv footage?

I very much doubt its linked to cctv - it would serve no purpose whatsoever and woudl probably not be allowed. Most cctv is overwritten after 30 days.

Tesco are fairly up front about it - they extrapulate info to work out what offers to provide you and what products to stock in their stores. Apart from that, I don't think there's anything else to be got from the info.

If anything, they overused the info and stocked far too many products and that is being correcetd with delisting of 20% of lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I read an article about a Mid-West american supermarkets Loyalty scheme last year, they extrapolate a lot from the data, and would send offers to the customer based on this, so based on this, they send maternity/pregnancy related offers to a local teenager. The outraged father whet public, complaining about this vile marketing to his daughter, turns out neither her not the daughter known she was pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I read an article about a Mid-West american supermarkets Loyalty scheme last year, they extrapolate a lot from the data, and would send offers to the customer based on this, so based on this, they send maternity/pregnancy related offers to a local teenager. The outraged father whet public, complaining about this vile marketing to his daughter, turns out neither her not the daughter known she was pregnant.

This is the original article. Although there's some debate about how true the details are

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Not linked to cctv

Name address etc

the info they have is everything you see on your receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Alden Unimportant Raise

I requested this from my mothercare loyalty card last year but the information I received was very scant, they could only tell me the amount spent (not what was purchased) and the date of the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I requested this from my mothercare loyalty card last year but the information I received was very scant, they could only tell me the amount spent (not what was purchased) and the date of the transaction.
    Thanks!
    Surely they should be able to tell what products you bought and times you visited different stores?

I'd expect Tesco in particular to connect cctv to a clubcard swipe. Also the free wifi, is that phone number from a clubcard customer? what are they browsing online whilst instore?
    What about my address, surely they can see roughly what income I might have based on address alone. Why would a behemoth not use this technology?
    This stuff already happens in the UK, where you don't need a loyalty card!
    How supermarkets use your data or this journalist who requested her data in 2005
    Or this interesting info from the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Anya Blue Superpower

Thanks!
    Surely they should be able to tell what products you bought and times you visited different stores?

I'd expect Tesco in particular to connect cctv to a clubcard swipe. Also the free wifi, is that phone number from a clubcard customer? what are they browsing online whilst instore?
    What about my address, surely they can see roughly what income I might have based on address alone. Why would a behemoth not use this technology?
    How supermarkets use your data or this journalist who requested her data in 2005

I think you are letting your imagination run riot. Name, address, spend on products is about all there is. Linked to cctv? Oh come on! What your income is? Not a hope.

I think you are letting your imagination run riot. Name, address, spend on products is about all there is. Linked to cctv? Oh come on! What your income is? Not a hope.
    Why would they not link your face to your clubcard?
    UK has postcodes, income classification by geographic area. You give your address, they see what you spend money on - therefore they can guesstimate your income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thanks!

CCTV to a Clubcard swipe, they could in theory by checking the CCTV on the time and date of the Clubcard scan, but that wouldn't be an automatic process, you'd be looking for them to provide a service that they don't provide, that's not anything to do with personal data.

You can make a Freedom of Information request but Tesco will charge you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Anya Blue Superpower

Why would they not link your face to your clubcard?.

You are joking. Right? They'd have fun with mine. I use 2 cards in tesco. One is my wife's and the other is in the name of my daughter. :)

Why on earth would they want to link faces to cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You are joking. Right? They'd have fun with mine. I use 2 cards in tesco. One is my wife's and the other is in the name of my daughter. :)

Why on earth would they want to link faces to cards?

OP Suspects their parner is seeing someone and doesn't trust them when they say they went to buy carrots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't see what benefit they'd get from linking a CCTV shot to a swipe. The cost-benefit analysis doesn't add up for me. Plus, they'd have taken an image of you and linked it to your profile, which I don't think is quite kosher legally.

Once postcodes come into use in Ireland, they probably will be able to do a lot better demographic profiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think the OP might be confusing the CCTV on the till which superimposes the items being scanned onto it to stop staff scanning cheaper items for friends with CCTV when swiping your card, which doesn't happen AFAIK.

Hilarious take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement