Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vokera ehe

• 09-07-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

was at a vokera ehe condensing boiler today took of white casing switched it on fan ran but no aps or ignition ..then when i loosened the front casing with the gasket seal the aps clicked sparker started sparking burner lit ...any ideas anyone ...

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Remove and clean the venturi (until it sparkles) with some very fine sand paper or scotch cloth.

An inner flue pipe that has been corroded/punctured (usually happens at the terminal) may also
    exhibit the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

so does that mean when i open up the casing im allowing combustion air in hence why it lights???im rgi by the way but my fault finding is generally gas valves fans etc basic stuff thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

By opening the casing you have allowed extra air, enough to enable the correct amount of air to pass through the venturi, thus converting to negative pressure to activate the APS.

What DGOBS correctly suggested was either a venturi issue or a flue issue. A dirty venturi could lead to positive pressure being passed through it or a damaged flue affecting the venturi flow through.

You taking 'duty' off the fan, allowing an inrush of air which is in turn allowing the aps to operate on the positive side only (venturi gives the negative)

Trust me, clean the venturi.

To be honest, and I am not having a go at you, but this is pretty basic stuff for a service technician, and you should know it. I spend way too much of my time arriving at calls where 'other guys' have had a go first and failed (but usually got their fee!!) and I am left to mop up and fix the boiler!

Go do a few manufacturers courses, spend time fixing the 'harder' breakdowns. learn the systems of ignition, and follow them.

I have no problem helping and giving out hard learned information to guys, but the excuse of 'only fault finding gas valves and boards and stuff' does not sit well with me for a professional who charges money for fixing/servicing boilers, how can you service something that you don't understand basic principles of operation?

Ah Shane, nice to know you were listening....lol

DGOBS wrote: »
    You taking 'duty' off the fan, allowing an inrush of air which is in turn allowing the aps to operate on the positive side only (venturi gives the negative)

Trust me, clean the venturi.

To be honest, and I am not having a go at you, but this is pretty basic stuff for a service technician, and you should know it. I spend way too much of my time arriving at calls where 'other guys' have had a go first and failed (but usually got their fee!!) and I am left to mop up and fix the boiler!

Go do a few manufacturers courses, spend time fixing the 'harder' breakdowns. learn the systems of ignition, and follow them.

I have no problem helping and giving out hard learned information to guys, but the excuse of 'only fault finding gas valves and boards and stuff' does not sit well with me for a professional who charges money for fixing/servicing boilers, how can you service something that you don't understand basic principles of operation?

i agree 100% but i have to start somewhere must start doing the course...what iv learnt so far is self thought as and from an online repairs course from uk and reading posts from yourself and other posters ..hopefully i will be getting better as i learn more

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »

Would I ever not listen to you....

Hmmmm......

Lol. Words like pumps and pressure gauges doing to mind!

Meeooowwww.... stop scratching with those claws!

Think Fred is slowly turning me into a biatchhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Now,now ladies :D:D

• Advertisement

I find it sad that knowledge has to be begged, borrowed or stolen to produce gas engineers in this country instead of proper recognised training courses giving interested new entrants real qualifications, qualifcations which would put a bigger gulf between good/compatant RGIs and dangerios bastards.

Last month a Ex- BG RGI left the case loose and removed the seals around the combustion chamber to allow the APS to activate, what he didn't spot was the flue was blocked and his actions allowed carbon monoxide in to the property:mad: banker.

Well done anthonyos for seeking clarification, you are better than some seasoned RGI.

i dont think the gid is enough its kind of a do this and you are allowed service and repair without proper training.it should be more of an apprenticeship/work placement..trained in repairs your "licensed" for repairs trained in servicing licenced for services etc

The GID is not a fault finding course. It is a Gas INSTALLER Domestic course, dealing with installation requirements.

The Domestic Service Course (DSC) is Service and Fault finding course.

Recently I had a heated argument with a site sparks who had a intolerance to common sence, I explained his bo bo in not giving the boilers a perminant live, he told me the red light loft heaters he fitted beside the boilers was more than enough, I have now officially given up:(.

shane0007 wrote: »
    The GID is not a fault finding course. It is a Gas INSTALLER Domestic course, dealing with installation requirements.

The Domestic Service Course (DSC) is Service and Fault finding course.

what is the minimum requirement to legally service i gas boiler in ireland

Whats with this new 10 day course now. Suposidly combines the GIS & the GID into one. How can you combine the GIS & GID into one? The GIS alone is a big, I done it as an apprentice (doesn't seem to be any of them around anymore either) and I remember ****ting myself (not literately) before the tests.

GID and be RGII registered unfortunately.

anthonyos wrote: »
    what is the minimum requirement to legally service i gas boiler in ireland
    You must be trained, certified and COMPETENT to do so. Competent being the key word. In legal terms, you could be the highest qualified person in the country as you could be very good with exams but practically you could be incompetent. You must therefore not work on boilers unsupervised until you are competent to do so.

None of them should be classed as training courses, they are a platform to show skills you already have.

The minimum UK course to work as a qualified gas service engineer is 1 year, 6 months schoolroom and 6 months site, this is just a basic gas qualification.

You must be trained, certified and COMPETENT to do so. Competent being the key word. In legal terms, you could be the highest qualified person in the country as you could be very good with exams but practically you could be incompetent. You must therefore not work on boilers unsupervised until you are competent to do so.
    That's true Shane but there is no one here enforcing that.

• Advertisement

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Whats with this new 10 day course now. Suposidly combines the GIS & the GID into one. How can you combine the GIS & GID into one? The GIS alone is a big, I done it as an apprentice (doesn't seem to be any of them around anymore either) and I remember ****ting myself (not literately) before the tests.

Don't even start with that one! They are also trying to squeeze the DSC into it. I think into a 15 dayer.

Don't even start with that one! They are also trying to squeeze the DSC into it. I think into a 15 dayer.

15 days and your a trained gas fitter who can instal, service and repair. Total joke. I hope the CER and Wilson are looking at this.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    That's true Shane but there is no one here enforcing that.

The problem in Ireland is that the regs/laws are re-active rather than pro-active. They will only do something about it when it is too late. If you blow a gas installation up, then you will be in front of the courts and they will most likely throw the book at you. What won't happen is stop incompetent people working on installations until they cause harm, etc.

Perhaps we might see a Building Control Department evolve from this recession, but that could fill a whole other thread...

Competent my arse, this industry now has more incompetent card carrying gas installer now than when I started working here 10 years ago and were being laugh at because of it, house holders don't know who to listen to now and it's just not funny anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

"15 days and your a trained gas fitter who can instal, service and repair. Total joke. I hope the CER and Wilson are looking at this"

They don't want to know... As said here before it's going to take a serious accident for them to open theyre eyes.

Worse thing we did was regulate the industry Gary. Need to following the uk on a lot of how to run a gas regulator

so the venturi produces the negative pressure for aps

A Venturi generates a measured force that impacts on a APS.

The things to look for in this area are a clean Venturi, if the Venturi is plastic (as a added safety device) has it melted and why, also I would be looking at the reason for any moisture/condensate if evidence of any is found, lenth of flue, condensate traps, pipework from condensate traps(they can allow POC to enter property).

For the APS I would be looking for any blockages in the APS tubes and reasons, correct wiring, correct positioning of tubes, correct value of air pressure switch, any build up of moisture on wiring which can confuse some PCBs.

A APS is a safety device and should be treated as such, never adjusted the value of a adjustable APS and don't rule out the flue untill you have proved otherwise, if your having problems it's always worth while checking if flue restrictors are fitted or if they are required, all info can be found in the manual.

thanks lads for the help cleaned the ventrui today and all was well and working after it . took time to have a look at it blow threw and now have an understanding of it and its purpose i always thought the aps - pressure came from the negitive side of the fan or something but now i know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

Fair play anthonyos,every day is a schoolday and all that,I see where dgobs is coming from but also think that everyone starts somewhere and no better way of learning than in at deep end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

While we on subject of schooldays,anyone have much working knowledge of sime format 24e? Had head melted with one today??

Advertisement