Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

eoin wrote: »
    But can you use it for 5 minutes straight, like you would with a cigarette?

Yup. You can chain vape on it for an extended period if that's what's needed to satisfy a craving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

nesf wrote: »
    Yup. You can chain vape on it for an extended period if that's what's needed to satisfy a craving.

Cheers. I just want something that will last as long as a normal cigarette without getting hotter than the sun and losing the hit after a minute.

Cheers. I just want something that will last as long as a normal cigarette without getting hotter than the sun and losing the hit after a minute.

I puff away on mine all day. It'll only get badly hot if you take a 15-20 second drag on it or something.

They're quite different to use than a real cigarette. It's a case of long slow drags rather than bunches of quick puffs. You get used to it fairly quickly though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

gbob wrote: »
    talbot st, just off Gardner st there's a newsagent opposite the cashpoint machine run by a Chinese family, not sure how good their stuff is but might be worth checking out.

Hellrazer from IBF?

How close to Store Street would that shop be??Is it the Amien street end?

talbot st, just off Gardner st there's a newsagent opposite the cashpoint machine run by a Chinese family, not sure how good their stuff is but might be worth checking out.

Hellrazer from IBF?

Be warned, some of the clone stuff is a bit dodgy. Don't automatically assume e-somoking is not for you based off kit from a small brick and mortar shop. They might be stocking sub-par gear. Or not depending on their supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Hellrazer wrote: »
    How close to Store Street would that shop be??Is it the Amien street end?

About 50 mtrs west of the junction with Gardner st, and as nesf said dont base any opinion on the cheap copies.... i've tried 3 different models and i'm recommending the joye 510 from thevapourstore.ie to everyone, and i'd also suggest you start on a strong (26mg) e-juice, good luck with it.

About 50 mtrs west of the junction with Gardner st, and as nesf said dont base any opinion on the cheap copies.... i've tried 3 different models and i'm recommending the joye 510 from thevapourstore.ie to everyone, and i'd also suggest you start on a strong (26mg) e-juice, good luck with it.

I found the Tornado I picked up from Totally Wicked to be far superior as a vape than the 510 I got from thevapourstore.ie. The Janty (I think it's the same manufacturer as Janty for TW atomisers) atomisers were far superior to the atomisers I got from thevapourstore.ie. I'll need to check them with a multimeter but I think the Janty ones are lower ohmage which makes for a hotter, better throat hit vape with more vapour.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

I found the Tornado I picked up from Totally Wicked to be far superior as a vape than the 510 I got from thevapourstore.ie. The Janty (I think it's the same manufacturer as Janty for TW atomisers) atomisers were far superior to the atomisers I got from thevapourstore.ie. I'll need to check them with a multimeter but I think the Janty ones are lower ohmage which makes for a hotter, better throat hit vape with more vapour.

Yeah checked out totalywicked a few times, AFAIR their shipping was very expensive, have they become any more reasonable?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The other alternative is the official Ego (the Tornado on Totally Wicked) which can be bought here - http://www.ivapour.co.uk/janty-ego/janty-ego-set.html?SID=mitjv0p66utr6l60m0fj8d0do4

The guy that runs ivapour is on ukvapers and seems a good bloke. He also runs http://ivapour-elixir.co.uk/ for selling non-janty stuff (Silver Bullet etc.) but the 510 atomizers there are probably Joye/Janty of the lower ohm type too if you don't need a set. Joye/Janty 510 atomizers are 2.3ohms wheras DSE/SLB 510s are 3ohm so there is a difference.

Liberty Flights also do 2.3ohm 510 attomizers. In fact the 3ohm 510s seem harder to find to me. I didn't realise vapourstore did them. Handy for 5V mods :)

Yeah checked out totalywicked a few times, AFAIR their shipping was very expensive, have they become any more reasonable?

Nah, still a tenner for shipping the bastards. Works out ok if you get a bunch of attys, juice, batteries etc in one order.

Another option for Janty stuff is this French site:https://france.jantyworld.com/

Shipping is very reasonable with them. For a pack of five LR atomisers it was €2 uninsured, €6 insured postage.

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    The other alternative is the official Ego (the Tornado on Totally Wicked) which can be bought here - http://www.ivapour.co.uk/janty-ego/janty-ego-set.html?SID=mitjv0p66utr6l60m0fj8d0do4

The guy that runs ivapour is on ukvapers and seems a good bloke. He also runs http://ivapour-elixir.co.uk/ for selling non-janty stuff (Silver Bullet etc.) but the 510 atomizers there are probably Joye/Janty of the lower ohm type too if you don't need a set. Joye/Janty 510 atomizers are 2.3ohms wheras DSE/SLB 510s are 3ohm so there is a difference.

Liberty Flights also do 2.3ohm 510 attomizers. In fact the 3ohm 510s seem harder to find to me. I didn't realise vapourstore did them. Handy for 5V mods :)

The French site above is cheaper and does regular 510 atomisers. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The French site above is cheaper and does regular 510 atomisers. :)

I'm all for cheaper but sometimes I like to give the business to those that deserve it especially when it doesn't cost that much more.

I'm all for cheaper but sometimes I like to give the business to those that deserve it especially when it doesn't cost that much more.

Ditto. I like supporting the smaller sites but for small orders whether a flat rate or by weight shipping charges make a big difference for me. :)

It's 32 Euro versus 25 Euro for a 5 pack of LR 510 attys though, that's not insignificant. Shipping is about the same between the two, Janty France is only 50c or so cheaper, so that can be ignored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi nesf, is this it here? And can you recommend anything else I should get with it? Refills etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

kind of random, but I saw an ad for this the other night on SUMO which is on the sky box.

they were showing old silent movies. they would have ad breaks except they were vintage american tv ads for long extinct products, all except what seemed like a real ad for the e-cigarettes which I had never heard of before. It featured a sensual young lass on a couch puffing away goodo and saying all sorts of nice things about me, the viewer.

seemed like a strange/very niche/probably illegal campaign at the time, and yet effective in that between it and chancing on this thread tonight i now realise these things exist and am thinking of ordering my first case-load

Hi nesf, is this it here? And can you recommend anything else I should get with it? Refills etc?

Yeah, that's the one I got and I'm very happy with it. There's enough there to start you off but you should consider getting some e-liquid to refill the cartridges with. First, a warning, Totally Wicked stock very good products and have excellent customer service but are a tad on the pricey side. Worth it in my opinion but had to say it. Also use this code to get a 7.5% discount at the checkout: "T4BE699" (I don't earn any money from it). I recommend going for a selection of 5ml bottles of different flavours to give you a chance to find something you like. It's a lot cheaper to refill carts with liquid than it is to buy prefilled carts. As a rough guide, 30ml of liquid would last me around 2 weeks. Depending on how often you vape during the day your mileage could be a lot greater or shorter than this. You can find liquid here: http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/totally-wicked-e-liquid-products.html (The 54mg stuff is for mixing your own liquids, not vaping on its own btw!)

Extra stuff you could pick up but don't absolutely need to: (from this page: http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/tornado-accessories-products.html)

An extra battery, not necessary but an automatic battery would give you a chance to experience a different form of vaping.

An extra atomiser or two: not a bad idea, atomisers wear out and need to be replaced fairly regularly (every couple of weeks, sometimes a fortnight, sometimes a month etc). You could try a LR (low resistance) atomiser, these run hotter than regular atomisers and produce more, warmer vapour. Many find this to be more enjoyable as an experience. The downside is that they tend to burn out quicker.

A case. I got one and find it great when I'm out and about. A spare charged battery, a spare atomiser and some liquid or filled carts are very handy to have on you.

Some "guide" videos:

E-Cigs 101 - What do I order first?
    E-Cigs 101 - Ep. 2 Refilling carts, dripping etc

RGDATA! wrote: »
    kind of random, but I saw an ad for this the other night on SUMO which is on the sky box.

they were showing old silent movies. they would have ad breaks except they were vintage american tv ads for long extinct products, all except what seemed like a real ad for the e-cigarettes which I had never heard of before. It featured a sensual young lass on a couch puffing away goodo and saying all sorts of nice things about me, the viewer.

seemed like a strange/very niche/probably illegal campaign at the time, and yet effective in that between it and chancing on this thread tonight i now realise these things exist and am thinking of ordering my first case-load

Here's a genuine American ad running at the moment over there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1utuudnCJI

It makes a few "dodgy claims" (i.e. it's not just water vapour, there are other things in there, safe things but things nonetheless).

Wow, that's a ton of information - thanks very much nesf.

I'll buy the starter kit and see how I get on with it before buying all the accessories. I actually found the Titan 510 OK, I just didn't like how it was only good for a minute or two at a time. If this one can last longer, then I think I would be a happy camper.

Wow, that's a ton of information - thanks very much nesf.

I'll buy the starter kit and see how I get on with it before buying all the accessories. I actually found the Titan 510 OK, I just didn't like how it was only good for a minute or two at a time. If this one can last longer, then I think I would be a happy camper.

Hmm, if you're talking about a dip in vapour production after using it for a while the problem is that the material in the cartridge isn't wicking juice to the atomiser fast enough. You can get around this by putting 3 drops directly onto the atomiser and this will sort it out.

I don't use carts anymore and just direct drip onto the atomiser meaning I can have long extended sessions of vaping should I so wish.

• Advertisement

No, the problem was more that it was great for a minute and then would get hot and stop producing any more vapour. If I left it a few minutes it would be OK again, but that was a bit annoying and didn't feel like a replacement for a normal smoke.

No, the problem was more that it was great for a minute and then would get hot and stop producing any more vapour. If I left it a few minutes it would be OK again, but that was a bit annoying and didn't feel like a replacement for a normal smoke.

You said this before I think and it is very likely to be down to crappy cartridges. The standard cartridge filler is not very good imo for liquid getting wicked to the atomizer efficiently. You pull on it a few times and it's fine. It gets hot and theres not enough liquid at the top of the filler nor will liquid at the bottom of the filler get wicked through fast enough so you don't get as good a hit. I've been using blue foam from the US (much talk on ukvapers as the US kind being the best) which works much better but for almost any cartridge a lot of liquid is wasted which is why I prefer to top up.

I would highly recommend you get a drp tip and some low resistance atomizers with your kit and try dripping. Some people never look back from dripping. I prefer cartridges simply because you don't have to top up as often as when dripping but if it gives you more satisfaction it may be well worth your while.

In any case I have loads of the blue foam so if you or anyone else wants some to try some out simply pm me your address and I'll post some out.

Hmm, the atomiser shouldn't perform like that. Not all 510 atomisers are equal to be honest, the best I've found have been made by Joyetech, they're stocked by Totally Wicked and Janty Europe and some other places.

You said this before I think and it is very likely to be down to crappy cartridges. The standard cartridge filler is not very good imo for liquid getting wicked to the atomizer efficiently. You pull on it a few times and it's fine. It gets hot and theres not enough liquid at the top of the filler nor will liquid at the bottom of the filler get wicked through fast enough so you don't get as good a hit. I've been using blue foam from the US (much talk on ukvapers as the US kind being the best) which works much better but for almost any cartridge a lot of liquid is wasted which is why I prefer to top up.

I would highly recommend you get a drp tip and some low resistance atomizers with your kit and try dripping. Some people never look back from dripping. I prefer cartridges simply because you don't have to top up as often as when dripping but if it gives you more satisfaction it may be well worth your while.

In any case I have loads of the blue foam so if you or anyone else wants some to try some out simply pm me your address and I'll post some out.

Yeah I've started using cartomisers when out and about and direct dripping when at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tinyfox

Hi guys

First off I have to say thank you to mewso for putting up a really informative thread. If I hadn't seen it I think I would be still puffing away!!

Today is day 1 of using the joye 510 and so far i'm loving it. Had the odd pang for an analog but it passes pretty quickly. Purchased the kit from thevapourstore.net and they were fantastic. Ordered it at 14:30 on Friday afternoon and it arrived Monday morning at 11am, cant get better than that :D

I spent all weekend researching as much as I could and I think i'm getting the hang of the carts and topping up etc.

I ordered some more ejuice samples from an American website. It cost $21 for 10 3ml sample bottles with free shipping and I chose the flavours, got everything from peach and pina colada to cola and menthol. They have over 100 flavours (some kinda strange!!) and if anyone is interested i'll post an update whenever they arrive and give my feedback.

Happy vaping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

im using the sd mk1 and headin for 4 months off the smokes thanks to it, never suffered any cravings this time unlike before when I tried giving up!
    have been cutting down the nicotine content in the juice over the last month and am now down to zero nic, not really vaping that much now, can go all day without it, still dont dare to go to the pub without it as this is where all my previous slip ups have happened! bought the 501 at the start but the the SD is way better, I think every body at the start buys something that looks like a normal cig but after awhile you buy what works best, Happy Vaping!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Count1

Mewso and other contributors: thanks so much for this highly informative thread. I have reading it over the last few days and finally ordered a Tornado from theelectroniccigarette.co.uk today. It is now half price at £25 sterling plus £10 p&p. ( they give you two bateries and two atomisers too)

Hopefully, it will arive over the course of the next few days and I will report back. Regrettably, I just jumped right and did not order spare cartridges but it comes with 10 which should get me going.

I have failed to give up smoking in the past and feel quite excited by this potential replacement so I really looking forward to trying it out.

I went with black one as I would guess it gets less hassle if you vape indoors etc. Ahh, the lingo is creeping in..............

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Alright lads. A fantastic amount of info here and like others have said many thanx to the OP and everyone else who have been great with all their input. I've made numerous attempts to give up the fags too...succeeded once for 5 years (I got so sick from drink that I simply wasn't able to smoke for a few days and then just didn't start again). Anyway, went back on em years ago and now I'm just p*ssed off with smoking.. "analogs"... but when I try and stop the withdrawals are desperate and I miss the whole hand to mouth thing...oooh matron. So today I ordered the Joye 510 starter pack and 25 cartridges from thevapourstore.ie. I'll let ye know how I get on as I really want to knock smoking on the head. I have memories of feeling a LOT better when I gave up before so hopefully these things will put me back on that road. Thanx again to everyone for contributing their thoughts and experiences to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Count1

So my Tornado arrived yesterday and so far so good. Just one question though: how long should I get from a prefilled cartridge? ( I was a 20 a day smoker)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Hi Count1 - just wondering how you got it for £10 p&p on theelectroniccigarette.co.uk, I'm in on the site now and its costing £16.99 p&p which seems abit much?

Advertisement