Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Project] SFF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

will see tonight . what the max stable 24/7 you got out of it ?

also gota E6420 .

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

This has turned into an interactive Conzy blog rather than a Shuttle build :D

Anti change the title to "[Project]SFF" please :)

Found some good penryn prices, and they have lots of stock:

Xeon E3110 (E8400) for 163 euro delivered from here

Xeon X3350 (Q9450) for 235 delivered

Awesome prices!

The Q9450 is 320 euro on Komplett without shipping and they have no stock :o the X3350 is damn tempting now, the penryn quads use substantially less power than the kentsfields too, closer in power consumption to an overclocked E8500 than an overclocked Q6600..

power-1.png

power-2.png

Ok so i was hungry for some modding and my Lian Li PC7 Plus was on top of my locker so...

small1.JPG

small2.JPG

I'm gonna make the smallest full ATX, watercoolable case i can, Its gonna be a cube design and have a slightly larger footprint than an ATX motherboard, I will re-use as much of the original case as I can and I will probably get an aluminum shell / cover made at a local fabricator...

If this works well, I just saved 220 euro! If it fails miserably I will buy the Qmicra :)

small_cut.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

conzymaher wrote: »
    Ok so i was hungry for some modding and my Lian Li PC7 Plus was on top of my locker so...

so... you took out the case and took some photos of it :rolleyes: jeez i'd hate to see how wild you'd go if you where MORE than hungry for some modding :D /jk

also, lol, why do you have the periodic table printed out... you mean you don't know that off by heart :eek: shame on you

If you were really sharp you would see the Leaving Cert timetable beside it :P

And the case is completely stripped! fu doubting my work :D

Ill post some more pictures later when its downsized ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'm gonna make the smallest full ATX, watercoolable case i can, Its gonna be a cube design and have a slightly larger footprint than an ATX motherboard

:eek:

Hey man i kid you not that is exactly what i've been planning to do now for weeks, if not months. I have an old beige case that is just waiting to be chopped up. I've got some really cool ideas. I want to pack as much power into as small a space as possible. Gonna do the case build first with as much of the watercooling components in place then in a few months i'll be visiting people in the US and i'll source all the parts there to save some money and slot em in hopefully.

Anyway good luck with yours i'll be gettin mine started as soon as i piece my P180 back together.

Fancy a "BUILD OFF" lol :cool:

omg copycat! :D

I probably wont get much done until after the Leaving Cert which is about 9 weeks away :o

Good luck with your build too, measure twice cut once and all that :D

Just bought a set of OCZ PC2 8000

4gig kit for 76 euro delivered, thanks for the heads up Chosen ;)

Heres my progress on the case mod btw:

cut1se0.jpg

cut2so7.jpg

cut3ls5.jpg

Its tiny :)

how're you gonna stick it all together. Welding is expensive with aluminium i think isn't it? Pop Rivets would do it i'd say. the case i have is steel and i have a mate with a mig welder. probably gonna put Alu panels on it though. have you left it long enough for full length gfx?

The GFX template is a 9800GX2 and the other template is a Swiftech MCR220 rad with 2 120mm fans... So if it fits a 9800GX2 it should fit anything

layout1.jpg

Im just going to pop rivet it back together, I will use as much as the original panels as I can and get some made, but folded aluminum fabrication is really cheap, like 10 euro for a piece to cover the entire machine

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Looks nice conzy, why not mount the psu flat against the back wall so the psu fan will be where the original case fan was?

Thats a good idea, Although im not sure if it will fit! Ill check now to see if it would interfere with the CPU Block and stuff...

Its about 10mm too big :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Lose the first expansion slot, its not like you need it anyway

Thats not where it wont fit, It wont fit between the top of the I/O shield and the edge of the case, and I may need the first expansion slot depending on Motherboard :)

I'm going to position it as is in that picture, except upside-down, so air from the PSU never enters the system and it always has cool, outside air...

You might actually be better off having the psu fan facing down. Drawing air across the cpu socket and surrounding components would serve to cool it. I wouldnt worry about the air in the case getting too hot for it, it just won't.

note: the psu draws air in through the large top fan and pushes it out the back. not the other way round.

Good thinkin with the mock ups by the way. Also what way do you intend placing this pc. lying down like in the pics or up on it's side like normal?

Seen as I will be watercooling the CPU and there would be very little airflow around the Mosfets / Power Circuitry etc.. So I was gonna put a 80 or 120mm fan above the CPU Block to cool all those components, If the PSU is upside down there wont be turbulence between the fans etc, and I don't think the PSU fan alone would be enough airflow to cool the components...

I think im going to use it as a small ATX tower, it has a much smaller footprint that way :)

Also my ram arrived \o/ 64 euro for 4gigs of PC2-8000 ram

i think the psu would be more tham enough to cool it. It has a 120mm fan in it and being so close to the board would draw it's air from that area. it would do the same job as any extra fan you throw in there accept save you the trouble of fitting one and would serve to keep a db's a little lower.

Did you get the VAT off the ram. Do you have to claim it back later or did they just deduct before you ordered it?

Might try it your way first then, its less work :)

VAT has to be claimed back, they charged the full 76 euro to the Credit Card, Still great Value :)

Yeah i checked it out there. God damn ireland. Every other country in the EU can just have it taken at checkout but we need a VAT reciept. Tis a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Also my ram arrived \o/ 64 euro for 4gigs of PC2-8000 ram

Their basic €5 delivery option is basically next day delivery. I love this place :D

Go Go An post!

They are run by GoBeyond, who also run SHop4Memory.ie based in Kildare of all places!

My budget is now reduced a lot slightly because I bought some goodies...

IMG3661_large.jpg

ath_ad700.jpg

creative_zen_1.jpg

Anyway, I may have to scrap watercooling, move the PSU to where the rad was and get some nice Thermalright heatsinks, Seen as the main aim of this project was portability air cooling may be better in the long run...

So revised spec:

E8400 with IFX-14 or True
    9800GTX + HR-03 possibley depending on noise
    Abit IP35 Pro (IP45 Pro if its out)
    4gigs OCZ Platinium PC8000
    1TB Samsung HDD
    Corsair HX620
    Plextor Slot load DVD drive

My budget is now reduced a lot slightly because I bought some goodies...

IMG3661_large.jpg

what that for ............ ? :)

Its a Headphone AMP and a USB Soundcard, it sounds incredible > my X-Fi by miles, im using it with Sennheiser HD280s atm :

HD280-2.jpg

but my Audio Technica AD700s ^ should be here during the week :)

cool would be nice with my sennheisers hd555

Was thinking of getting the HD555s too but the AD700s are better for music and I have the HD280s for games, the isolation at lans is awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Was thinking of getting the HD555s too but the AD700s are better for music and I have the HD280s for games, the isolation at lans is awesome :)

yeah, thats the one main drawback of the HD555 cans, I have a pair myself, the sound out of them is simply amazing, but to achieve this they needed to make them open air to stop earcup resonance. But once you make cans like this it means that if sound can get out then sound can get in. It can be irritating wearing these headphones in a noisy room as they aren't sound canceling at all. Still I wouldn't go back to closed air cans, the sound quality is a lot inferior imo.

I find closed cans great for gaming, especially at lans the HD280s drown out everything..

But open cans are definitely better for most music, closed cans tend to have better bass, well not better, but more of it...

• Advertisement

Time to get this show back on the road!

Ordering the rest of my parts this week and bringing my drawings to the fabricator friday

Final parts list:

Q6600
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4GB OCZ Platinum 1000mhz
    Sapphire Radeon 4870
    Corsair HX620
    WD Caviar 640GB (Waiting on SSD market to stabilize a little :P )
    Creative X-fi XtremeMusic

Cooling:

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + Noctua NF-S12-1200
    Akasa Vortexx Neo
    Scythe S-Flex case fans

Final Design Drawings:

08y50udWWRlEFE7BnnM21hDF_uiB78j5kGbpwTvk4rg#1

Hf43CTZShsBy3MJs-YRPoqNMwKlwzi4bYOarHCaPqVc#2

I am using my old Lian Li-PC7 Plus as the skeleton, its light and sturdy, the front will be made out of perforated stainless steel like this

istockphoto_883226_high_tech_perforated_steel.jpg

There will be cathodes and superbright LEDs on the inside shining out through it, and i'm going to make 4 circular feet from a block of perspex and set a superbright LED into each one so they glow underneath the case :) The feet also hold the shell onto the skeleton...

Still undecided on colour theme, Orange and Green are strong contenders

The case will be made out of a single piece of folded Stainless Steel, I'm going to try get the stuff thats polished to a mirror finish, If I cant, I will leave it matt or try polish it in the future.

Here's a rough sketchup of what the case will look like:

DXrfos31P75lLpP-h2XhLO2TTKt0z_0Mb4T0NWZip88,tUt7A69yrAYoeX3vg54CAKS_VWIdpqi4vgGa7isJbk4#1

Advertisement