Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Build log: (\/)0n0L17(-) II & HAL 1.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    You are getting far too good at that lapping L31mr0d, I can see you running around your house lapping loose change, sponges and of course the pet cat.

Is the wireless keyboard an english layout? Good choice on the PSU, as Timans said, they are great PSUs.

Well i've done it a fair few times now so i've managed to throw all the stuff I need for lapping into 1 box. I found the majority of time wasted when lapping is getting all the stuff together. Plus I have the process down so i don't need to keep checking the surface every 2 minutes, seeing if i'm doing it right.

Its as simple as:

1. Place both index fingers and thumbs on each corner of the CPU then lap up and down 20 times (arbitrary number)
    2. Rotate 180' then repeat (this will make sure you are lapping both sides evenly)
    3. Change grit levels and rotate 90', repeat steps 1 and 2 until all the previous horizontal sanding lines are removed
    4. Continue repeating steps 1 to 3 until you have moved up through all the grits or you are happy with the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Wanna lap my opty for me, im sure it would help me get a few more mhz out of it. Oh and the cpu block too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

You've lovely fingers Liam.

Anti wrote:
    Wanna lap my opty for me, im sure it would help me get a few more mhz out of it. Oh and the cpu block too ;)

lol, no thanks. If I break my own stuff lapping i'm ok with it, but I don't want to have to reimburse other people when I break their cooler or CPU. I'd rather not take the chance.

I don't know why you don't just remove the IHS, its a simple enough process and would probably drop your temps a good few degrees under water.

But that would envolve effort :/

And who is liam :p

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    But that would envolve effort :/

It takes all of 2 minutes to remove the IHS? All you need is a stanley blade and the CPU. If you really want to hit that 3.5Ghz under water its the best way to go. Just think of all those bubbles in the sub standard TIM between the core and the IHS that is hampering your overclock.

... the main risk of removing the IHS is mounting a heavy HSF that will press on a corner or side of the core when the case is vertical. When using water the block has a minimal weight so the risk is also minimal. DO IT! :D

Ah youve twisted my arm.

Ill do it tonight :D Expect a angry phone call if i feck this up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hi L31mr0d..am having the same prob with the q6700 at yourself.
    Also using the Tuniq 120 to no avail.
    Have ordered a lapping kit and am going to lap both heatsink and cpu.
    Did you cpu temps drop much?

Anti wrote:
    Ah youve twisted my arm.

Ill do it tonight :D Expect a angry phone call if i feck this up :P

lol... watch some video tutorials online (there's loads) and just don't apply too much uneven pressure when mounting. People never worried about chipping the core with older AMDs that didn't even have an IHS, yet now people are so paranoid about it. Afair, all you have to do is score around all 4 sides between the PCB and IHS until you have worked your way through the glue holding the IHS on. DONT push the blade in, even if its taking longer than expected, and use a new blade. Also post a log ;)

... and hey, i'm only making the recommendation here, if you have meatballs for fingers with a shaky disposition maybe think about something else :p
    Hi L31mr0d..am having the same prob with the q6700 at yourself.
    Also using the Tuniq 120 to no avail.
    Have ordered a lapping kit and am going to lap both heatsink and cpu.
    Did you cpu temps drop much?

I haven't lapped my QX6700 yet, the one in the picture is the E6600 going in my HTPC. I'll probably lap the QX6700 this weekend. But, from reading around, the QX6700 runs hot, you can get lucky with one that runs cooler, but the majority of them are known to run a lot hotter than the C2D's, as the C2Q effectively has 2xC2D's on the one PCB.

Ok..keep us posted on the cpu lapping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

L31mr0d wrote:
    I haven't lapped my QX6700 yet, the one in the picture is the E6600 going in my HTPC. I'll probably lap the QX6700 this weekend. But, from reading around, the QX6700 runs hot, you can get lucky with one that runs cooler, but the majority of them are known to run a lot hotter than the C2D's, as the C2Q effectively has 2xC2D's on the one PCB.
    Forget lapping, pop the lid on that sucka ;).

nibble wrote:
    Forget lapping, pop the lid on that sucka ;).

Did you not read my comment above. Its very dangerous having a heatsink as heavy as the Tuniq hangin off perpendicular to a silicon core. Also, theres a reason you don't see as many IHS removal guides for C2D, the IHS is soldered on, not glued like the A64's

Ok well my itchy build finger couldn't wait till the weekend so I decided to pull my Lian li PC-V300 apart and install the Gigabyte mobo so I could measure up what parts of the case i'm going to have to cut out to make the 8800GTX fit... man its only when I had it installed did I realised how big this thing is. I'm hoping to fit 2x12cm fans in the front for intake, we'll see how it goes anyway, I might need to get some low profile 12cm fans as logistically i'm having my doubts.

Oh and i go to install teh mobo, and the first thing I need, the I/O plate is missing from the box. Un-fr33kin-believeable... this whole build has been a comedy of errors, here are the problems so far:

1. Guy I bought the eVGA 680i off in the states, sent me a sealed RMA board that included NO cables, NB fan, I/O plate or manuals. He is still waiting for eVGA to send them out to him.

2. I won't even go into it, but lets say the tango Dirk Voodoo has had to go through for me to get OCuk to send out the DVD drive I wanted has been the worst customer support i've ever seen. I wanted a silver sata dvd drive that dirk was going to throw into his order. They sent an IDE DVD drive, he returned it for the silver SATA one, they've now sent a Beige SATA drive. We're leaving it at that, i'm just going to get a silver bezel for the case now.

3. I ordered a Silver lian li fan controller from Italy, they sent me a black one, which i've had to return

4. The I/O plate from teh Gigabyte board I ordered from HV is missing. Also the keyboard they sent is german, but I suppose that was my own fault :rolleyes:

BUT... I just watched "tenants from hell", and in fairness, with perspective, having a tenant fill my bathroom with bags of feces would be a lot worse than any of the above :D

Some pics... I might also mention that the missus was on to me about how she never sees me when I get involved with a PC build, so as she will be using the HTPC the most, she is building it under my guidance (although i'll be doing the dremeling)

The disassembled PC-V300, this really is a PC builders case, more screws than I need and nearly everything can be easily taken apart. No silicon hot glue in site ;) Although there are some horrible rivets, but I suppose I can live with them
    ht32.JPG

Nifty little tool Lian li included to screwing in the stand-offs. Its nice touchs like this that will make me choose Lian li for my next case
    ht33.JPG

With all the gut removed
    ht34.JPG

The missus installing the stand-offs on the motherboard tray, without using the included tool *sheesh*
    ht35.JPG

Installing the 8800GTX so we can size it up to the case
    ht36.JPG

THIS is why I need to go medieval on this case with my dremel
    ht37.JPG

Side by side comparison to see how far into the case the 8800 GTX will reach
    ht38.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What tray is that you need to cut out? It's just below the 5.25" bays right?

Yeah I basically need to remove the tray for the floppy drives so I can fit the 8800GTX in

Ah thats a easy enough job. Try removing 40rivets with a dremel... Now thats a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Your missus has lovely hands as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Easy there swampthing!

SwampThing wrote:
    Your missus has lovely hands as well. :D

Yeah sorry about the gratuitous hand nudity :rolleyes:

Only another 30 minutes of work now and I can get home and start dremeling... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Anti wrote:
    Ah thats a easy enough job. Try removing 40rivets with a dremel... Now thats a nightmare.

You should use a drill not a dremel for rivets...would take mere moments :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

L31mr0d wrote:
    Did you not read my comment above. Its very dangerous having a heatsink as heavy as the Tuniq hangin off perpendicular to a silicon core. Also, theres a reason you don't see as many IHS removal guides for C2D, the IHS is soldered on, not glued like the A64's
    I was just joking, but I have seen some succesful de-IHSing of quads, you only need to run a blow torch over 'em and pop :D .

The missus went for a walk last night so I was able to dremel away in the sitting room :eek:

It worked out pretty well, I only needed one cutting disk. I have a little bit more work to do to fit the front 12cm fans in but i'll wait until I get the 8cm to 12cm brackets off Dirkvoodoo.

This is the area I needed to cut out
    ht39.JPG

...and 5 minutes later with aluminum dust all over the coffee table and carpet, the graphics cards in
    ht40.JPG

another angle
    ht41.JPG

back view
    ht42.JPG

As a side note, loving the NB heatsink gigabyte decided to use
    ht43.JPG

good job man. You must have a steady hand. If i were you i would use some rubber around the area where you dremeled so as to not damage your wires.

@hopeful Yeah i would have used a drill, but i didnt have it at the time. Still it was fun dremeling untill my tips of the fingers turned white.

Looking sweet so far :D

On a sidenote my room must have been hotter than I thought..
    CPU is now idling at 42/41/39/37c and highest it's going with gaming about 55c.
    That's nearly 7c drop just from opening the door and window for a few hours.
    Also checked the Thermalright120 that I took off and replaced with the Tuniq and the CPU IHS is definitely not flat judging from the paste on the HS.
    Hopefully the lapping kit arrives today and I can do it tonight.
    Have a 20+ lan tomorrow and reckon it's going to be pretty hot inside with 20 uber machines :D

Anti wrote:
    good job man. You must have a steady hand. If i were you i would use some rubber around the area where you dremeled so as to not damage your wires.

@hopeful Yeah i would have used a drill, but i didnt have it at the time. Still it was fun dremeling untill my tips of the fingers turned white.

Well I also have a set of metal files, so when I was finished dremeling I filed down all the edges as smooth as any other edge in the case.

Also, Dremels come with drill bits? If you didn't drill the rivets out what dremel bit did you use to remove them?

The metal cutting disc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Anti wrote:

Oh..that would take some time certainly :eek:

Anti wrote:

:eek: I can't even picture how you would do that. Do yourself a favour and head down to B&Q and pick up the Dremel knockoff bit kit for €10. The actual tool is crap, but the discs and bits are as good as the dremel ones. They sell a kit that has pretty much the whole range of Dremel bits in it.

Once you have it you'll find 101 uses for them, i've sanded rusted gate latchs, etched perspex, polished copper, drilled with it, you name it ;)

I had no problems cutting the rivets out tbh. Didnt make any holes or anything. I'll take a few pics tonight so you can see them.

• Advertisement

Well last night I decided to make the final modifications to my HTPC case before the build can be finished. I collected some fans, fan adapters and my "beige" sata drive off Dirkvoodoo. While in town I decided "wth" and bought some cat 6 cables from maplins then got a netgear gigabit switch from PC world on the way home, i'll be using the HTPC as a fileserver so I might as well make use of the gigabit NIC's both of them have onboard. I also picked up a can of silver spray paint from B&Q's to deal with the beige sata drive issue.

The bezel removed 30 seconds after I got it out of the box
    ht44.JPG

...and with the newly applied silver paint job, not too shabby if I do say so myself
    ht45.JPG

cables and stuff I got today
    ht46.JPG

netgear gigabit switch
    ht47.JPG

to fit the 8cm to 12cm fan adapters I needed to cut the bottom out of the floppy tray
    ht48.JPG

I also ran into another issue with the fan adapters not being able to fit beneath the drive bay. So a quick bit of dremeling and a room full of the smell of burning plastic later I had 2 modified to fit fan adapters
    ht49.JPG

Here is both the 12cm fans (Antec Tricools from my P180b) in place
    ht50.JPG

The motherboard tray in place, that is one tight fit...
    ht52.JPG

... but it DOES fit, to my amazement. The clearance we are talking about here is about 1mm *huzzah* I had to use a flashlight on the other side of it to make sure it wasn't making contact because the gap was so small
    ht53.JPG

another angle showing the clearance between the 8800 GTX and fans
    ht54.JPG

Advertisement