Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[English]Is anyone.......

• 16-04-2006 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

Before I begin,that guy that goes by the name of "smemon",dont bother replying to this thread,I don't really care about your opinion so save it :D

ANYWAY.........is anyone learning off essays for the poetry part of the English exam?
    If yes,for which poet will you be learning the answers for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

yes i know people who are learning of essays. At the end of the day, u essentially are learning of the structure for essays. like what you are going to say here and what you are going to say there..

if done well, it can be very successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

fatal wrote:
    Before I begin,that guy that goes by the name of "smemon",dont bother replying to this thread,I don't really care about your opinion so save it :D

ANYWAY.........is anyone learning off essays for the poetry part of the English exam?
    If yes,for which poet will you be learning the answers for?

yup emily bishop ya cant go wrong with the female poets that god for feminism!!! whooo thank you women

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

im learning an intro and a general outline of what i can talk bout, thats it really i dont really know how else to prepare for the essays. once you know the poets work, you cant really go terribly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Ive learned essays focussing on themes,issues and style for longley,bishop,plath,and eliot. Ive done them so many times throughout the year ive them off by heart at this stage! Its a good idea- even if I forget a load of it on the day Ill still have a rough idea of structure!! Id recommend it. I still have one to learn off for Yeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

the only structure i've "learnt" (and since forgotton.. it'll coem back to me im sure... :D ) is for theme/issue in the comparative.

for anything else i think its stupid.. cos well, it all depends on the question.

"Write a personal response to Sylvia Plath" is a very different question to "The poetry of Sylvia Plath moves from landscapes to mindscapes" (or something.. i did a question on that one time...)

if you've learnt off your personal response one, you'll be screwed for that other one.. cos you coudl end up writing the latter with a lot of personal response that may not be focused on teh question... and you'll be marked down for that, and an examiner could see right though it..

just... know you're stuff.. easiest way i think..

*people will probably disagree with me.....

meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

We have been told to learn of essay! personally im just going to learn the basic "pegs" tripper will know what im talking about! The notes are teacher gave us can be structered into any essay you just need the basic points! its not that hard imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Se&#225 wrote: »
    iffy..

ok i am an english nut so you can disregard what im saying here.. but.....

don't learn off essays for poetry. learn off important quotes and maybe some biography parts (style and their life would be useful). drop all sense of technique unless it's really necessary (with Hopkins especially) and write mostly about the message the poet is trying to convey to their reader.

doubt plath will come up. or eliot. (institue said so, so its true! ha! oh i didnt do english there, a friend did and said that). I have a feeling bishop, yeats, hopkins and donne will come up. alot of people feel that way. but they could change it at any moment. that includes the female poet question. it MAY NOT come up. so just dont be banking on the gals and do some of the guys too! :)

hmmm.. again just look at your personal response to the poetry. the most important thing in english.

Most people seem to think Longley instead of Yeats...I don't think he's ever been up and isn't on the course again for five years at least. Same with Hardy. But it's all conjecture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

IIRC every year there is a "personal response" question, so I recommend that you write out a few of them for several poets and read over them once or twice. This will give you a good idea of what to write in the exam. Even if the paper goes wrong for you, personal responses can usually be altered to fit any question.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Well,Bishop or Plath + Hardy is a racing certainty, to my mind. The Department won't spring too much of a surprise. Donne, Bishop, Longley, Hardy. Oh Longley, I love you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

before i begin, let me say i will not tolerate discrimination and intend to sue you fatal for emotional damage :D;)

anyway, back on this bad topic...

hardy will come up. ive been saying it all along, trust me. i'll bet my luxurious double bed on it.

seriously, do u guys feed off work? :p it's all so serious in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Screw learning off an essay for a game of soliders. Sounds like unnecessary hassle to me. If you know whats going on and themes and all of that carry on you'll be able to string it all together on the day I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

smemon wrote:

hardy will come up. ive been saying it all along, trust me. i'll bet my luxurious double bed on it.
    Yerr the one A ive ever gotten in english was on an essay on hardy, im sorted for the leaving now:D ......(except for all those other questions....but ssh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Hoping for Hopkins, now that'd be great, but of course I will study all the poets and NOT learn off essays by heart! :p

I really like his poetry and, if Bishop and Longley come up aswell, most people will answer on them, leaving only a small percentage on Hopkins, which would be ideal for me. I've written what I think is a pretty damn good essay on his poetry, I spent ages getting the introduction right - research on a poet isn't necessarily always a good thing, there is such a thing as too much information, alas! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

Advertisement