The Breast Feeding Support Thread - Page 292 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-05-2015, 19:32   #4366
tinkerbell
woohoo!

Ah, I wasn't sure from your previous post as it wasn't clear if you had the white mark all the time or just for a few seconds. And yeah I read the sentence about the medication wrong, sorry! Hopefully the vasospasm won't last long, it's horrendous!
Advertisement
18-05-2015, 07:53   #4367
cyning

S hasn't fed in 36 hours so I think we are officially finished... Being sick hastened it. Small bit sad over it.

Spotty Vasospasms are awful: I ended up on anti inflammatories twice for them. Hope they pass soon for you
Thanks from:
18-05-2015, 10:17   #4368
RentDayBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyning View Post
S hasn't fed in 36 hours so I think we are officially finished... Being sick hastened it. Small bit sad over it.

Spotty Vasospasms are awful: I ended up on anti inflammatories twice for them. Hope they pass soon for you
Sorry cyning, if you want to keep going it may not be the end. I had to go home recently for a family funeral so was 72 hours between feeds and I assumed she'd not be interests or I'd have no milk but 2 weeks later we're still going strong!

Though if you're happy to stop well done on getting this far, especially given everything
18-05-2015, 10:38   #4369
cyning

Oh I'm happy enough... Bittersweet though! She got 14 months so not too bad
18-05-2015, 12:51   #4370
cbyrd

Please don't despair, pumping when they're so little is so difficult, hospitals are completely shíte at giving good breastfeeding information.
If you need to pump, feed her from one side and pump the other, feed her from the pumped side then, she'll get the hind milk which has lots of fat. then give her what you have pumped.
If you are pumping without feeding her, have some pictures of her or her blanket, it helps let down (probably the tingling you're feeling) and gets the milk flowing, drink lots of water, stop panicking, take to the couch and feed feed feed!
Tiny babies feed almost every hour, the pump will never represent what the baby can get herself.
I had a very stressful start with my little girl, she was in special care for 8 days, I got a huge coldsore on day 4 so I wasn't allowed in near her and they were going to stop her getting my milk at all. I fought them like you wouldn't believe, they decided to call Crumlin for advice and discovered I could express and hand it over!
I had weeks and weeks of her putting on one or two ounces, I had to get her weighed every week, she was doing everything she should but not gaining enough weight for the charts, finally we were bullied into having her checked out in hospital, such scare tactics they used. Talked about brain damage and everything.
We stayed one night, battled to get her out after that horrendous night ( they promised only one night!) blood tests that had all been done and clear were done again, they threatened barrium meals and iv tube feeding . We left with a feeding plan, high calorie formula and a very unhappy mammy and daddy.
I'll add here that the concern was she wasn't gaining, and she was tiny, no attention was paid to the fact that my other 4 babies were the same, and I was speaking from experience. There was nothing wrong with my baby she was just petite,
She'll be 6 months on Wednesday, I'm breastfeeding barr 2 bottles of lactose free formula, even this has given her 3 little eczema patches (all sibling have dairy or wheat issues) but she couldn't keep the dairy free one down. She's now just growing out of the 0-3 month clothes! She's sturdy, strong, pudgy and happy.
It's possible in spite of doctors to keep breastfeeding, rest relax and let baby dictate when to feed. The more she feeds the more milk you produce. Don't lose heart, it was boards ladies that kept me going!

Last edited by cbyrd; 18-05-2015 at 12:57.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-05-2015, 13:37   #4371
RentDayBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyning View Post
Oh I'm happy enough... Bittersweet though! She got 14 months so not too bad
Exactly! Part of my was ok with finishing too, especially now that the little Madame can express her views and decides to scream no no no at me when I take her off, that's after up to 40 mins!!! She loves the comfort I think as I can't imagine she's getting much milk
25-05-2015, 07:35   #4372
spottybananas

If I have expressed milk stored in fridge can I take it with me at room temp to use in a few hours or do I bring it in a cooler pack and heat when needed? I know milk can stay at room temp for a few hours but is that just fresh milk, not milk expressed yesterday?
25-05-2015, 09:06   #4373
RentDayBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottybananas View Post
If I have expressed milk stored in fridge can I take it with me at room temp to use in a few hours or do I bring it in a cooler pack and heat when needed? I know milk can stay at room temp for a few hours but is that just fresh milk, not milk expressed yesterday?
I would keep in cooler pack if it was more than 3 hours, anything under was fine
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 19:05   #4374
snoopy12

Just looking for advice. A red vein like line has developed on my breast, no hard lump, but tender. In now feeding more from that side, changing position of baby aiming nose towards the line. Feel OK otherwise.
Could it be mastitis? (I had cracking up 7/10 days ago but this has cleared up)
Advertisement
Yesterday, 19:38   #4375
tinkerbell
woohoo!

Do you have a temperature or any soreness? If so could be mastitis. Best to get it checked out by somebody.
Yesterday, 19:57   #4376
spottybananas

Snoopy could you call your PHN tomorrow?

I have a rather specific question for anyone with experience expressing, I'm baffled.

I'm using a Medela pump, and have kind of square small bottles that came with it (bought second hand) as opposed to the round bottles that are meant to be with it. I expressed what came to 100ml on the little square bottle, put it into a Lanisoh breastmilk storage bag, and it said that there was 80mls, I then put it in a Tommee Tippee 0-6 bottle and it said there was 50-60mls?? That happened twice with the same volume. The bottles are the ones I was given in the hospital too so surely they are the right volume if that's what the hospital go by?

Just now I expressed what appeared to be 70mls by the square bottle, it was 90ml on the bag, God knows what it will actually be in the bottle.

Has anyone any advice or even info as to which one to go by?
Yesterday, 20:58   #4377
Fagashlil

I've had that between bottle, pumped 100ml into a advent, and when I poured it into a tomee tipee it was only 80ml! If you have a reliable measuring jug, you could fill each container and our it into that to see which is closest?
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 21:39   #4378
kandr10

Yeah the measurements on bottles aren't really that reliable. But they don't have to be, they're just approximations. If you know roughly that the baby usually feels full after a full or 3/4 full square bottle, what does it matter how many ml it is? If you really want to be sure, use a digital scales. At least then it's only being poured from bottle to bag so you don't lose any more milk to a measuring jug. I wouldn't sweat it though.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:42   #4379
cbyrd

I always thought I was hallucinating hospital bottles and the tommie tippy never matched!
I started solids 12 days ago and omg she's amazing at feeding! Opens her mouth for the spoon and gets excited when she sees the bowl! I pureed sweet potato butternut squash and apple and she loves it. I also gave her mashed carrot and pieces of cucumber and lettuce! She loves lettuce

She has 2-3 bottles a day but since she started solids she's looking for the breast more.. Dunno why but I'm delighted cos with 5 kids it's when I get to put my feet up!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion