Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Air - Recurring Problem

• 24-05-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

This is a bit of a long story, but I would appreciate any advice offered.

I have a mid-2013 Macbook Air, which I bought on its release. No problems to report up until February 2015. The Macbook Air display began to go to black in the middle of typing or browsing, so it wasn't as if it went to sleep - this problem occurred in the middle of use. It would go to black for about 5 seconds then it would come back on after mashing a few keys or clicking the mouse.

One morning, it would not power on at all. I plugged it in incase it was dead, no joy. I checked the charger was working in another Macbook, and it was, so it wasn't an issue with the charger itself. I rang Apple Support and none of the solutions offered by the technician worked, so i was told I would either have to drive to the Apple Store in Belfast or bring it to an Apple Authorised retailer down here. Apple Authorised retailers charge from 65 euros upwards to just look at the machine, so I didn't want to go down that route. I drove to Belfast a few days later (the Macbook has not been working at all during this time). When we got there, the Apple 'Genius' had no idea what the problem was. He ran the diagnostic tool which reported no issues with any of the hardware. He established there was nothing wrong with the power cord. He drained all the life out of the battery and plugged it in and it started working again - so they sent me on my way.

About a month later, same problem again; Macbook Air just won't turn on - it's not just a display issue as there is no noise coming from the machine, no sound from the fan etc. Rang Apple Support again, and again none of their over the phone solutions worked, and I had to drive to Belfast yet again. This time, again, they could not diagnose the issue - they ran the diagnostic programme on it which said all the hardware was working correctly. This time, rather than just working with it on the spot, I left it in the store for about 2/3 hours for them to run some further tests. When I came back, they were still none the wiser, but again drained the life out of it and it came back on, and they gave me a new charger 'just in case,' even though the charger was working.

This morning, same problem again. Macbook Air was working no problem up until now, and now it won't power on at all. I rang Apple Support. This time they didn't even try the over the phone solutions as they have a full record now on their system of it not working with this issue. I have again been told to go to Belfast or use an Apple Authorised service provider here.

At this point, I am completely fed up. The machine is not even 2 years old and cost approx. €1400. It has cost me €50 each time driving to Belfast. They don't do weekend appointments at the store in Belfast, and I now work full-time so i cannot go up mid-week. I have been given an 8.45pm appointment in Belfast for Thursday night, which I might not even make it to in traffic leaving work at 5.30pm. I have a new job so asking to leave early is out of the question, as is a day off (this will only be my second week).

Do I have any rights in this case to try pursue this further? I am now without a laptop yet again, I don't know if I will make it to the appointment on time which could mean a completely wasted trip to Belfast, plus the costs will now be at €150 for petrol as this is my third trip. I don't want to go to an Apple Authorised store here such as CompuB as they charge €70 just to look at the machine, and if the Apple staff cannot diagnose the problem, why would I pay CompuB €70 to tell me they don't know what it is and give a possible quick fix like I have been given in the Apple store. Apple don't provide any sort of courier service either. I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. The Macbook is extremely well cared for and has no damage btw.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Who did you buy the MacBook from?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Why don't you try and make an appointment with the Genius Bar for Monday coming, It is a bank holiday here, but not in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

dudara wrote: »
    Who did you buy the MacBook from?

The Apple online store!

Roddylarge wrote: »
    Why don't you try and make an appointment with the Genius Bar for Monday coming, It is a bank holiday here, but not in the north.

I just had this thought myself! But I'm registered to do the women's mini marathon this Monday so unfortunately that won't work. Good suggestion though, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Did you try a factory reset to rule out a software issue

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Did you try a factory reset to rule out a software issue

I can't do anything with it I'm afraid as it will not power on. Even all the suggestions from Apple care such as an SMC reset did not work.

Hold down on power button for about 40 seconds then plug in and leave for about half an hour. It works on windows machines if theres any sort of static in the machine. The built in battery might cause a problem though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ring Apple and insist on speaking to Customer service. They have a policy (or used to) to replace machines after 3 repairs. They don't shout about it, but they did it for me previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

IMO, it's time for a registered letter to the Apple Store giving them 10 working days to resolve the issue or else you're going to the Small Claims Court. You've been on the phone several times plus two trips to the Belfast store. That's enough as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 purdey

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Hold down on power button for about 40 seconds then plug in and leave for about half an hour. It works on windows machines if theres any sort of static in the machine. The built in battery might cause a problem though

I'll try this tomorrow to see if I can get it on but I still need to resolve the issue of this repeatedly happening. Thanks!

dudara wrote: »
    IMO, it's time for a registered letter to the Apple Store giving them 10 working days to resolve the issue or else you're going to the Small Claims Court. You've been on the phone several times plus two trips to the Belfast store. That's enough as far as I'm concerned.

I think you're right. I'll ring the customer service centre first as suggested by the poster above (sorry I'm on my phone so can't see previous poster details while replying!). Ill see what they say and log that with everything else up until now in the letter and get it sent off. Thanks for the advice!

purdey wrote: »
    Presuming you bought your Mac from the Apple Irish online store, you are still covered under EU Consumer Law, similar to an extended warranty.

This will cover any hardware defects, which it sounds like you may have.

But you will need to get the problem properly diagnosed by an Apple authorised service centre. No need to go to Belfast! I'm sure they will be able to further instruct you on getting coverage under this consumer law

As much as a hassle in terms of time and money going to Belfast is, it is ever so slightly cheaper than giving CompuB the 70 euro they want just to look at the machine. From past experience in the Apple store in Belfast, even they can't figure it out, so I'd rather deal directly with the company I purchased it from in the first place if you know what I mean.

cUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN, BRING IT STRAIGHT TO MACTIVATE, THAT'S WHERE COMPU B SEND THEM

cUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN, BRING IT STRAIGHT TO MACTIVATE, THAT'S WHERE COMPU B SEND THEM

Mactivate charge the same as compub and as I said I don't really want to give them that amount of money for a problem that up until noe has been unresolvable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

FYI Compu b do not send anything to Mactivate They have seven of their own service centres, by a long mile service more customers than Mactivate.

Crunchy Friends, if you are happy to have the machine repaired at this stage drop it into Compu b, this is an issue they've come across. There may be a charge but atlas your machine will be fixed. be sure to ask about your EU consumer rights, they should waive most if not all the charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

FYI Compu b do not send anything to Mactivate They have seven of their own service centres, by a long mile service more customers than Mactivate.

Crunchy Friends, if you are happy to have the machine repaired at this stage drop it into Compu b, this is an issue they've come across. There may be a charge but atlas your machine will be fixed. be sure to ask about your EU consumer rights, they should waive most if not all the charges!

Why would compu b waive any charges? It wasn't bought from them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why would compu b waive any charges? It wasn't bought from them?

They're an authorised apple service provider (not just a reseller), so it's possible (never dealt with them so Greentree_uk might be mistaken)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The EU Directive was never implemented in full in Ireland. OP would need to bring a case against the retailer (AppleStore) to the Small Claims Court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mactivate charge the same as compub and as I said I don't really want to give them that amount of money for a problem that up until noe has been unresolvable
    Send the apple store a registered letter asking for the laptop to be replaced or for a full refund as they have already attempted several repairs! (each call to their tech people is a repair attempt as is all your trips to Belfast!)

Then either get forms in your local district court office for the small claims court or you can also make a small claim online/download the forms online here The cost of the whole process afaik is €25

Be consumer savvy instead of fanboy/girl, you have rights unless you give them away to the retailer and apple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement