Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭listermint

alastair wrote: »
    The Eurostat figures (including indirect taxation like Vat) beg to differ.

give give.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Gotham wrote: »
    I realize that yes, it will still makes a difference to my wallet.

Yep - it'll cost you more in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Yep - it'll cost you more in the UK.
    The UK was just an example.
    Actually I was planning on emigrating to Nigeria, better standards there at least and they wont tax you on all the money you "earn".

afaik in the uk if you genuinely don't watch the bbc.. you dont have to pay for it

Of course you don't. Unless you own anything with a tv tuner in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I also love RTE text gouging.

We're giving away 1k in cash. ....

text the word cash followed by your name to 57111

Texts cost one euro or one pound sterling...... Must be a tidy little sum almost every day.

On top of license fee and advertising revenue etc.

• Advertisement

Irish homeowners won't even get that option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jun/18/do-you-need-tv-licence

nope

so long as you dont watch live tv, you dont have to pay

SamHall wrote: »
    I also love RTE text gouging.

We're giving away 1k in cash. ....

text the word cash followed by your name to 57111

Texts cost one euro or one pound sterling...... Must be a tidy little sum almost every day.

On top of license fee and advertising revenue etc.

Why should it bother you? Do you feel obliged to enter?

Why should it bother you? Do you feel obliged to enter?

No.

But if the govt get their way I will be obliged to fund them.

Regardless if I even have the equipment needed to recrve their services.

Texting requires an opt in. That being my point.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jun/18/do-you-need-tv-licence

nope

so long as you dont watch live tv, you dont have to pay

The licence is for having a tv tuner on your property - not just using it. If it's got the capability to view/record live tv then you need to pay the licence - whether you watch anything on it or not. The law covers both installation and use.

Licence required for use of TV receiver

(1)A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.
    (2)A person who installs or uses a television receiver in contravention of subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.
    (3)A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who—
    (a)intends to install or use it in contravention of subsection (1), or
    (b)knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection,is guilty of an offence.

• Advertisement

No.

But if the govt get their way I will be obliged to fund them.

Regardless if I even have the equipment needed to recrve their services.

Texting requires an opt in. That being my point.

You're already obliged to fund them - you've said so already.

You're already obliged to fund them - you've said so already.

Wrong.

currently I'm obliged to pay a tv license upon owning a tv.
    I own a tv.

The govt are going to take my choice of paying for a service via owning a tv away from me.

Wrong.

currently I'm obliged to pay a tv license upon owning a tv.
    I own a tv.

The govt are going to take my choice of paying for a service via owning a tv away from me.

Were you going to give up your telly any time soon? As I say - you're already obliged to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Were you going to give up your telly any time soon? As I say - you're already obliged to pay.

What if you dont own a telly, watch nothing from RTE online and dont ever access their website? How is this blanket tax fair in that case?

Why do you keep repeating that?

I'm not obliged to pay a tv license anymore than I'm obliged to have a license for a gun or a dog.

Maybe I was thinking of getting rid of the TV.

Maybe I was intent on buying a projector. Maybe a pc monitor.

Should I be forced to subscribe to the rte guide now regardless if I want it?
    Sky?

Rte is broadcast in digital nowadays. Let them encrypt it and make it subscription only.

Problem solved.

Why do you keep repeating that?

I'm not obliged to pay a tv license anymore than I'm obliged to have a license for a gun or a dog.

Yes - you're just as obligated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

are you seriously saying I oughta buy a gun license even though I don't own a gun?

Yes - you're just as obligated.

Explain?

I don't have a dog, no gun either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Eurostat figures (including indirect taxation like Vat) beg to differ.

listermint wrote: »
    give give.

So no stats then ? you just decided to say Eurostat figures ???

Explain?

I don't have a dog, no gun either.

You do have a telly though - so you're just as obligated as if you had a gun or a dog.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    So no stats then ? you just decided to say Eurostat figures ???

Oh sorry - you didn't actually ask for anything. Maybe be a little less cryptic next time?

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Tax_revenue_statistics

are you seriously saying I oughta buy a gun license even though I don't own a gun?

Eh, no - you're obligated if you have a gun - as stated.

You do have a telly though - so you're just as obligated as if you had a gun or a dog.

So. .....

I'm not obliged to fund rte as it stands unless I own a tv.

The govt want to make me be obliged to fund rte now regardless if I own a tv/radio/anything at all necessary to receive their services.

I think we're getting somewhere now.

I dont Use RTE at all for anything and never intend to, own a telly but no saorwiew box or UPC/sky box so cant receive RTE on it and now im being asked to pay tax for a LUXURY service i never intend to or want to use explain that to me?

So. .....

I'm not obliged to fund rte as it stands unless I own a tv.

The govt want to make me be obliged to fund rte now regardless if I own a tv/radio/anything at all necessary to receive their services.

I think we're getting somewhere now.

Yes - once you grasp that you're already obligated, we will have got somewhere. The change from tv licence to broadcast tax will make no difference to your pocket.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I dont Use RTE at all for anything and never intend to, i dont own a telly and now im being asked to pay tax for a LUXURY service i never intend to or want to use explain that to me?

I wouldn't see public broadcasting as any luxury - pretty much every state - even impoverished ones see the social merit in it. I also doubt you make absolutely no use of RTE services. But you could be an extraordinary individual.

I wouldn't see public broadcasting as any luxury - pretty much every state - even impoverished ones see the social merit in it. I also doubt you make absolutely no use of RTE services. But you could be an extraordinary individual.

It is a luxury, there is no necessity of having a publicly funded broadcaster especially one as bloated and piss poor at their job as RTE.

It is a luxury, there is no necessity of having a publicly funded broadcaster especially one as bloated and piss poor at their job as RTE.

That's your opinion. Given the widespread adoption of public broadcasting around the world, it's a bit at odds with other's.

That's your opinion. Given the widespread adoption of public broadcasting around the world, it's a bit at odds with other's.

And given the widespread adoption os this little thing called the internet dont you think its time we started trying to look at other methods of media distribution?
    The ONLY reason this tax is getting introduced is because RTE are loosing money to Netflix, free streaming sites etc and rather than sit down and actually think about a way to compete they are just gonna force us to pay them to do a job that as time goes on will become less and less relevant in a modern media culture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

How do you know it does a piss poor job if you never watch it?

Advertisement