Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

KilOit wrote: »
    Console only! Bleh, well that's scratched off my list

I`d say it`ll get a PC release when they release it on next gen systems.
    Seems very late in the console cycle for them to be releasing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

@above,
    "Bungie COO Pete Parsons said that there is a high chance that Destiny will be coming to the PC and that we should stay tuned for more."
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/bungies-destiny-officially-revealed-may-be-coming-to-the-pc-after-all/

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Its a FPS/Action game that requires always online to play(to stop second hand gaming ?), not sure if it has mmo elements, but they state it as been an action game... i wonder if sony can get them to show something more on the 20th ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

It looks interesting but from the details given so far it would be absolutely bizarre if they didn't bring out a PC version. It looks tailor made for the PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks interesting, but i'll wait and see.

No interest in the social aspect of it though. "Yes, lets tweet about how i killed that dragon!" No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The story: there was a Golden Age long ago when human civilisation occupied the Solar System. This didn't last. At some point a mysterious force almost wiped out humanity, but the Traveller stepped in, making a last stand that saved a precious few. The Traveller's sphere floats above the Earth's last great city, watching, protecting. Now, humanity is creeping out from behind the safety of the city's huge wall only to find aliens have taken root across the Earth, the Moon, Mars, Venus and other areas of the system. And the aliens are attacking the city in an attempt to finish off mankind for good. You play a Guardian charged with defending the city, fighting back against the aliens using weapons powered by the Traveller's advanced technology.

Destiny is a persistent world complete with a dynamic day/night cycle and weather effects. Your character has persistent progression across single-player, co-op and competitive multiplayer as it levels up and gains new equipment and weapons. But the most important feature to note is that players, and Destiny, are always connected to the internet. Indeed you have to be connected for the game to work. Even when you're playing on your own you're playing with other players.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-17-destiny-bungie-unveils-its-shared-world-shooter

They give some details as to how the 'social' aspect will fit in.

Sounds interesting. Could be a game changer. Or a mess.

But you get the sense that Bungie are really motivated by this. Whereas with Halo they were in 'golden handcuffs' to the franchises success and MS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

How the hell is it a game changer? It's just a more instanced MMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Stev_o wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't mean game changer necessarily in terms of delivering revolutionary ideas.

But Bungie do have a knack of polishing stuff to a shine and making it palatable to the wider gaming audience.

If they package smoothly sand box elements with a slick FPS with COD leveling up and WoW MMO elements and make the 'always connected' model (no 1 on the shopping list of every developer publisher) seem not only acceptable but advantageous, then it would be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes but one thats already got a cult following behind it because of whos making it, plus its looking very FPS like which will tap an audience that only Planetside 1&2 has previously been able to go for when it comes to MMOs except this will have access to the console fps players as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I read about this and my thoughts were summed up by Tim @ Ctrl Alt Del perfectly
    Yesterday Bungie finally unveiled the first details about their big new game, Destiny. Apparently it's a sci-fi first-person shooter, and you play as the one person who stands between humanity and the hordes of angry aliens that want to wipe us out. Oh, and also there's a huge, mysterious round alien object in space that is a core element of the plot.

It seems to me like they're attempting to build a better Halo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think they would be mad not to do a PC release, to be honest I would say what would happen is that they will go ahead and release the version for the current gen consoles, then a few months later, an updated "next gen" version, to be conclusive with the PC release, or they will just release the first part of it on "this gen" and just wait til next gen for the sequel, interesting times ahead, they are sticking with what they are good at it would seem.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

GAAman wrote: »
    I read about this and my thoughts were summed up by Tim @ Ctrl Alt Del perfectly

Except you arent "the one" this time your "one of many", yes there are huge similarities between the stories but Halo was incredibly popular story and gameplay wise so why not do something similar again and expand upon it with a social aspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Missed this yesterday so just catching up now reading various articles on the not so revealing reveal, from what few details we've been given I'm quite interested :)

Really want to see some gameplay, hopefully get something tasty at e3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

be mad alright to not have it on pc, mmo's are one of the genres pc really shines with

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can anyone say generic ?

You can say it, but it doesn't mean you'll be right! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,633 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Those leaked images came from a best buy I am told, our corporate was pretty pissed about it. One of those is a preorder card that is exclusive to best buy (the style of card is)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Didnt realise there was already a thread on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's. So. Dull.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moved thread from PS forum and renamed thread. I could have sworn there was a bigger Destiny thread somewhere, but search is unhelpful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

A predominantly brown FPS that looks like Modern Warfare with lazorz? Well that's the genre totally redefined for a new generation, and no mistake.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll definitely be buying it but I can't shake the feeling that it just looks like a more serious take on Borderlads where the online gameplay is no longer optional.

There's even legendary loot in it:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just had a look on the wiki page that paul mcCartney is one of the composers for the game :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Expect the basic game to cost €90 then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sarky wrote: »
    Expect the basic game to cost €90 then.
    You only wanted to buy the in game music CD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Some new gameplay video out today, looks ok.

Think thats peter dinklage doing voiceover???? (tyrion lannister)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

calex71 wrote: »

Think thats peter dinklage doing voiceover???? (tyrion lannister)
    Yep it is! Looking forward to getting my hands on the beta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Kinda looks like a cross between Warframe and Borderlands, which i both loved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think it looks great. Just a shame it's not coming out on the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

That new clip looks great.

Really looking forward to its release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks so unnatural to me to see a fps being controlled by a joypad, the awkward movements just takes you out of the immersion.
    Game like this would thrive on a pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

KilOit wrote: »
    Looks so unnatural to me to see a fps being controlled by a joypad, the awkward movements just takes you out of the immersion.
    Game like this would thrive on a pc

Ye what's is this Bungie crowd thinking, making an FPS for console.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement