Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS eeprom chips

• 05-12-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

anyone here able to replace 'em?
    got a laptop shaped brick... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tdr

Its hard to replace them.
    You would have to find the chip on ebay or the like and ensure it is pre flashed.

If you only got the laptop it should be covered under warranty.

Also with a lot of laptop they have a flash BIOS mode when booting. i have to do it on my laptop every year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

What happened? Did an upgrade go wrong?

A new chip would cost less than a fiver and would have to be flashed with the relevant BIOS file. You should be able to use the old bios chip and get it re-flashed with the latest update from the manufacturer, depending on what happened to it.

Either way, this will involve removing the old bios chip from the motherboard and re-programming it on an external EEPROM programmer. If that fails a replacement will have to be sought, the chip can be identified by the serial number that is printed on the top and it can be purchased from Radionics.

The lazy way out of this mess is a bios re-flash service that is based online. Here is a link to one : http://badbiosflash.com/reflash.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kayotic18

tried a custom bios from bios-mods.com, on first boot it seemed fine, but on second boot when trying to enter bios menu it decided to brick itself.
    not actually my laptop, the HP laptop belongs to a friend, he wanted to install a wifi card that was whitelisted on the HP.
    AFAIK, it's still bricked. I'll pass on this info to him.
    Thanks for your time/reply

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

might be better posting in laptops

most laptop bios chips these days are soldered on the motherboard and many laptops have a recovery mode where they can recover from a corrupt flash

you'll need the model number and possibly a portable USB drive

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kayotic18

the laptop (a HP dv6, iirc) doesn't want to recover it's bios, now it could be my fault for unknowingly trying to recover it from a flash drive through a previously water-damaged usb port.

• Advertisement
Advertisement