Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multiswitch

• 09-03-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Can a multiswitch distribute signals to 4 receivers using a twin feed from Satellite
    dish? Does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

A multiswitch needs 4 feeds from a quattro lnb (4 fixed feeds). Some will work with quads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

A multiswitch needs 4 feeds from a quattro lnb (4 fixed feeds). Some will work with quads.

I saw some multiswitch devices on eBay that have two inputs and 4 outputs. Wondering is that possible to connect two feeds to this and output to 4 receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

teednab-el wrote: »
    I saw some multiswitch devices on eBay that have two inputs and 4 outputs. Wondering is that possible to connect two feeds to this and output to 4 receivers.

Link?

The frequency range 10.7 - 12.75 GHz is split into 4 bands and you could have a number of receivers connected to the multiswitch with each viewing a programme from a different band hence the reason you will require 4 feeds from the LNB.

1. Lo-Band 10.7-11.7 GHz Horizontal polarisation
    2. Lo-Band 10.7-11.7 GHz Vertical polarisation
    3. Hi-Band 11.7-12.75 GHz Horizontal polarisation
    4. Hi-Band 11.7-12.75 GHz Vertical polarisation

The Cush wrote: »

Link?

The frequency range 10.7 - 12.75 GHz is split into 4 bands and you could have a number of receivers connected to the multiswitch with each viewing a programme from a different band hence the reason you will require 4 feeds from the LNB.

I will put up the link here in a bit.

I can't believe in this day of age that there isn't a unit out there that can solve the above problem that converts two feed signals to four. Hardly that impossible now is it. Drilling more holes in the wall is just messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Absolutely impossible to convert 2 ordinary Ku band feeds to 4.

C band only needs two feeds for a Multiswitch.

There are "special" LNBs that can feed 12 boxes or so from a single cable. But you also need a "special" Satellite receiver.

• Advertisement

I can't believe in this day of age that there isn't a unit out there that can solve the above problem that converts two feed signals to four. Hardly that impossible now is it.

Obviously it is.

Fibre optic LNBs are the latest development in this area but at a cost - http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/overview.asp?catid=12&subcat=66

Not suitable, for use in the USA on the Dish Network.

Some examples of what you're looking for
    http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?prod=Smart-Titanium-MS-5/8-ES-Multiswitch&id=2914&catid=12&subcat=11
    http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?prod=TELESTAR-STARSWITCH-5/8-G&id=588&catid=12&subcat=11

The first example can use either a standard Universal quad or a quattro LNB. The second requires a quattro only.

Not suitable, for use in the USA on the Dish Network.

Some examples of what you're looking for
    http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?prod=Smart-Titanium-MS-5/8-ES-Multiswitch&id=2914&catid=12&subcat=11
    http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?prod=TELESTAR-STARSWITCH-5/8-G&id=588&catid=12&subcat=11

The first example can use either a standard Universal quad or a quattro LNB. The second requires a quattro only.

Cheers.

Sorry for all the questions but in the first example there, do I need 4 feeds down from the quad lnb to connect to this multiswitch? I thought it was said on here that I couldn't do it with only two feeds.

I have an quad lnb installed on my dish with only two feeds coming down to my satellite receiver. I have a sky+ box and a FTA satellite receiver connected to the same tv. I have the two feeds connected to the sky box and no feed is connected to the other FTA satellite box. The reason I want the FTA satellite receiver there is that it has an EPG for Channel 5, 5 USA, 5*, UTV, ITV channels that the sky box doesnt have and I hate the way the sky box is set up for tuning in the channels not on the sky card and no info displayed. The FTA satellite box is better in that sense and all I want to do is switch to this box when browsing to the above channels.

Sorry for all the questions but in the first example there, do I need 4 feeds down from the quad lnb to connect to this multiswitch? I thought it was said on here that I couldn't do it with only two feeds.

You can't do it with 2 feeds from a quad, you require all 4. The multiswitch then takes one band from each of the 4 feeds.
    I have an quad lnb installed on my dish with only two feeds coming down to my satellite receiver. I have a sky+ box and a FTA satellite receiver connected to the same tv.I have the two feeds connected to the sky box and no feed is connected to the other FTA satellite box. The reason I want the FTA satellite receiver there is that it has an EPG for Channel 5, 5 USA, 5*, UTV, ITV channels that the sky box doesnt have and I hate the way the sky box is set up for tuning in the channels not on the sky card and no info displayed. The FTA satellite box is better in that sense and all I want to do is switch to this box when browsing to the above channels.

You could simply run another feed from the quad LNB to the FTA sat receiver (or two feeds if it's a PVR type) no multiswitch required.

Whichever way you go you will require a min of three feeds for the two receivers from the LNB or a multiswitch.

• Advertisement

You can't do it with 2 feeds from a quad, you require all 4. The multiswitch then takes one band from each of the 4 feeds.

You could simply run another feed from the quad LNB to the FTA sat receiver (or two feeds if it's a PVR type) no multiswitch required.

Whichever way you go you will require a min of three feeds for the two receivers from the LNB or a multiswitch.

I could run another feed down but the wires are going through the front wall of the house and two wires as it is looks desperate. A third wire would not look too good in the front of house. Its just the way the house was built.

I could run another feed down but the wires are going through the front wall of the house and two wires as it is looks desperate. A third wire would not look too good in the front of house. Its just the way the house was built.

Typical Sky install I guess.

Is there any co-ax cable routed inside the house for a regular TV aerial?

The reason I want the FTA satellite receiver there is that it has an EPG for Channel 5, 5 USA, 5*, UTV, ITV channels that the sky box doesnt have and I hate the way the sky box is set up for tuning in the channels not on the sky card and no info displayed. The FTA satellite box is better in that sense and all I want to do is switch to this box when browsing to the above channels.

Can't you just take a feed from the lnb-out of the FTA receiver (Triax 537?) & loop it to 1 of the Sky box inputs if you're only going to be using one receiver at any given time? (Wasn't this exhaustively explained in another thread?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I can't believe in this day of age that there isn't a unit out there that can solve the above problem that converts two feed signals to four. Hardly that impossible now is it.

There are devices that can frequency-shift the feeds from an lnb such as the stacker/destacker which can feed 2 tuners with a single cable run between the stacker & destacker units.

Also the single cable distribution system already referred to above, where each receiver is allocated its own operating bandwidth & all channels are converted to this frequency before being sent on a single cable serving multiple users, which can simply be tapped into at each receiver point.

Typical Sky install I guess.

Is there any co-ax cable routed inside the house for a regular TV aerial?

Yeah I wasn't around when your man installed the unit but i felt I could have done a better job myself. Very sloppy and untidy.

I only have a socket in the wall for a terrestrial aerial if that's the one you are referring to?

Can't you just take a feed from the lnb-out of the FTA receiver (Triax 537?) & loop it to 1 of the Sky box inputs if you're only going to be using one receiver at any given time? (Wasn't this exhaustively explained in another thread?)

Correct me if im wrong here but that wont work if I keep the Skybox powered ON while switching over to the FTA receiver. Both receivers will be fighting over bands and frequencies wont they? Dont know if the FTA box records if powered OFF?

I have a hdmi switch with a remote setup up that I can just switch from one box to another. Too much hassle switching off one box with one remote and switching on another with another remote. I dont want to be powering off one box and turning on another box with two separate remotes if you know what I mean.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    There are devices that can frequency-shift the feeds from an lnb such as the stacker/destacker which can feed 2 tuners with a single cable run between the stacker & destacker units.

Also the single cable distribution system already referred to above, where each receiver is allocated its own operating bandwidth & all channels are converted to this frequency before being sent on a single cable serving multiple users, which can simply be tapped into at each receiver point.

Would this be a solution to my problem? How would you go about doing this stacker/destacker method? I dont know enough about it eventhough I saw a video on youtube of it been connected up. I need to research it. Is it done outdoor or can it be done indoor too? Any drawbacks with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Stacker / Destacker
    They are unreliable, only work decently on short runs and not cheap. Adding more cable is preferable. You can put it in rectangular clip on cover low profile "trunking", 4 in a row, and paint to match house wall (even bricks).

The Single cable method needs expensive LNBF and compatible receivers. It's also unlike Multiswitch not expandable.

watty wrote: »
    Stacker / Destacker
    They are unreliable, only work decently on short runs and not cheap. Adding more cable is preferable. You can put it in rectangular clip on cover low profile "trunking", 4 in a row, and paint to match house wall (even bricks).

The Single cable method needs expensive LNBF and compatible receivers. It's also unlike Multiswitch not expandable.

how are they unreliable as a matter of interest?

I only have a socket in the wall for a terrestrial aerial if that's the one you are referring to?

Yes, does this cable go back to the attic or similar location? Is there an aerial connected?

Could you run a cable from the satellite dish to this cable in the attic? Using a sat/terrestrial combiner the two signals could share the same cable.

• Advertisement

Yes, does this cable go back to the attic or similar location?

Yes, this cable runs up to an aerial I have in the attic.

Is there an aerial connected?

I had that aerial cable connected to my FTA box at the moment for the saorview channels.
    Could you run a cable from the satellite dish to this cable in the attic?

Its possible but would require alot of work I reckon.
    Using a sat/terrestrial combiner the two signals could share the same cable.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, Would I be taking a wire from the dish up to the terrestrial aerial and using the combiner it would pass a satellite signal down via my aerial socket on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Correct me if i'm wrong here, Would I be taking a wire from the dish up to the terrestrial aerial and using the combiner it would pass a satellite signal down via my aerial socket on the wall?

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Satellite_UHF_combiner.html

Yes, hopefully the cable in your wall is also satellite signal compatiable.

FRIENDO wrote: »

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Satellite_UHF_combiner.html

Yes, hopefully the cable in your wall is also satellite signal compatiable.

Anyway of knowing beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Yes

If you could inspect the cable in the attic, looking for any serial markings, example RG-6, many different types and post the serial type.

You could also try connecting the satellite STB to the wall socket and if you have a satellite meter connect it in the attic, power on the satellite STB and you may get an audio signal on your meter, if you get an audio signal the cable may be ok.

Anything other than the old brown TV co-ax should work.

Correct me if im wrong here but that wont work if I keep the Skybox powered ON while switching over to the FTA receiver. Both receivers will be fighting over bands and frequencies wont they? Dont know if the FTA box records if powered OFF?

Either put in the extra cables or make some compromises. Making post after post here, hoping people will tell you what you want to hear, isn't going to change the reality of the situation.

See a video here - http://www.tvtrade.ie/alltrade-tv-aerial-and-satellite-combiner.html

Also this diplexer wallplate for the TV end to split the signal again - http://www.tvtrade.ie/wolsey-tv-aerial-and-satellite-wall-plate.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Would this be a solution to my problem? How would you go about doing this stacker/destacker method? I dont know enough about it eventhough I saw a video on youtube of it been connected up. I need to research it. Is it done outdoor or can it be done indoor too? Any drawbacks with it?

Wasn't really suggesting solutions to your 'problem', only that such things do indeed exist 'in this day of age', as you put it.

Either put in the extra cables or make some compromises. Making post after post here, hoping people will tell you what you want to hear, isn't going to change the reality of the situation.

What's with the snappy remark? I'm just looking for advice, nothing wrong with that I hope? I am enquiring as to what I can do without drilling another hole in the wall with messy wiring going through it. In fairness there are other posters on this thread who have been very helpful to me and appreciate their help but unfortunately you don't fit that category.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »

Wasn't really suggesting solutions to your 'problem', only that such things do indeed exist 'in this day of age', as you put it.

Ok fair enough. Wasnt aware of it before you said it here.

Advertisement