Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cant decide,,help

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

My sister is getting a new lap top ,price range around 1300.I cant decide between these two.First is a dell.

Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)

1Yr XPS Premium Warranty Support - Priority Call In and Onsite Support
    17.0" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA (5400RPM)
    512MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX graphics card
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software - Vista
    9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (80 Whr)
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=NRS17101&l=en&m_30=111309&oc=N10X7101&rbc=N10X7101&s=dhs
    with the 512MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX
    Comes to around 1,316

Second on is an acer.

Platform Technology Intel Centrino
    System Type Notebook
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 / 2.5 GHz
    Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
    64-bit Computing Yes
    Data Bus Speed 800 MHz
    Cache Memory
    Installed Size 6 MB
    RAM
    Installed Size 4 GB
    Technology DDR2 SDRAM
    Storage controller
    Type Serial ATA
    Storage
    Hard Drive 320 GB
    Optical Storage
    Type DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM
    Display Type 16 in TFT active matrix
    Max Resolution 1920 x 1080
    Widescreen Display Yes
    Colour Support 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
    Audio Output Sound card
    Audio Input Stereo microphone
    Notebook Camera
    Camera Type Integrated
    Input Device(s)
    Type Keyboard, Touchpad, CineDash, 4-way scroll button
    Telecom
    Modem Fax / modem
    Max Transfer Rate 56 Kbps
    Protocols & Specifications ITU V.92
    Networking
    Networking Network adapter
    Wireless LAN Supported Yes
    Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11n (draft), IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, Bluetooth 2.0 EDR, IEEE 802.11g
    Battery
    Technology Lithium Ion
    Operating System / Software
    OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Service & Support 1 year warranty
    Video
    Video Output / Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS
    Video Memory / Installed Size 512 MB

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_6920G_Gemstone_Blue_Laptop_LX.APQ0U.088/version.asp?tref=fpg-Acer%20Aspire%206920G
    Price 1,355

Im drawn towards the acer,,,i dont know much about the two video cards.

rgds Cuppa

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What does your sister want to use this machine for?
    If it's web browsing/office apps etc then these machines are way over kill!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

well ,,my sister only wants it for browsing the web.
    But id like to use for some gaming aswell;),when im away from my desktop.
    I am putting in the extra 300+.

Thanks for all the help.

think ill go with the acer

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Acer is the better brand, after a year, Dell laptops seem to lose all their performance capabilities. I'll just warn you that a 17" screen is very big, especially if it is for your sister. A 13" / 15.4" would be much more suitable, and also shave a good bit of the weight off as well

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Acer is the better brand, after a year, Dell laptops seem to lose all their performance capabilities.

What a ridiculous statement. Absolute rubbish. Here i am, typing on a 3 year old dell, has it lost all it's performance capabilities? Hell no! I have numerous friends with different Dells that work just fine after years of use.

• Advertisement

Ta,,my sister is looking for a big screen,she wont be bringing it out anywhere.
    Her old dell was around 13 years old before it died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

... after a year, Dell laptops seem to lose all their performance capabilities. ...l

How does a Laptop or any computer lose its 'performance capabilities'?? :D

Perhaps some OS housekeeping is needed or even a OS re-install if that didn't help.

OP, if you're looking at spending that amount on a laptop for gaming ability mostly, the Dell gets the nod for the GPU alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Del2509

Just don't go Acer. After one month my power lead blew and burnt my hand as I was plugging it in. Tried to inform Acer about this and got no reply from their service department after 3 mails from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

cuppa wrote: »
    well ,,my sister only wants it for browsing the web.
    But id like to use for some gaming aswell;),when im away from my desktop.
    I am putting in the extra 300+.

No offence but you're a bit of a...... Extra 300? A machine for 400, 500 euro tops would do everything she wants (and more), you expect her to pay about 500 out of her own pocket just so you can play games? 800 euro of that purchase is for you, so giving 300 euro doesn't cut it, you're just ripping her off. You're also going to burden her with a machine that's heavier, hotter running and reduced battery life.

The first one will kill the second one in games by the way.
    Acer is the better brand, after a year, Dell laptops seem to lose all their performance capabilities.

Please don't post if you haven't a clue about computers, for gods sake, you're just misleading everybody. People just love to have a whinge about Dell. That's akin to saying your fresh milk tastes bad after a few drinks are taken from it - which is how ridiculous the above statement sounds to anything who has even the fundemental grasp of how computers or more likely operating systems work.

my sister wants too spend 1000 euro on a laptop.She wants something that will last her a long time.
    I have a a pretty good desktop E6700,2gig dominator xms2 and a 8800gtx.(which my sister uses all the time).
    I will only be using her laptop around once a month.(for a bit of css) .
    My sister likes the look of the acer over the dell.She wont be bringing the laptop anywhere and it will allways be pluged in .

only real differance i see over the laptops is the vid card.
    the acer has a better cpu bigger harddrive space and bluetooth.
    And its Windows Vista Ultimate
    Is the 9500gs that much slower than a 7950gtx

rgds cupps

• Advertisement
Advertisement