Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scumbags - Zero Tolerance?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Peteee wrote: »
    I think someone hasn't read 1984

It's one of my favourite books. But picture the future as a boot stamping on your face forever and ever and ever.. only the boot is a nike air max. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Kernel wrote: »
    It's one of my favourite books. But picture the future as a boot stamping on your face forever and ever and ever.. only the boot is a nike air max. ;)

"WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
    ."
    George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

If a judge sentances you to 40 years, you should serve all 40, not get 10 years off right away - just coz the scones tasted nice at lunchtime.

So then how do you control them once they're inside? The only reason the courts do this is so that the threat of more prison is dangling by a thread over the criminal's head, and so in theory they're easier to deal with.
    Agree 100%. I find it amazing that there's people who work their fingers to the bone to scrape together money so they can afford a house and yet there's scrotes who do nothing all day and live off dole who are given a free gaff by the Corpo

Yeah. Kick them out onto the street. They can live in tents in pheonix park. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Fremen wrote: »
    So then how do you control them once they're inside? The only reason the courts do this is so that the threat of more prison is dangling by a thread over the criminal's head, and so in theory they're easier to deal with.

Yeah. Kick them out onto the street. They can live in tents in pheonix park. :rolleyes:

Exactly you have to address the reasons at the roots of the issue not the issue itself, how is the system failing these people that they enter crime how can it reduce the number of people who enter the criminal system the answer is certainly not to add more people to that criminal justice system.

And if they were kicked out of their homes like some posters wanted wouldn't they then mostly likely turn to some form of crime to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Guardian Angels FTW.

Get some of these brothers over.

Seriously though, I think such a scheme, if properly led and organised, could help.

Most guttersnipes are cowards and would be doing half the $hit they do in the presence of an organization such as the Guardian Angels.

They wont come, they were going to but they didnt receive enough support. I emailed them a few years back.

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    Exactly you have to address the reasons at the roots of the issue not the issue itself, how is the system failing these people that they enter crime how can it reduce the number of people who enter the criminal system the answer is certainly not to add more people to that criminal justice system.

I'm all in favour of tackling the root causes as well, but I see the problem as multi-pronged, and maybe zero-tolerance is one prong to attack with. The problem with focussing solely on the root causes is that we still have an abundance of guttersnipes causing the broken windows scenario in areas.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of curfews for youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm all in favour of tackling the root causes as well, but I see the problem as multi-pronged, and maybe zero-tolerance is one prong to attack with. The problem with focussing solely on the root causes is that we still have an abundance of guttersnipes causing the broken windows scenario in areas.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of curfews for youngsters.
    Listen pal. Heres the facts.

Before you became a copper: Scumbags were here and there but in general they kept themselves to themselves

Since you've become a copper: Open warfare. Scumbags terrorising neighbourhoods, killing foreigners, no respect for authority.

YOU'RE THE ROOT CAUSE KERNEL. ERADICATE YOU AND ALL WILL BE WELL AGAIN.

Just Pigheads 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

AIt basically means we would be prosecuted for minor transgressions of the law. Drunk/disorderly etc, in order to crackdown on higher level crimes happening.

That is the current system we have, if you are arrested for being drunk/disorderly ect you are prosecuted. This is what happens already.

Pighead wrote: »
    Listen pal. Heres the facts.

Before you became a copper: Scumbags were here and there but in general they kept themselves to themselves

Since you've become a copper: Open warfare. Scumbags terrorising neighbourhoods, killing foreigners, no respect for authority.

YOU'RE THE ROOT CAUSE KERNEL. ERADICATE YOU AND ALL WILL BE WELL AGAIN.

Just Pigheads 2c.

Haha, ah Pighead, I wish I was a copper and could deal with this problem, but as I work in a box factory (like you) I can only theorise and put forward ideas.... You were beaten up once and rescued by girls, if I recall, surely you're in favour of doing something?? :pac::pac:

slipss wrote: »
    That is the current system we have, if you are arrested for being drunk/disorderly ect you are prosecuted. This is what happens already.

It's supposed to, however, where is the line in the sand? Warnings etc. Plus in order to adopt ZT we'd need more guards, stiffer sentances and more cooperation between law enforcement and council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Haha, ah Pighead, I wish I was a copper and could deal with this problem, but as I work in a box factory (like you) I can only theorise and put forward ideas.... You were beaten up once and rescued by girls, if I recall, surely you're in favour of doing something?? :pac::pac:
    Box factory? Pighead wishes. Nah, still **** off those stinking animals at the zoo. Gotta get a new job. Anything going in the cop shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Gas chamber ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

One of the reasons I'm against zero tolerance is that everyone makes mistakes. I'm about as far from a scumbag as you can get*, and even I've had my run-ins with cops. A zero-tolerance policy would remove any discretion on the part of a guard.
    This is an important point: a major part of good policing is knowing when someone needs to be hauled in front of a judge, and when someone is clowning around and needs to be sent home with a warning.

Oh, and for the record, it's not "them" we'd be going after, it's everyone. Have you jaywalked recently?

*in terms of attitude and outlook, not in terms of money, before anyone jumps down my throat

Advertisement