Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Bees" out backyard

• 01-09-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi as above ive some flying friends out the back and want to get rid of them cause i need to continue working out there.

There was aload of bees with the brown backs (name?) under some old high dry grass and i unearthed them yest. There was no hive that i can see and there is only about ten or so but they are flying around the garden all day in a circle back to the spot in the old grass.

Ive looked all over the internet and can only find info that they will move on in few days. Is this right or do i need to kill them one by one. Im aware bees are dwindling but i need to get rid , humanly if possible Neighbours had a hive underground about 10 feet from my yard ,few years ago Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

I'm not a bee expert, and I'm not going to preach to you about leaving nests alone unless you know what you are doing.

I assume you mean Bombus pascuorum. Bumblebee nests die off every year at autumn time, so it would have been gone soon, anyway. The bees are probably hanging around because there are more trapped below, unless they have already started dying off. There are a lot less here, so that may be the case across the country.

Maybe an expert will show up soon to advise you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't see why you feel you have to get rid of what sounds like Bumble Bees. Work around them. What is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

I don't see why you feel you have to get rid of what sounds like Bumble Bees. Work around them. What is the problem?

Well the problem is i dont wanna get stung by a bumble bee. If you cant answer without a cheeky attitude dont bother.

The first reply was helpful thanks Black Heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

a bumble Bee will not sting you untill you SERIOUSLY p1ss him off, they are not in any way aggressive.

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Well the problem is i dont wanna get stung by a bumble bee. If you cant answer without a cheeky attitude dont bother.

The first reply was helpful thanks Black Heart.

Hang on a minute. I was far from being cheeky. I always give my best advice here. I just needed to know why you had a problem.

That said, and thanks to your clarification, you will not get stunk by Bumble Bees that are nesting in your garden. You would want to have a hand in the nest or to crush one before it will sting. Therefore just let them be (pun not intended).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I concur with recent posts about the unlikely hood of being stung by Bumble Bees.

This summer I was sitting on a log for about 10 minutes. There were quite a few bumble bees around, but it was only after I'd got up that I realised I had plonked one foot over their entrance hole. They could neither get in or out, but they continued as if nothing had happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

One of my earliest memories is of my father stroking a bumble bees back (yes it was alive).
    As said they're pretty passive unless they're hit/ squashed which we found out the hard way.
    My daughter got stung when she half knelt on one that had made it's way into her bed. It then flew/ fell under the bed and when my husband leant down to look under the bed to prove to her that it couldn't possibly have been a bee he put his hand straight on it and got stung too :rolleyes:

I often pick up Bumble Bees from the driveway, or road, and move them the safety. I also will put a Bumble Bee on my hand from time to time to show children that they need not be paranoid about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Me too .. I'm continually rescuing them from spiders' clutches when they get tangled up in the webs in my conservatory in the spring. They're pretty harmless little critters and endangered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

Bombus pascuorum is a very docile bumblebee (even by bumblebee standards), so you need not fear being stung. Attacking their nest is probably the only way to provoke them. :pac:

Anyway, we are due a cold spell. Apparently, from Monday temps will be below normal. These bees will be gone soon. The next generation will have left already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement