Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it wrong to wear professional team gear..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

phew, had mine on this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Wear what you want when you are out cycling yourself. Its no different to wearing a football shirt when having a kick about. Anybody who says otherwise is just a snob with an inflated opinion of themselves.

Obviously dont wear it where you shouldnt, ie a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I tend to wear retro stuff so hopefully people will think I've had the jersey from when it was first issued and / or I'm paying homage to the great riders of the past:) In truth, I just prefer it, and a matching cap with the jersey is about as far as I go in wearing team kit.

I'd say wear what you want, but when this was discussed before someone made a very valid point - wearing full team kit (jersey, shorts etc) is like turning up to your Wednesday night game of five-a-side in full Manchester Utd gear.

I think there is also an argument against wearing jerseys that have to be earned (polka dots, yellow or pink, green, rainbow etc) - unless you actually earned them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Good point on the whole wearing a full kit from top to bottom.

I tend to mix and match from what ever is clean, and if that's a matching jersey and bib I really couldn't care less.
    My gloves, helmet, bottles are always going to be of some generic unbranded variety in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Jawgap wrote: »
    I tend to wear retro stuff so hopefully people will think I've had the jersey from when it was first issued and / or I'm paying homage to the great riders of the past:) In truth, I just prefer it, and a matching cap with the jersey is about as far as I go in wearing team kit.

I'd say wear what you want, but when this was discussed before someone made a very valid point - wearing full team kit (jersey, shorts etc) is like turning up to your Wednesday night game of five-a-side in full Manchester Utd gear.

I think there is also an argument against wearing jerseys that have to be earned (polka dots, yellow or pink, green, rainbow etc) - unless you actually earned them;)

+1

I love the retro stuff too... I mean in general (I was just born in the wrong age) and I treated myself with one of these for my weekend spins. It didn't arrive yet, but I'm looking forward to wearing it.

Santini%20Italy%20Jersy%20Black.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jtwoods

Seriously, who gives a flaming f@@k what you wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

So, in summary, it's not wrong but it might be a bit 'wrong'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Buying Professional Team gear supports the sport, you "euro" **** can feel free to buy and wear your softened budgie pelt Rapha shíte ;)

So, in summary, it's not wrong but it might be a bit 'wrong'.

.....but it can be a lot wrong......

lampre.jpeg

Jawgap wrote: »
    .....but it can be a lot wrong......

You're not wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think people should be allowed to wear what they want.

Oh wait, they are already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Sandals with a Lampre kit. :o

Lumen wrote: »

Dang gub'ment.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

and abundantly... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

fat bloke wrote: »
    I did the Ronde Van Vlaaaaarendendingalingenennn earlier this year. One of the lads thought it he'd look spiffing in his Cancellara Swiss Champion jersey.

The whole day, the "Hey Fabian" Belgian jibes never got old.

Saw him there too. He stuck out a bit as very few were wearing pro team kit.

Wasn't he lampre kit photo guy reportedly mentally handicapped?

Wearing team kit in general?

18532228.jpg

Wasn't he lampre kit photo guy reportedly mentally handicapped?

I did a quick Google on "fat lampre dude" and discovered an allegation that he was the town mayor.

I don't know whether that answers your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I did a quick Google on "fat lampre dude" and discovered an allegation that he was the town mayor.

I don't know whether that answers your question.

Saw that link, so yep question answered.

Posted this in another thread.....

hinault+push.jpg

Don't wear full kit near Bernard!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

No. If it was wrong you couldn't purchase it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

irish-stew wrote: »
    So how would a 'King of the Mountains' Jersey be viewed with black bib shorts.

Apart from the obvious having to cycle up that mountain without dismounting.

:D

haha i wear that exact combo on occasion. honestly i cant see why it would be frowned upon? people wear football and rugby jerseys all the time because they support the team or like the jersey etc... it doesn't make them plebeian. I think its pretty snobbish to consider them lesser because of their dress sense, surely their cycling should do all the talking. I've seen and passed plenty of lads on their full carbon/ dura ace bikes on the climbs on my 9kg beaut and ive been wearing my king of the moutains jersey ooops.

I saw someone dressed in a Leopard Trek jersey and short combo at the weekend and they were not even riding a trek. i shoulda thrown my water bottle at him, the cheek! :p

• Advertisement

allez wrote: »
    haha i wear that exact combo on occasion. honestly i cant see why it would be frowned upon? people wear football and rugby jerseys all the time because they support the team or like the jersey etc... it doesn't make them plebeian. I think its pretty snobbish to consider them lesser because of their dress sense

Gentle piss taking of people who wear KOM jerseys and the like is nothing to do with snobbery. Certain cycling jerseys are like trophies, you have to earn them.

There is no equivalent in rugby or football.

Or maybe there is. What about if you had a replica FA cup in your living room with your name engraved on it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote:

Or maybe there is. What about if you had a replica FA cup in your living room with your name engraved on it?

if you're John Terry, you might.

so if i had a Chelsea jersey with a champions league 2012 winner badge on the sleeve then id be completing a faux pas? the same could be said for any pro jersey because you have to earn the right to wear them on the relevant stage. the supporters don't have to earn that same right to wear them because they are bits of merchandise aimed at promoting the sport. I suppose its the same as some lad in a Barbarian's jersey or a United jersey with Rooney on the back of it. They may not have selected for the Barbarians or are Wayne Rooney but its not wrong to wear them IMO. I bought my KOM jersey a few years ago because i really appreciated the climbers and what they did, it didn't mean i went up and down Slieve Maan thinking i was a former winner of the jersey and how i was entitled to instnat respect because i was wearing it haha Wearing pro or classification jerseys surely help promote the sport if anything.

*for the record i am not a Chelsea supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I bought my KOM jersey a few years ago because i really appreciated the climbers and what they did, it didn't mean i went up and down Slieve Maan thinking i was a former winner of the jersey and how i was entitled to instnat respect because i was wearing it haha

You must not be wearing it correctly so if you do not feel that way!

so if i had a Chelsea jersey with a champions league 2012 winner badge on the sleeve then id be completing a faux pas?

Do professional footballers wear winners badges on their jerseys? I have no idea. Football is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

so if i had a Chelsea jersey with a champions league 2012 winner badge on the sleeve then id be completing a faux pas? the same could be said for any pro jersey because you have to earn the right to wear them on the relevant stage. the supporters don't have to earn that same right to wear them because they are bits of merchandise aimed at promoting the sport. I suppose its the same as some lad in a Barbarian's jersey or a United jersey with Rooney on the back of it. They may not have selected for the Barbarians or are Wayne Rooney but its not wrong to wear them IMO. I bought my KOM jersey a few years ago because i really appreciated the climbers and what they did, it didn't mean i went up and down Slieve Maan thinking i was a former winner of the jersey and how i was entitled to instnat respect because i was wearing it haha Wearing pro or classification jerseys surely help promote the sport if anything.

*for the record i am not a Chelsea supporter.

No, Rooney is paid to wear a United shirt. Much like he was paid to wear an Everton shirt and may some day be paid a lot more to wear a City shirt. I can pay to wear a Chelsea jersey because I'm showing my allegiance to a club and its supporters, you don't need to earn it.

You need to earn this though, through pain and suffering:

Johnny-Hoogerland-polka-dot-stage-9-Tour-de-France-2011-550x366.jpg

Although maybe forking over a chunk of your signing-on fee to a greedy agent could be considered pain and suffering too?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

the same could be said for any pro jersey because you have to earn the right to wear them on the relevant stage.

Actually there is a fair few people in the sport who'd see it that way. Personally I don't see the harm and consider it the equivalent of soccer fans wearing their team's shirt. But I would shy away from current pro team kit for those reasons (and the possibility of being slagged by Sean Kelly).

I'd draw the line at wearing a jersey that's a prize because it's a bit disrespectful.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    No, Rooney is paid to wear a United shirt. Much like he was paid to wear an Everton shirt and may some day be paid a lot more to wear a City shirt. I can pay to wear a Chelsea jersey because I'm showing my allegiance to a club and its supporters, you don't need to earn it.

You need to earn this though, through pain and suffering:

Johnny-Hoogerland-polka-dot-stage-9-Tour-de-France-2011-550x366.jpg

Although maybe forking over a chunk of your signing-on fee to a greedy agent could be considered pain and suffering too?

i reckon i could win this jersey with the being the case. when is the deadline to sign up for the tour? is the refreshment stops on the way like wicklow 200? Ive never rode a HC climb but im pretty sure the HC stands for happy camper so how hard can it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Inquitus wrote: »
    Buying Professional Team gear supports the sport, you "euro" **** can feel free to buy and wear your softened budgie pelt Rapha shíte ;)

"euro ****" What's the opposite? Fred tossers?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,330 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do professional footballers wear winners badges on their jerseys? I have no idea. Football is stupid.
    In the Premier League, the team that wins the league wears gold premier league badges on the arm of the shirt whereas it's white for all other clubs.

Advertisement