Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Did all that good-bye Galaxy people over to iphone for me best of luck with your phones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Did anyone get the home desk app?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/34862/samsung-galaxy-s-accessory-range

I can't find it anywhere. Not on the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

For the laugh, check out a damage resistance test made in Korea on the SGS

Sturdier than I thought, by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JustinOval wrote: »
    If I was a Mac user, I'd go for an iphone too.

I'm a mac user and I can't wait to get rid of my iPhone after using a galaxy s for 3 days I'm converted, there is no comparison. The iPhone really is a terrible phone and it took the galaxy to prove that to me.
    It'll be great to get the galaxy and finally get good phone reception without any stupid bumper or standing on a roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OSI wrote: »
    Works perfectly fine with my Mac, and my Mac in work, and my Girlfriends Macbook. You obviously didn't try very hard.

I don't think that's a fair assumption, just because ye didn't have any trouble with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

Has or does anyone use this phone for tethering and is it easy to set up on the netbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I have tried it once. It works very easily. It just creates a wireless network that you connect your laptop too.
    It drinks battery tho. Best to use it plugged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

Hi, I just bought New samsung galaxy S on Android 2,2froyo... it is unlocked for all networks and i am current vodafone prepay customer. i have a problem wit mobile internet. In my previous phone (nokia n97) i had something like ISP network so i could acces the intenet for cheap anywhere i was. In samsung i have a problem with this .... i cant find the isp settings or it has no ISP. is there any other options to access internet when im not at home for cheap !!??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 harry92

Apart from the buttons, is there any differences between the i9000 and the American Vibrant/Captivate?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

harry92 wrote: »
    Apart from the buttons, is there any differences between the i9000 and the American Vibrant/Captivate?

Think one of them has an LED flash, there's also a 16gb version

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Great news: Skype is now available on the Galaxy S on the 3 network :D, so far not yet for Video calls but at least they finally got Skype working so you don't need Fringe, Nimbuzz but the original one. It looks like they took it from xda-developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

fransdev wrote: »
    Great news: Skype is now available on the Galaxy S on the 3 network :D, so far not yet for Video calls but at least they finally got Skype working so you don't need Fringe, Nimbuzz but the original one. It looks like they took it from xda-developers.

So if we swap to them on PAYG how do you dload the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Think one of them has an LED flash, there's also a 16gb version
    I don't think any of the Galaxy variations have LED flash, none by these pics anyway:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i897_captivate-pictures-3408.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_vibrant-pictures-3416.php

Although I did see a new variant called the Galaxy S I909, but I think it's just for the Chinese market...
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i909_galaxy_s-3487.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The EPIC 4G version for Sprint has a hardware keyboard and a flash. Not much good on a GSM network though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

If you are on PAYGO then you just need to Top Up for 20 Euro every month to qualify for the free Skype to Skype. The app can be downloaded through My 3 on the phone. Enjoy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

droidman wrote: »
    So if we swap to them on PAYG how do you dload the app?

on the phone go to mythree > services > skype and click download. Make sure you are on 3g otherwise you'll get an error page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

mathew wrote: »
    on the phone go to mythree > services > skype and click download. Make sure you are on 3g otherwise you'll get an error page.

I'm presuming once you have it downloaded you will only be able to use it on the three network?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ladder042

im in the same boat and still left wondering is there any differance between them ??? i do like apple though all those apps think ill be sticking with my iphone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I don't think any of the Galaxy variations have LED flash, none by these pics anyway:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i897_captivate-pictures-3408.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_vibrant-pictures-3416.php

Although I did see a new variant called the Galaxy S I909, but I think it's just for the Chinese market...
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i909_galaxy_s-3487.php

the epic 4g has a flash and a front facing camera its not out yet though, also thecaptivate has 16gb of storage im not sure if the galaxy s's in ireland have that

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Just wondering can anyone help, i got the I9000 during the week and updated to Froyo but cant access data network since. I'm on vodafone and have tried everything . Can anyone help? Maybe post the settings so i can input manually or tell me if there is some way of turning on data. The wifi works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

darkmark79 wrote: »
    Just wondering can anyone help, i got the I9000 during the week and updated to Froyo but cant access data network since. I'm on vodafone and have tried everything . Can anyone help? Maybe post the settings so i can input manually or tell me if there is some way of turning on data. The wifi works fine.

I have the same problem and i am also in vodafone ...... im gonna try to install 2,1 version. and wait for official 2,2 froyo ...cuz i also have no mobile networks. i cant swap between 2g and 3 g i have no isp , live etc ..... so I think setting up a old version of android willl help .... or just give back the phone to service .... but it will take a week before you get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Has there been any official word about Froyo for the Galaxy yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

szybki wrote: »
    I have the same problem and i am also in vodafone ...... im gonna try to install 2,1 version. and wait for official 2,2 froyo ...cuz i also have no mobile networks. i cant swap between 2g and 3 g i have no isp , live etc ..... so I think setting up a old version of android willl help .... or just give back the phone to service .... but it will take a week before you get it back

Let me know how you get on with 2.1. I was thinking about doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

darkmark79 wrote: »
    szybki wrote: »

This is simple to solve.
    Just go to Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile networks > Access point names

Click on Menu and Add APN
    Then just use the standard Vodafone ISP settings from the sticky in Mobiles/PDA's

• Registered Users Posts: 26 chanlizard

I going to get this tomorrow, I think I will go with the 1 GB a month bill pay package with Meteor, do anyone know how much webpages is that a day?

I saw that one of the phone companies had an online calculator but I cant remember where i saw it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

chanlizard wrote: »
    I going to get this tomorrow, I think I will go with the 1 GB a month bill pay package with Meteor, do anyone know how much webpages is that a day?

I saw that one of the phone companies had an online calculator but I cant remember where i saw it..

Plenty, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 chanlizard

JustinOval wrote: »
    Plenty, don't worry about it.
    really? thats great so, cos I thought it would only be like 20 pages a day!
    I suppose just stay away from videos and it would be fine right...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

chanlizard wrote: »
    I suppose just stay away from videos and it would be fine right...?
    For the first month or two keep an eye in your day to day usage with something like 3gwatchdog. I have WiFi in work and at home so my monthly usage after 3 months on o2's 250 mb per month add on is 30-40 mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

nereid wrote: »
    For the first month or two keep an eye in your day to day usage with something like 3gwatchdog. I have WiFi in work and at home so my monthly usage after 3 months on o2's 250 mb per month add on is 30-40 mb.

Do this ^^, you probably won't need it after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any word on Froyo for this?

Advertisement