Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Raoul wrote: »
    Haha, am I going to become addicted to flashing various roms??:eek:

Yes and you will also find yourself frantically speed-reading the XDA forums trying to find solutions to the many problems you will undoubtedly cause yourself due to newb over-confidence.
    (if you're anything like me, that is.... )_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Haha, am I going to become addicted to flashing various roms??:eek:

Well I don`t think there`s an easy way to say this but...YES!

You`ll never go back once you flash a ROM, custom ROM`s are what make the SGS the BEST phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

How can i tell if i'm running 2.2.1? Kies says there's no updates and the phone's firmware says 2.2. Build number is Froyo.Xwjpa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How can i tell if i'm running 2.2.1? Kies says there's no updates and the phone's firmware says 2.2. Build number is Froyo.Xwjpa

JPA is from last October and is 2.2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Right, well thanks to peer pressure its done:mad:.

And....it turns out my phone wasn't that fast!!:mad:

And...now it seems pretty darn good:D:D

What should I do first? I'm sooo excited.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    JPA is from last October and is 2.2

i did read that somewhere. how do i get the official 2.2.1?

Told ya it was worth it,
    Now get that kernel updated to the latest Dark Core 1.4, it has slightly better memory usage. Just download it and copy it to sd card and install it with CWM.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71581455&postcount=349

You can also enable lagfix in CWM (if you not done so already)

Get all your apps installed, all your homescreens and widgets placed and take a full apps, app data and system backup with Titanium

Told ya it was worth it,
    Now get that kernel updated to the latest Dark Core 1.4, it has slightly better memory usage. Just download it and copy it to sd card and install it with CWM.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71581455&postcount=349

You can also enable lagfix in CWM (if you not done so already)

Get all your apps installed, all your homescreens and widgets placed and take a full apps, app data and system backup with Titanium
    What have I gotten myself into? haha.

How the hell do I do this?

Edit - CWM is clockwork mod. I can't see where to download this and install it. Have to do it using odin.

Will need to have a better look at this later. Dont have the time right now. Ah just have to get it from the market. Will do later

Right, well thanks to peer pressure its done:mad:.

And....it turns out my phone wasn't that fast!!:mad:

And...now it seems pretty darn good:D:D

What should I do first? I'm sooo excited.

Before you do anything, BACKUP, there`s always a change of something going wrong.
    What have I gotten myself into? haha.

How the hell do I do this?

Edit - CWM is clockwork mod. I can't see where to download this and install it. Have to do it using odin.

Will need to have a better look at this later. Dont have the time right now. Ah just have to get it from the market. Will do later

Just put the ZIP file on you INTERNAL SD card, then go into recovery (CWM) its something like apply zip from sd card/select zip from sd card then find your zip file and select yes, let it do its thing, you can go into setting/about phone and make sure it flashed.

For modems and kernels you can flash through CWM, I would only use odin for flashing a stock ROM.

To go into clockworkmod recovery on Darkys just long press the power button and select recovery, it will then reboot to recovery. When in recovery select apply zip from sd, navigate to the file on your internal sd and install it. There will also be a lagfix option where you apply the lagfix. You will use CWM for updating Darkys from now on, its as simple to upgrade Darkys as it is to apply this new kernel zip.

• Advertisement

i did read that somewhere. how do i get the official 2.2.1?
    Anyone?

Anyone?

No idea how u make Kies install it, but its available from here, you can use Odin to install it

Will that void warranty?

Will that void warranty?

Probably, they're official firmwares, just your operator hasn't officially released them yet. Who is your operator BTW?

Meteor Bill Pay.

Meteor Bill Pay.

Its just someone else on Meteor might post what version they're on, you could get it from there and flash it

To go into clockworkmod recovery on Darkys just long press the power button and select recovery, it will then reboot to recovery. When in recovery select apply zip from sd, navigate to the file on your internal sd and install it. There will also be a lagfix option where you apply the lagfix. You will use CWM for updating Darkys from now on, its as simple to upgrade Darkys as it is to apply this new kernel zip.

Got all this done. Before I turned the lagfix on, the battery was draining so so quick. So have all that done. What should be my next steps?

Thanks very much or all your help.

Got all this done. Before I turned the lagfix on, the battery was draining so so quick. So have all that done. What should be my next steps?

Thanks very much or all your help.

If the new 1.4 kernel is on there its the latest, not much more you can do but enjoy the phone. You can check by going settings --> about phone, should see Dark Core 1.4 listed as kernel. The new kernel is smoother, supposedly he's freed up 30MB of memory compared to 1.0

If the new 1.4 kernel is on there its the latest, not much more you can do but enjoy the phone. You can check by going settings --> about phone, should see Dark Core 1.4 listed as kernel. The new kernel is smoother, supposedly he's freed up 30MB of memory compared to 1.0

Yeah its there. Thanks.

Can't get the blink control thing to work. It is one thing that I would really like to work.

Yeah its there. Thanks.

Can't get the blink control thing to work. It is one thing that I would really like to work.

It doesn't blink unless you pay for the paid version, it just stays on when u get a notification

• Advertisement

Still pretty cool!

What launcher you use Pog? Im currently using ADW, I think its good. Not a fan of launcherpro

Still pretty cool!

What launcher you use Pog? Im currently using ADW, I think its good. Not a fan of launcherpro

Launcher Pro, I like the widgets, I bought it.

I`ve tried a few of the other launchers but I always come back to LP, GO Launcher is fairly good, fairly similar to LP, I think its the simplicity of it that I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Anyone?

Hi guys, been off here for a while now. Been busy on XDA.
    You can get the latest firmwares from www.samfirmware.com
    There are also carrier specific firmwares on there. Use odin. Most of these firmwares are 1 or 3 file with no PIT, so no need to re-partition.

My advice to anyone thinking of flashing a custom rom on their SGS is to stick with one of the latest Froyo roms. (JS8, JPG, JPJ, JPK). DOcs Beta kitchen was made public a few weeks ago and every Joe soap looking to have the latest and greates rom are having troubles with it without having the knowledge to sort it out themselves.

XVJVK ( or Gingerbread) is a beta and will most likely never make a final release. While perfectly usable, it DOES have issues and is a little unstable.

SO for any noobs, stay away from beta roms !

BTW...I use Doc's roms and his ROM Kitchen is awesome. ;)

Launcher Pro, I like the widgets, I bought it.
    +1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Still pretty cool!

I like Zeam

Otterbox Comuuter case arrived today! A bit disappointed that the screen protector doesn't cover the buttons at the bottom. Will have to order new ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Hi guys, been off here for a while now. Been busy on XDA.
    You can get the latest firmwares from www.samfirmware.com
    There are also carrier specific firmwares on there. Use odin. Most of these firmwares are 1 or 3 file with no PIT, so no need to re-partition.

My advice to anyone thinking of flashing a custom rom on their SGS is to stick with one of the latest Froyo roms. (JS8, JPG, JPJ, JPK). DOcs Beta kitchen was made public a few weeks ago and every Joe soap looking to have the latest and greates rom are having troubles with it without having the knowledge to sort it out themselves.

XVJVK ( or Gingerbread) is a beta and will most likely never make a final release. While perfectly usable, it DOES have issues and is a little unstable.

SO for any noobs, stay away from beta roms !

BTW...I use Doc's roms and his ROM Kitchen is awesome. ;)

have you created a rom from the rom kitchen?any tips if i do decide to do it?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    have you created a rom from the rom kitchen?any tips if i do decide to do it?

Ya I've cooked lots of roms. The only tip i can give you is at the moment stick to the public kitchen and read the first page thoroughly. There are very good flashing guides and they need to be read. Step by step instructions are provided.

Im currently running the beta gingerbread Rom and while its a little unstable yet ill stick with it cause i think i have the know how to sort most problems that might come my way.

If i can be of anymore help don't hesitate to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rooney32

hello
    does anybody know if bury have a cradle for the galaxy s.

Advertisement