Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst place in Ireland......

Comments

• rossie1977 wrote:
    Someone has been serving drinks at Seans since 900 AD :eek:

1100 years for a pint, and I'm still waiting to be served!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Terry wrote:
    I'd like to give an honourable mention to Rathcormack in Cork. A big shout out to the owner of the B&B we tried to stay in. You obviously don't like Dublin folk, but please learn to tell the difference between Dublin accents and North Kildare accents. You lost out on three guests who just took their business to nearby Fermoy. After travelling from Leixlip to Rathcormack, Fermoy to Rathcormack wasn't really much of a journey. Fúck you very much.
    Oh yeah, Rathcormack, what a sh*it-heap. And nearby Watergrasshill is horrendous too. Fermoy is nice in parts, ghastly in others. Still rough as f*uck. All of north Cork is horrible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I actually had a good night out in Fermoy. Did a pub crawl up through the town.
    Took it easy the following night, but still thought it was nice enough.
    Then again, I live in Leixlip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Terry wrote:

Leixlip isn't that bad...bomb O-zone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Terry wrote:
    Yeah, parts of Fermoy are really pretty (well, compared to the horror of Mitchelstown). The town centre is well grotty, but what country Irish town centre isn't, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

philstar wrote:
    inbred??:eek:
    Well either that or the burg is plagued by some villainous hooded rogue armed with makeup pencils and hairy glue. I'll let you be the judge. A bit like the pied piper of Hamlyn, except instead of leading all the children away he gives everyone a unibrau.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

rossie1977 wrote:
    i also lived in Athlone for 5 years, yes it is filled with knackers but back when i was a student there it rocked,

I dunno, the few people ive met from there all agree its a dive. lol reminds me of a house party we were at, my mate got chatting to this cute as **** yoke from Athlone (tanned and looked a bit like Cheryl from Girls Aloud, so he was playin it like a mother-effer :D ). When he said he thought Athlone was a great oul town she jokingly told him to stop waffling out of his arse, that its a ****hole and everyone knows it :p (including him, our only notable recollection of Athlone via the train is the halt and some huge old factory or whathaveyou that looks derelict, utter kip)
    Terry wrote:
    Ballyfermot isn't that bad. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.
    On the other hand, Clondalkin is dodgy as fúck.

I dunno, in all my approaching 21 years Ive passed through pretty much every area of Dublin on at least one or two occasions as have my mates, we all agreed we never saw anything like it. One thing that struck me on the bus out was that there wasnt one foreigner on board. Being from Blanch you are used to being the minority on the 38 and 39 due to the high amt of immigrants here but clearly Ballyer is a place that the newbies see on daft and get the bus out to view the property/area and run away from in fear of their lives. Fair enough we have billions of scobes here but ffs there was a gang of girls down the back aged 11 and 12 smoking and coming up with gems like "I didnt ride him, I rode his brother a few months back but hes pure wafflin" and "Shes pure ****e at fightin, Id bleedin knock her out":confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Clicked on this thread expecting where I live (Bray) to be slaughtered. Not a mention (there will br now of course). Biggest kip in this country has to be Templemore (No, I'm not a Guard). Have been visitng here since the mid 80s and it is EXACTLY THE SAME - and it was dump then!!

Love Galway and Killarney though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Connemara.

Even the cows have a frown on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Shane86 wrote:
    I dunno, in all my approaching 21 years Ive passed through pretty much every area of Dublin on at least one or two occasions as have my mates, we all agreed we never saw anything like it. One thing that struck me on the bus out was that there wasnt one foreigner on board. Being from Blanch you are used to being the minority on the 38 and 39 due to the high amt of immigrants here but clearly Ballyer is a place that the newbies see on daft and get the bus out to view the property/area and run away from in fear of their lives. Fair enough we have billions of scobes here but ffs there was a gang of girls down the back aged 11 and 12 smoking and coming up with gems like "I didnt ride him, I rode his brother a few months back but hes pure wafflin" and "Shes pure ****e at fightin, Id bleedin knock her out"
    Passing through and spending time there are two different things.

I've worked in the dodgiest places in both towns and have to say that Clondalkin is far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Add Saggart to the list, arson on a load of cars at a block of flats there overnight, hardly pleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

have heard that derry is a horrible place alright....

as for worst place in ireland, there are loads of places that you just dont want to be in, no need to say where they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

shane86 wrote:
    I dunno, the few people ive met from there all agree its a dive. lol reminds me of a house party we were at, my mate got chatting to this cute as **** yoke from Athlone (tanned and looked a bit like Cheryl from Girls Aloud, so he was playin it like a mother-effer :D ). When he said he thought Athlone was a great oul town she jokingly told him to stop waffling out of his arse, that its a ****hole and everyone knows it :p (including him, our only notable recollection of Athlone via the train is the halt and some huge old factory or whathaveyou that looks derelict, utter kip)

Its almost natural now for Irish people to call their home town a kip or a sh*thole etc, i do it all the time myself :p

I have since got friendly with loads of people from athlone and from my experience native athlonians think athlone is the worst place on planet earth. I am not saying athlone is fantastic (far from it), one of my friends got badly beaten up by a group of kids with sticks and baseball bats one night, another had the entire downstairs cleared while sleeping, another had the doors kicked in and stuff stolen while we were out celebrating graduation, a girl in my class was attacked another night, every night i saw guys badly beaten up in fights (one guy i was sure was dead as the back of his head belted off the curb).

Mels, Willow Park and the Batteries are nothing short of hellholes imo. I lived close to mels in athlone for over a year :eek: But any night i went out in athlone there was always something on, unlike my home town or any of the towns within 30 miles of it :mad:

Athlone is improving though and has improved vastly since i first moved there in 1998. Elan, Ericsson, Athlone IT and Golden Island shopping centre have brought growth, money and prosperity to the town; there is a looooooooooooooooong way to go but if they can get rid of the scumbags and knackers they might actually be on to something

the huge old factory you mention is probably the old railway station or warehouses close to the old station. The railway line runs past nearly all the really bad areas of athlone, batteries, mels etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

NAVAN..... How come nobody mentioned this dump.

The town keeps bleating on that they want a train station..... it doesn't even have a bus station! It doesn't have a public park...... the roads are full of pot holes and they have a joke of a shopping centre. If my sis (Hi Nead) didn't temporarily live there, I would gladly never set foot in that kip again.... ("only an hour from Dublin" - my a**e):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Jaysus yeah, Navan!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

rossie1977 wrote:
    i lived in Galway city for 2 and half years and imo it has some of the best weather in ireland.

Where did you live before that? The Shetlands?

The south-east has the best weather in Ireland. I thought everyone knew that? I can't count the number of times I've left a rainy Cork, Limerick or Dublin and arrived in a sunny (or at least dry) Waterford.

Galway does have lovely mild Atlantic air though, I'll give you that. You can practically taste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I'd have to go for Borris-on-Ossary most bleak town ever, plus its a stupid name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I'm not from Derry City, I'm from South Derry.

I don't understand how you can call yourself Irish and call it L.....Derry.
    Just because someone says they are Irish doesn't make them a nationalist. Londonderry is the official name of the city and the county. What most people call it or what it should be called doesn't affect what it is currently called. IMHO people can call it Derry (as most people do) or L'derry, just as people can have different opinions on the future of NI.
    Anyways looks like i've got to get a new passport :rolleyes: .....as i'm not Irish.
    You are from Ireland (the island). You are a citizen of Ireland (the Republic). You are probably a British Citizen too if you were born in NI even if you've never had a British passport unless you've officially renounced it.
    Better tell Derry minors not to turn up in Navan, how can they play in an All Ireland Minor Semi-Final Replay.
    Although the term "Ireland" can include or exclude NI, the term "All-Ireland" obviously refers to the whole island.
    I guess Derry City will have to stop playing in the League of Ireland.
    The other option would be to play in the "Irish League", run by the "Irish Football Association", both solely representing NI!

But yes, this topic has really descended into a debate about NI, which is a bit irrelevent!

And yes, I do recognise that the post was written in a sarcastic tone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

fricatus wrote:
    Where did you live before that? The Shetlands?

The south-east has the best weather in Ireland. I thought everyone knew that? I can't count the number of times I've left a rainy Cork, Limerick or Dublin and arrived in a sunny (or at least dry) Waterford.

Galway does have lovely mild Atlantic air though, I'll give you that. You can practically taste it.

ah yes the old "sunny south-east" myth that they sell to gullible tourists ;) along with the loch ness monster, area 51, roswell, the yeti, big foot, chupacabras etc.

It rains less in County dublin than anywhere else in ireland. Sure Wexford/waterford might enjoy an average 1 hour more sunshine than say donegal in a year; but it doesn't make it Sunny. If you want to see sunny go to Yuma in Arizona which has an average of 4,100 hours of sunshine per year. I wonder does Wexford/Waterford manage 100 hours :D

its raining now in Wexford according to the weather and overcast in Galway at present with the sun coming through. I looked back over July and August and Galway had slightly better weather this summer than Wexford......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

eh Clonmel,Tipperary....cant believe nobody said that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

How about Knock

Holiest place in Ireland:rolleyes:

more like "tackiest" place in Ireland, with cheap plastic souvenirs on sale everywhere.

no wonder the Virgin Mary did'nt spend to long there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Dudess wrote:
    Officially, Waterford is a city.

It may be miniscule, but it still meets the criteria.

Americans in New York: African, Hispanic, Jewish, Italian, Irish, Scottish, English, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Korean, German and many, many more...

You know...there's some of us Southerns don't believe any of the New Yorkers are Americans ;)

Not to downplay the troubles, and in fact to show some respect this American has for them, don't forget the American South lost over 220,000 people in the Civil War when the Union attacked us after we clearly stated that we wanted independence peacefully. So many Southerners would prefer to be clearly distinguished from the 'other Americans'. However, unlike the Troubles, in America there is a clear line between the two cultures(the Mason Dixon Line to be sure). Though people travel back and forth, there are those that remember, and those that know and see the difference in mindset, traditions, culture, and politics. These can never be downplayed by simple geographics.

Somehow, sometime, they need to meet in the middle, but it's unlikely - it's been 140 years here. It is said that time heals all wounds, but some wounds last a very very long time.

Wez

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

My name is Michael Cody, im from Dublin, ive just spent a few years in derry it has to be the worst place in ireland because:
    1. The people have the most annoying whinging accent ive ever heard.
    2. The place is looks like its falling down.
    3 There are no decent single women in the place, they are all pregnant by the age of 18 and drawing dole.
    3. The place is extremely zenophobic and narrow minded.
    4. There are no decent bar/clubs.
    5. The place has to be the most divided and sectarian city in Ireland.
    6. The place is full of scumbags.

I could go on and on, but I did meet some good people there, mostly from ther loyalist/ protestant side of the city. Before I went up there I like many from the south rhought that I united Ireland was a good idea now im completely against it, im now of the opinion as kevin myers wrote in the irish Times that a team of JCBS should work 24 hours around the clock and dig a trench aroud the North and let the North float into the atlantic sea!
    I think that Derry people in general lack confidence about their city and have chip on their shoulder about where they are from.
    Anyway rant over anybody got any other similar experiences?

ah ya gotta love the muckers. sure pop over to letterkenny on a saturday night. one thing i always found funny about the derry dolls was that they always looked dressed up (make up and all that) even if they are heading out to the shops or "shaps" for a pint of milk. the derry lads can be complete gob£ites when they come to letterkenny on a saturday night, these jimmys (in fairness not all of them) came round staring fights etc,,, basically sh(t they would not even dream of doing if they were in their towns.

but i suppose as one has already said.. the last 40 years have not helped there confidence.. prob the best thing that happened to the city was derry city fc good run in europe last season. ah some of them can be a dour shower though. ah well no ones perfect

Slow coach wrote:
    Derry is not in Ireland.

what? the island of ireland? really? where is it then, scotland? wales? england? even if you are referring to the political term they are still considered irish or at least northern irish by the english people... but of course not in the same sense as paddy/mick etc. and on the subject of political... derry as we say as oppose to london derry (puke) is a prodimentaly catholic city. anyway sorry for going off the point

Do you have their address?

The nationalist majoritive,
    Londonderry,
    Uk
    :)

Accept the facts!!! If you want to change things, thats great, work away. But you've got to know where you're coming from to know how to get somewhere else (if that makes sense)

easy for you to say when you are not from the area. sorry for going off the point of this thread but tell me this, if they are part of the uk and they are part of the community etc, why did the civil rights marches start (do not even dare refer to the ra or any other form of violence.) these people can alsoo hold irish passports. and if you cared to look when you are on your way into derry from the donegal side, there are no signs saying londonderry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Knock in County Mayo is a god awful place.

Over priced junk shops selling tacky souvinirs. Holy Mary glow-in-the-dark rosary beads made in China, where religion is illegal.

This is topped off with some gob****e roaring through a loudspeaker like something you would find in the third reich.

Mullingar
    The town has grown so much but nothing at all to do in the town. All the shops are closing down and you have to go to Athlone or Tullamore to go shopping for clothes, electrical items etc. To get a decent job you must commute. Nothing to do at the weekends only drink. The town has gotten so rough at night aswell.

On the other hand, moved to Cork a few months ago and I love it. People are extra nice and friendly, just realised how rude people are in Mullingar. Great jobs, shops and lots of things to do other than drink every weekend.

Cork rocks!!!!

and it may get worse for ya with this new shopping centre in athlone.(athlone not up to much either just shops and flats.. a bit bland pitty so much potential in the region) ah the midlands is pretty dull when it comes to nightlife. midlands tri - city me ass.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh my god how can you not just let the stupid, totally pointless and retarded argument about derry and londonderry go? Its cocking ridiculous. We all get what you are mothercocking driving at ok?
    Everyone cocking gets it and nobody is impressed.
    Yeah. The last goddamn 50 years of a history lesson from the most biased sources on the planet. Hey look, its like a Stormont assembly! On the one side, RA lovin morons arguin the toss because big bold UK didnt give back your 6 counties, on the other side yet more pedants surely only in it because you finally get to use your word of the day. We got it 30 years ago. We got it at omagh. Look, whether your imaginary friend transubstiates or consubstantiates, I dont give a cock. and its pointless rambling cock like this infecting public opinion and fora on the internet when it does not deserve any sort of canvas for argument beyond a moronic **** smear on a pub toilet wall. Take it to a forum where someone cares. Take it to a forum where the topic is petty whining.
    OR, revolution, Try and actually listen to each other, to even one sentence before you post back with more cock that we all have to wade through and come up with a reasonable cocking compromise instead of goddamn well using each other as a sounding board for your tedious longsuffering bigotted views of each other. I mean did any of ye even read what anyone else wrote? Or were you all too busy trying to slip in an "800 years, thats why" somewhere in there? Cocking solve it yourselves on PM because I for one am sick of this argumentative ****e you always come up with about a goddamn situation you totally fail to understand in the first place. I just dont get how you dont realise that your pointless flag pitching for your side accompanied by your quaintly idiotic small world views is not ****ing OK anymore.
    You hear that dull knock on the side of your rather hollow skulls? Thats the dull thud of realisation that you have no idea what the cock you are talking about. Now shut your cocking mouth and let the mothercocking thing go. I am just sick to my cocking back teeth of your childish whining about S H I T that nobody else cares about. Its totally off topic, you sound like a bunch of tartly tards and worse, I can actually picture the drunken pub scene in which the lot of ye hammer the cock out of each other until someone cries because their shamrock / union jack tattoo got bled on. The only thing that Ye are displaying from this ****ty, pointless, derivative and off topic argument is that you all have the IQ of a long disembowelled AIDS ridden monkey testicle and I treat your opinions with the same respect as I treat toilet paper after the first wipe.
    cock.
    I retire from AH.

fair enough lad, calm down calm down, some people do seemed bothered about it, albeit wrong thread to do so, but the thread referred to ireland. many would assume that we all would assume the island, but then some moron had to go had kick things off, in an issue that easily starts arguments. people just argued at this, the same as many get angry with people who do not spell correctly.

i am sure not many would care for your attitude on people's iq's.

anyway back to the topic, imo worst areas in ireland: midlands and ballinasloe (roscommon would get my vote but the people there are lovely and great craic) reason = i go for the fact that there is damn all to do bar shop and drink, and pubs are crappy enough. oh yeah bundoran - tacky is not the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dudess wrote:
    I mentioned some bad places yes, but I can reveal the official winner: North-West Cork - Kanturk, Banteer, Boherbue, that general area.

You know, us Duhallow people are really good at nurturing grudges....

Advertisement