Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Nokia phone reboots when entering SIM PIN code - any suggestion?

Options
  • 17-10-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

I have an oldish Nokia phone (Nokia 2310) which I have been using as a spare phone for a while to use with a second simcard when I travel.

It recently started to act strangly: when I turn it on it asks for the PIN (as usual), but as soon as I validate it the phone turns off. It then starts again automatically and asks for the PIN again. So basically it has became unusable ...

I don't think it is an issue with the battery as it does say the battery is full and it can stay on on the PIN entry screen for a long time.

Anyone has a suggestion on what could be wrong with it before I get rid of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How old is the sim card?

Try it in another phone, and see what happens.

Is their a lot of sms stored on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Davy wrote: »
    How old is the sim card?

Try it in another phone, and see what happens.

Is their a lot of sms stored on it?

Thanks. I don't think it is the sim card - it isn't old and it works in other phones. There's no text message or contact stored on it. Have also tried 2 other sims in the Nokia and same issue. There shouldn't be compatibility issues putting a recent sim in an older phone right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Bob24 wrote: »
    Thanks. I don't think it is the sim card - it isn't old and it works in other phones. There's no text message or contact stored on it. Have also tried 2 other sims in the Nokia and same issue. There shouldn't be compatibility issues putting a recent sim in an older phone right?

Their can be yes, as the phone is so old its not 3G compatible which the sim card most likely is since its not old. Usually the phone will power on ok but something that old you wouldn't know.

Might be worth going for something a little newer, sim free and cheap. Nokia 100 or this :> http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1476255.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks a lot - I wasn't sure whereas 3g/4g SIM are all backward compatible.

Having said that I also remember I had an old 6021 in a drawer which I think is only a bit more recent (and not 3g) ... just tried the SIM in that one and it works. So maybe something wrong with the 2310...anyway doesn't matter since its not much money and the authored is working. Just didn't want to get rid of a working phone.

Advertisement