Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ new HD studio?

• 16-01-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Saw this in todays Indo...
    Meanwhile, a new state-of-the-art studio is to be opened by the state broadcaster at the start of March, which plans to have a 9am TV news bulletin.
    It was thrown in at the end of an article about redundancies. Anybody know anything about this?....is it a new ("state of the art") HD studio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Special High resolution paint and lights for the HD Cameras?

There is a lot of nonsense talked about HD. The "electronic infrastructure" and Gallery needs upgraded to allow HD. The studio might need a lick of paint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think 'state of the art' relates to the make-up area. With HD you have to be more careful with the stuff - any splodges and it looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

9am news bulletin on RTÉ Two? I am sure the preschoolers will enjoy that. Unless of course they are about to spring RTÉ One HD on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    9am news bulletin on RTÉ Two? I am sure the preschoolers will enjoy that. Unless of course they are about to spring RTÉ One HD on us.

9am News on RTÉ One/News Now I'd guess. They kids have RTÉjr. According to their submission to the Dept RTÉjr may have its own unique schedule from May this year with RTÉ Two focusing on the 7-15 category in the afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Cush wrote: »
    9am News on RTÉ One/News Now I'd guess. They kids have RTÉjr. According to their submission to the Dept RTÉjr may have its own unique schedule from May this year with RTÉ Two focusing on the 7-15 category in the afternoon.

Didn't RTE launch Saorview last May? Why has it taken a full year for them to notice they could have two schedules for young ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Didn't RTE launch Saorview last May? Why has it taken a full year for them to notice they could have two schedules for young ones?

It's RTÉ. It's taken them half a century to figure out a news bulletin in the morning might actually get some viewers.

9am is pointless though, most people are at school, work or college then. 7am-8am news hour would suffice, although I still think news now should have live current-affairs type stuff all day. Not nessecarily 24/7 live news, but certainly hourly bulletins and not the current setup which repeats never-endingly. I also think they should drop the now from the name if/when this happens.

sdeire wrote: »
    It's RTÉ. It's taken them half a century to figure out a news bulletin in the morning might actually get some viewers.

9am is pointless though, most people are at school, work or college then. 7am-8am news hour would suffice, although I still think news now should have live current-affairs type stuff all day. Not nessecarily 24/7 live news, but certainly hourly bulletins and not the current setup which repeats never-endingly. I also think they should drop the now from the name if/when this happens.

Agreed, but why do they need HD for the 9am news and not for all the other news bulletins?

RTE News Now is an orphan channel - it carries no advertising and therefore has no budget. It could do so much but does so little. For example it could show 'The Week In Politics' ahead of RTE1 as it is recorded on Sunday afternoon. They show excerpts of it on the Six and Nine new bulletins. They could also show OTV when they have nothing better to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Of course the new studio and the reference to a 9am bulletin could be totally unrelated (and knowing the Indo, probably are!)

HD Make up area? :D
    Cinema was up to or past current "HDTV" DTT resolution (1440 x 1080) by about 1928. My eyeballs are superior to HD. I've BEEN in news studios and seen make-up being done.

watty wrote: »
    HD Make up area? :D
    Cinema was up to or past current "HDTV" DTT resolution (1440 x 1080) by about 1928. My eyeballs are superior to HD. I've BEEN in news studios and seen make-up being done.

@Watty: That was a joke.

• Advertisement

Given typical press releases and news reports I'm afraid too believable.

I don't have my humour turned on at the minute. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Article here:

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-clears-way-for-186-redundancies-to-cut-10m-from-pay-bill-2989649.html

Why do people not put up a link to the original article when posting, this isn't your work. (<<< the article was posted in another thread with no link.)

9am News was mentioned for RTÉ News Now and it is only a bulletin. The studio is possible for sport, I imagine for the Euro 2012 and Olympics not for the News.

They should concentrate on Prime Time output.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If anyone seeing the 6.1 now, you would have seen that the camera angle in the RTE News studio is now more close up of Brian and Sharon tonight.

However, if anyone missed it; I will give you a description of what happened; the screen where Brian reads the main story was behind him on the right of the shot. He was in the middle looking into the camera on the left hand side. Sharon was around on the far left or in the middle sitting at the news desk.

It looks likely that the new HD studio will be unveiled on the 9th March I've been told.

The current set for RTE News officially turned 3 years old yesterday.

Any sign of the HD studio?
    It looks likely that the new HD studio will be unveiled on the 9th March I've been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

Do I recall correctly that RTE, spent millions upgrading the intro and studio for 6'one and 9'oclock news for "HD compatibility..." back in 2008 - Then turned RTE two into the hd channel and left rte one in SD?

Fantastic stuff -

Do I recall correctly that RTE, spent millions upgrading the intro and studio for 6'one and 9'oclock news for "HD compatibility..." back in 2008 - Then turned RTE two into the hd channel and left rte one in SD?

Fantastic stuff -

It would cost a huge amount of money to turn RTÉ ONE and TWO in to HD hence the reason that RTÉ did not make RTÉ ONE HD is that the majority of Sports (nearly all) airs on RTÉ Two.

RTÉ One is required by law to go HD at some stage under the 2009 act but they still have to ask for the go ahead of such a station. Fantastic stuff! RED TAPE.

Also I think we discovered that the News Studio is not HD compatible.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ One is required by law to go HD at some stage under the 2009 act but they still have to ask for the go ahead of such a station. Fantastic stuff! RED TAPE.

No such requirement in the Act and no capacity on the current multiplex for it.

No such requirement in the Act and no capacity on the current multiplex for it.

No? It at least provides for RTÉ ONE and TG4 to go HD. Even though red tape still needs to be applied!

The news studio is HD “compatible” only in so far as the LED background, not cameras, vision mixing desk etc. The most appropriate studio to convert to HD would be the sports studio for the Euro finals, Olympics etc. as most HD output at the moment, and the biggest “crowd puller” is sports.

No? It at least provides for RTÉ ONE and TG4 to go HD. Even though red tape still needs to be applied!

Can you quote the relevant section of the Act?

• Advertisement

Can you quote the relevant section of the Act?

I think you quoted it to me.

I think you quoted it to me.

If I did I wouldn't be asking, link to my post?

If I did I wouldn't be asking, link to my post?

Your to blame entirely. Must have been a dream :( No mention of HD from a quick re-glace at the act. :(

Your Post
    The section in the act :(

Your to blame entirely. Must have been a dream :( No mention of HD from a quick re-glace at the act. :(

Your Post
    The section in the act :(

Now that we've sorted that, this is maybe what you were thinking of - Ministerial Consent for new public service broadcast channels and services, condition 3. Of course they are basically recommendations and have no statutory standing. Conditions 1 & 4 have not been implemented to date.
    Conditions attaching to Specific Channels

1. RTÉ Two HD Select channel is required to be carried on the second multiplex;
    2. The knowledge gained from technical trialling of the HD channel will be shared with other broadcasters;
    3. RTÉ should aim to provide for full HD versions of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two as soon as practicable and by mid 2013 at the latest;
    4. The RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel shall be carried on the first multiplex until 1 September 2011 and from 1 September 2011 shall be transferred to the second multiplex;
    5. No advertising is permitted on the RTÉjr or RTÉ News Now channel;
    6. In respect of RTÉjr and RTÉ News Now, RTÉ shall review Phase 2 of these channel proposals on foot of the suggestions set out in the public consultation in order to further enhance the public value of the channels.
    7. RTÉ Plus: Phase 1 only is approved and for a period of 4 years only until February 2014.

Of course they are basically recommendations and have no statutory standing. Conditions 1 & 4 have not been implemented to date.

The BAI have recommended not recommending conditions 1 & 4.

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/20110815_BAIDTTEOI_FINAL.pdf
    there would appear to be sufficient capacity on Multiplex 1 to carry the services currently available during the test period, together with the additional RTÉ services which were recently approved, following the sectoral impact assessment and public value review.

With regard to the proposed services emerging from the expressions of interest process, these are not likely to be in a position to commence operations until near to or beyond analogue switch off in October 2012. In these circumstances, the question of the requirement to introduce the second RTÉ multiplex in 2011 should be considered further by the Minister.

The BAI have recommended not recommending conditions 1 & 4.

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/20110815_BAIDTTEOI_FINAL.pdf

Yes, it has been discussed previously and that seems to be the best plan for now, until additional content becomes available. So no capacity for RTÉ1 HD for the moment.

Yes, it has been discussed previously and that seems to be the best plan for now, until additional content becomes available. So no capacity for RTÉ1 HD for the moment.

Except that when new content does appear people have to re-tune <<<right???

Except that when new content does appear people have to re-tune <<<right???

That appears to depend on the receiver. I've got 2 non Saorview approved Sony TVs, the 4 yr old one pulled in any new channels/testcards automatically when they were testing on the various muxes , the other 2 yr old TV had to be manually retuned to find new services.

Quote:
    Conditions attaching to Specific Channels

1. RTÉ Two HD Select channel is required to be carried on the second multiplex;
    2. The knowledge gained from technical trialling of the HD channel will be shared with other broadcasters;
    3. RTÉ should aim to provide for full HD versions of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two as soon as practicable and by mid 2013 at the latest;
    4. The RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel shall be carried on the first multiplex until 1 September 2011 and from 1 September 2011 shall be transferred to the second multiplex;
    5. No advertising is permitted on the RTÉjr or RTÉ News Now channel;
    6. In respect of RTÉjr and RTÉ News Now, RTÉ shall review Phase 2 of these channel proposals on foot of the suggestions set out in the public consultation in order to further enhance the public value of the channels.
    7. RTÉ Plus: Phase 1 only is approved and for a period of 4 years only until February 2014.

Having dropped conditions 1 and 4, they should drop conditions 5 (for RTE NN) and 7. They should also require that RTE1+1 is not a sepeerate broadcast so that the likes of Fair City is not forced to be a blank screen.

• Advertisement

Are the sports studios now in HD?

Advertisement