Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

walshb wrote: »
    Point 4 is the real one that stands out for me. Floyd has always been the naturally bigger guy. It is a point I have made before. He is the man most suited to WW of the two. Also, he is the unbeaten one, the one claiming to be king.

Of the two I would be confident in saying that Manny is the one who has mostly fought "all comers." Floyd is mostly the one who has been a wee bit selective.

The more I think of it the more I feel that Floyd "fears" Manny's style. If Floyd really was confident, he'd fight Manny in an instant and make a heap of cash. He didn't at all hesitate to get in with Hatton, a bigger fighter than Manny. Manny does not fear losing near as much as Floyd. This is what is holding back the fight, not greed. Nobody can be that greedy.

This is and interesting and perhaps a very fair point. In my mind I have Mayweather winning this fight but you could well be on to something here. Walsh, if PBF beats Pac Man in '12 or '13, surely though, even if the fight is a bit late, and especially with Pac Man being the younger fighter, Mayweather will have the legacy (or close to) he desires. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

The one thing about this fight is it puts a very final nail in at least one of their careers, the way Mayweather boxes and takes care of himself he could arguably fight for another year or two and still outclass what's coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

minty16 wrote: »
    This is and interesting and perhaps a very fair point. In my mind I have Mayweather winning this fight but you could well be on to something here. Walsh, if PBF beats Pac Man in '12 or '13, surely though, even if the fight is a bit late, and especially with Pac Man being the younger fighter, Mayweather will have the legacy (or close to) he desires. What do you think?

Pac being the younger fighter is clutching I feel. Pac has been in more tough fights than Floyd. Also, the fight is old now, and will IMO be a nothing as regards legacy should it happen in 2013 or 2014. Not exactly Jones-Hopkins II, but still a nothing. And, Floyd is easily the more natural WW now, in 2013 or 2014 Floyd may not even make WW, forcing Pac to meet at an even higher weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

minty16 wrote: »
    Walsh, if PBF beats Pac Man in '12 or '13, surely though, even if the fight is a bit late, and especially with Pac Man being the younger fighter, Mayweather will have the legacy (or close to) he desires. What do you think?

Pac appears to be deteriorating faster and he is more reliant on his speed. The fight doesn't really mean a whole lot now but will mean even less for either man in a years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I wonder who is the most to blame for the fight not happening: Mayweather or Arum?

Mayweather told Pacquiao on the phone that he won't get a 50-50. FFS that's a disgrace. Then again would Arum ever leave Pacman fight Floyd if everything did pan out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I wonder who is the most to blame for the fight not happening: Mayweather or Arum?

Mayweather told Pacquiao on the phone that he won't get a 50-50. FFS that's a disgrace. Then again would Arum ever leave Pacman fight Floyd if everything did pan out?

He would if Manny was cashing out after that fight... win or lose that'd still be a final paycheck for Arum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

Manny and floyd both have serious fights coming up

It's not impossible one or both could lose

If that happens then this fight is no longer half as appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

I don't think it will happen , it would have been much more of an event two to three years ago!

sxt wrote: »
    I don't think it will happen , it would have been much more of an event two to three years ago!

I agree. If we have to wait till 2013, when Pacquiao is 34 (a slugger) and Mayweather is 36, it is even less appetizing.

It we have to wait until 2014, (when Arum would want to make one last big paycheck outta Manny) it might as well not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Pacquaio has done an interview with the Ring mag and says he wants to fight 2 or 3 more times after Bradley which surprised me. He says he's hoping to fight Mayweather in November, think alot depends on how their respective fights go.

• Advertisement

Dont know if it will happen but if it does the build up will be massive.
    Would love to see it happen but Pacquiao could be president before it happens

Just read an interview with Mayweather and because he promotes himself he said his deal is that he keeps all the money from the pay per view revenue. When asked if he would be willing to split this revenue for a mega fight with Pacquiao he answered "absolutly not".
    Pacquiao and his management will never agree to these terms so this fight will never take place. Wish fighters were warriors again, oh the good old days!

Just read an interview with Mayweather and because he promotes himself he said his deal is that he keeps all the money from the pay per view revenue. When asked if he would be willing to split this revenue for a mega fight with Pacquiao he answered "absolutly not".
    Pacquiao and his management will never agree to these terms so this fight will never take place. Wish fighters were warriors again, oh the good old days!

Exactly. In the 80's we saw Duran, Leonard, Hagler and Hearns all fight each other (Leonard-Hearns twice, same with Leonard-Duran) yet we can't see Mayweather-Pacquiao happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Going beyond the game of blaming one side or the other, why do people think that a fight like this doesn't get made?

Is it a cultural change wherein big names can get away with not fighting the best out there, whereas once they would have been shamed for it?

Or is it simply the case that Mayweather and Pacquiao are such successful uniquely marketing stories that they have built up earning power which makes such risks unnecessary?

the closer we get to pac v bradley and floyd v cotto the more i'm excited i'm getting

both are fairly good matches and hopefully there is a surprise in at least one of them. would love to see floyd put down and them come back to win.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Going beyond the game of blaming one side or the other, why do people think that a fight like this doesn't get made?

Is it a cultural change wherein big names can get away with not fighting the best out there, whereas once they would have been shamed for it?

Or is it simply the case that Mayweather and Pacquiao are such successful uniquely marketing stories that they have built up earning power which makes such risks unnecessary?

There are 17 weight classes with four governing bodies i.e 68 "world champions", management and marketing want to maximise the money. Protecting your fighter at all costs seems to be the mantra, years ago a loss wasnt considered the end of a career. Pride, Bravery and integrety are long forgotten notions in top level boxing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Henno30 wrote: »

Mayweather is not willing to put up his perfect record up against his number one challenger , he puts out every demand etc to try and not make the fight happen.

Pacquiao , this week, has offered a 70 – 30 split with 70% going to the winner . If Mayweather refuses this undisputable fair and golden offer ... he should just retire , in my opinion and be gone with

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/03/can-mayweather-really-turn-down-70-30-split-offer-from-manny/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

sxt wrote: »
    Mayweather is not willing to put up his perfect record up against his number one challenger , he puts out every demand etc to try and not make the fight happen.

Pacquiao , this week, has offered a 70 – 30 split with 70% going to the winner . If Mayweather refuses this undisputable fair and golden offer ... he should just retire , in my opinion and be gone with

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/03/can-mayweather-really-turn-down-70-30-split-offer-from-manny/
    Hopefully he will aceept it, fair deal.

Can't wait to hear the PBF fans defend this. I am a fan of neither. I enjoy both men in that ring, and I will call this completely unbiased. If PBF stalls here, then if that is not a clear sign that really he never wanted the fight, then I don't know what is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

3 years ago I could understand mayweather thinking he could lose, I don't understand how he would think he could lose now after seeing pac in his last few fights, unless he knows that he has also declined a lot since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

6a00d83451d24369e2014e864fbc0f970d-250wi Pacquiao V Mayweather

trevorking_wideweb__470x321,0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »
    Can't wait to hear the PBF fans defend this. I am a fan of neither. I enjoy both men in that ring, and I will call this completely unbiased. If PBF stalls here, then if that is not a clear sign that really he never wanted the fight, then I don't know what is.

It's a ridicoulous offer, PBF is his own promoter and always get's massive money when he fights, Arum makes all the money from Pacquoia and no way PBF is going to give this deal even a consideretion, Only a few months ago Manny claimed he'd take less pay to make the fight, then he gets offered his best pay by far to make it happen may 5th and he/they turned it down.

Manny is controlled by Arum, And Arum wants no part of this fight till he milks his cash cow to the end, Even the 30% would be beyond Manny's best ever earner.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

cowzerp wrote: »
    Manny is controlled by Arum, And Arum wants no part of this fight till he milks his cash cow to the end, Even the 30% would be beyond Manny's best ever earner.

50/50 would be Mayweathers best ever earner and he's far from interested in that. Manny is offering him 70% of the revenue generated, Arum only takes a cut of Mannys slice so I can't see how anyone can justify him not taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

colly10 wrote: »
    50/50 would be Mayweathers best ever earner and he's far from interested in that. Manny is offering him 70% of the revenue generated, Arum only takes a cut of Mannys slice so I can't see how anyone can justify him not taking it.

When De la Hoya fought mayweather he as the promoter made most the money, why should this be any different, manny is basically coming off a loss and is damaged goods also right now.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Manny has offered Floyd the lions share, a pay day bigger than he has ever received. Paul, I know you like both, but I feel you are not being unbiased. Maybe a recent dislike to Manny and Arum and his match making? Fair enough, but facts are that BOTH men are massive boxing stars, and 70-30 is ridiculously generous to one of them.

So, why is it that you seem to fall very short with criticism towards Floyd in this affair? Ok, you have criticised Manny and Arum, and justified Floyd's refusal to accept 50-50, and now you are justifying this latest stall from Floyd.

And saying stuff like "manny is basically coming off a loss and is damaged goods also right now," doesn't come close to justifying Floyd. The man never wanted this fight, for reasons only he knows, so let's forget making "financial" excuses, this has nothing to do with finances. The amount of cash Floyd stands to earn makes it absurd to believe that finances is stalling him.

Manny could do the fight for free and you can bet Floyd would throw in an obstacle.

Can I ask what blame, if any, do you place on Floyd for this fight not happening?

One can spin it and dry it and cut and dice it, but below is what it boils down to, and very difficult to look past

"It is also a cold hard fact that Floyd would earn far more money with Manny in the opposite corner of the ring than anybody else he fights. Mayweather’s reasoning for not fighting Pacquiao just does not hold up to scrutiny."

Freddie Roach once said that Floyd would only fight Pacquiao if he got all the money, the fight took place in Floyds sitting room and his uncles were the judges, this seems to be ringing true.
    A couple of years ago when Floyd was insisting on olympic blood testing his slogan was "prove your the best and take the test". At the moment Pacquiao is still no.1 pound for pound and has conceded ground in negotiations to make the fight, so whos turn is it to prove they are the best?

I read this months issue of The Ring and the ex HBO president said it isn't anything in the end to do with the promoters or managers.

The fighters are the ones who fight the issue said, they only fight if they want to, only them, they can't be forced to. The ex-president said if both fighters said to their promoters "Make this fight now!", if they reallly wanted to, the fight would happen straight away.

^^That is from the issue anyway, none of the above are my own words.

70% to the winner would make it even more exciting. Will never happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Lost interest in this match ages ago its not going to happen

Advertisement