Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ACL surgery

Options
  • 07-07-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hey people,just looking for information,views and opinions on a problem of mine.i've been diagnosed as having a torn cruciate(ACL) and will need an op to sort it out. I was told id be waiting 1yr to 18months for public. I'm considering going private and possibly abroad or to the north. any info on prices or recommendations would be great.im living in cork,thanks:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056315885

Who mri'ed/diagnosed it?
    What does it feel like now and what can/cant you do?

As is this thread will prob be locked, so maybe reword it to avoid looking like asking for med advice

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭spence101

Sorry to hear about the ACL, I got mine done private, luckily my football club had insurance, the price of the op was around 3000 euros if I remember.

That was 2005 with Ray Moran in Cappagh hospital (Dublin).

If your stuck and have to go public there is an awful lot of exercises that can be done with a torn ACL, although I couldn't play competitive sports, believe me I tried!, I could do alot of strengh exercise, running, swimming etc. But its frustrating when you feel fine but your knee can collapse at any turn or stop.

Keep your quads in tip top shape, they wont operate otherwise and it helps the recovery post op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shero30

mri'd in the CUH and it showed a complete tear DR. Nic! have been to to physio and will be starting to build up the muscles-taking things slowly tho.if i thought i could get the op done for close to 3000 i'd consider it and am waiting for a reply from a guy who went abroad for a successful op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Im with the surgeon on Tues so i'll let you know then.
    No idea of the price, but you can ring blackrock clinic.
    They usually tell you the price up front, even though they're expensive

Crucial that you're working your leg as much as you can. The surgeon is going to probably strip a piece off your hamstring or patella to replace the torn acl. If neither is in good working order then they might not operate, or else recovery time will be far longer.

Id advise you read that that fitness log

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Got mine done in Shanakiel hospital in Sundays well in April, 2 weeks after I wrecked it in a GAA match. Dr Bowler was the surgeon. Got right knee done 9 years after doing left knee. No complications thus far. On bike and cross trainer for last month. Cost 4600 euro got it done privately and reimbursed by my club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ingodwetrust

Hey Guys,

Just a quick one for you experts out there.

I am booked in for acl reconstruction next Tuesday and am wondering how anyone whom has had this surgery have recovered.

I am getting a patella graft on my right knee.

I play high level sports including soccer, gaa football and hurling.

I really just want to know what the level is like when you return to sport, I know alot depends on the person and the rehab which I will have no problem focusing on!!!

Any advice on nutrition also would be great and advice in general, really appreciate all your comments.

Stay classy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

normal return time to spors is around 6 months, you can get back to where you were before if there are no complications.

I was back after 5 months but it took a while to build up full confidence in the knee (felt wobbly). It's been grand for years now and supposedly they are stronger than original cruciates after they are done.

Get a good physio and do all the rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Had the hamstring graft done in May 2010, absolutely no problems with it since, as already mentioned just keep on top of the rehab.

It's a 6-9 month rehab period. I was too eager to get back on the 6 month mark that I ended up damaging some medial ligaments which resulted in scar tissue around the knee and general instability. So Rehab Rehab Rehab!! Do it to the letter and don't skip ahead any steps the physio tells you, you'll just lead to more heartbreak and frustration!

I eventually got back and played at a high level, but the instability led to me favouring the opposite joint to turn and take most of my weight and thus developed tendonitis in my "good" knee.

Also, something I was not prepared for was going from a high intensity training schedule to zero training and not adjusting your diet accordingly will make you pile on the pounds, this happened to me as I was still eating as if I was training 6 days a week and this leads to you fighting 2 battles when you getting back to fitness. Find your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE), use an online calculator, and stick to that amount of calories.

As for nutrition, the main thing you need to build muscle is protein, roughly you need 1 gram per kg of your lean mass (Total weight - %of body fat. So if you were 100kg, 20% bodyfat, you're lean mass would be 80kg, thus you'd need 80 grams of protein per day). Protein mainly comes from meat, fish, nuts. Myfitnesspal is great for finding out how much protein and calories are in something.

Best of luck pal! Keep to the rehab, don't skip forward steps as tempting as it can be and you should be back in action after 6 months with no problems!

Hi again,

Just filling everyone in on my op.
    So I am now 14 days post op and have to say i feel great.
    Still a bit of stiffness when bending but can straighten leg and bear weight no problem.
    Was off crutches after 5 days so all is going well, once I dont get carried away and push to hard.
    I have had a few physio sessions and they are happy with the progress Ice and elevate is key!!
    Basically had the op on a Tuesday in SSC, stayed in overnight 0 pain, knee was all numb (still is on outside!) went home , first night home was difficult to sleep, a bit a pain etc.
    Have not looked back since, absolutely flying.
    Meeting surgeon tomorrow to remove stiches then let the pool rehab begin!!
    Anyway from my own point of view I had no pain and would not fear this op again its just the rehab is the long part!!
    Will keep you ACL heads posted!!

• Advertisement

That's great man, glad it went well. You will more than likely be left with a patch on the outside part of your shin below your knee that you will never have feeling in, it's hardly noticeable after a while and is only sort of a 3 by 3 inch patch.

The surgery sounds like it was successful so it's up to you to get the joint strong again. Don't skip ahead in your rehab no matter how tempting......it just leads to scar tissue forming around the joint and more problems (trust me!!)

Your knee will feel deceptively strong after a few months and it will be grand for walking and running in straight lines but the force and energy the knee absorbs when stopping suddenly or quickly turning direction is enormous and shouldn't be underestimated. Pool is great though, low joint impact and a really trying work out.

Keep it up the rehab pal, in 6 months the knee will be back to full strength and you can return to full fitness!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

Hey everyone!I know it's yeeeears from the thread but I've just come across it! I need an acl reconstruction if I want to play soccer again. Im 23 and im devastated! I've just had my meniscus fixed last week and hoping to get the reconstruction done too if my club's insurance will cover it.

Assuming they do, the next thing for me is to decide when to get it done. This is where I'm looking for advice. I can't take any more time off work and my next time off is 2 weeks in april. After that my next time off would be the months of july and August.

I've been told it can be 9 to 12 months before im back playing so obviously id rather have it in april as id then be back sooner than if I have it in July. But is two weeks off enough time to then return to work. I know the nature of work is a factor so I am a montessori teacher. Any advice/persona stories appreciated. Thanks. oh also my surgeon is shea o flanagan anyone any correspondence with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

Sorry must state im not looking for medical advice. Im looking for other peoples stories ie how long they were off and their nature of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

i was back at work in less than 2 weeks after mine so should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Had my last acl on a friday and was in work on wednesday.

I sit on a chair all day though.

11amie11, I'll fill you in on my op;

I had patella tendon graft on right knee done in SSC on 21/01/2014.
    I had meniscus repair on 21/12/2013, had a month to build muscle for acl recon op.
    So I stayed in for one night, no pain, knee completely numb, felt good. Was discharged next day and went home to rest. I was on crutches for 4-5 days and started to get off them, its better so my muscles in the leg would not die completely.
    I was off work until the following Tuesday, 1 week, but I stayed in the office for probably a month after that.

Week 2: Gym, pool mainly stretching and upper body, no leg work, was still a bit unstable on knee and was very careful.

Week 3: Gym, bit of leg work, a lot more movement bend and straightening. Physio had look, very happy full ROM etc.

Week 4-6: Gym, Minimal swelling, started stationary bike low resistance, pool walking etc. Had electric treatment on knee to get rid of swelling. Bit of pain occasionally.

Week 7-8: A lot more leg work, glute and hip work. Squats, single leg squats, lunges etc. Slight pain developing in hip on side of injured leg. working on balance, very poor!!

Week 9: Leg work, stretching, hip and glute activation, road bike, slow jogging on road, not too much as knee feels it alot more. Physio appointment, working on single leg stance on bosu ball. Started to jump from height landing and sitting into land so as not to put pressure on knee more so on bum area.
    Very happy with progress. Slight/constant pain now and again on knee depending on the daily activities.

Week 10: Current week, feel great, leg muscle still not the same, trying to get there. Have 2 D Iso Testing on week 12 with physio, this will help guide on rehab.
    Hopefully all will be ok, I am not going to be back playing hurling or football until at least month 9 and even at that I will be careful, no competitive games but I will begin training and constantly looking after and working on knee.

It is slow but it is not as bad as expected provided It never happens again!! I am trying to develop other areas of my game now in terms of upper body strength and conditioning. Can't wait to kick a ball again, will try and develop left leg(bad side) kicking.

Other than that guys, I feel good, always conscious of the knee and careful, but getting stronger and stronger day by day, doing alot of cycling which is ok.

Will keep you guys in the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

I know this is an old thread but did a complete tear of my ACL last week, did it during a mess- about game, innocuous enough felt the knee go and that horrible pop. Extremely annoying as it there was nothing unusual about my body movement, studs just caught in the soil. Anyway have to pick a surgeon to go with by next week... everyone I know that has had it done was with either - Murray Galway Clinic or Moran Santry Sports Clinic.

I'm hoping to have the surgery by the end of August or early September?

Based in Sligo. Can anyone recommend anything in regards to the procedure?

Namely I'm interested in hearing experiences with the hamstring graft vs the patellar graft

Thank in advance for any help

G

gtansey44 wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but did a complete tear of my ACL last week, did it during a mess- about game, innocuous enough felt the knee go and that horrible pop. Extremely annoying as it there was nothing unusual about my body movement, studs just caught in the soil. Anyway have to pick a surgeon to go with by next week... everyone I know that has had it done was with either - Murray Galway Clinic or Moran Santry Sports Clinic.

I'm hoping to have the surgery by the end of August or early September?

Based in Sligo. Can anyone recommend anything in regards to the procedure?

Namely I'm interested in hearing experiences with the hamstring graft vs the patellar graft

Thank in advance for any help

G

First of all, sorry to hear that you tore your acl i wouldnt wish it on anyone.

My experiences regarding surgeons and graphs are as follows,

All have occurred on my left knee.

Murray did my first one with my left hamstring graph,
    I subsequently tore this one 7 months post op.

Back in for surgery with Murray after reassurances following consultations etc..
    This revision was done with my right hamstring graph.
    This lasted 4 years but in these four years i had constant pain and swelling and several MRI scans to determine if it was torn again, had bone bruising and the knee felt unstable a lot of the time.

I had a complete rupture in the end.

I then went up to the sports clinic in Santry and met with Niall Hogan after being recommend to him by my physio.

He used the patella in my left knee.
    I am a year and a half post op and my knee feels the best it has in years.

I have not returned to playing soccer, but i had decided this before my last surgery, due to not being able to have another OP if it was to tear again.

The only thing about the patella graph is i have a slight numb feeling on my knee when i am kneeling but that doesnt bother me.

I would have gotten a patella graph from day one, had i known what i would have ended up going through.

Hope this of help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Many thanks for your reply.

I do not have health insurance and as it happened outside of club activity I am left to foot the bill. 3500 seems to be the recurring figure...?

Fortunately I had some money set aside for different reasons but needs must.

In the meantime I have consulted with a physio who advocated the patellar graft and an 12-18 month rehab program. At 26 I don't think that is too bad. Everyone else told me 6 months which I thought was ambitious and as you said the thoughts of going through this again is the worst bit.

So I will be getting a referral to Ray Moran tomorrow and hope the waiting list isn't too long.

Thanks again,

G

Many thanks for your reply.

I do not have health insurance and as it happened outside of club activity I am left to foot the bill. 3500 seems to be the recurring figure...?

Fortunately I had some money set aside for different reasons but needs must.

In the meantime I have consulted with a physio who advocated the patellar graft and an 12-18 month rehab program. At 26 I don't think that is too bad. Everyone else told me 6 months which I thought was ambitious and as you said the thoughts of going through this again is the worst bit.

So I will be getting a referral to Ray Moran tomorrow and hope the waiting list isn't too long.

Thanks again,

G

Unless you are a professional soccer player etc.. who gets one to one sessions every day, 6 months in my opinion is too soon.

Age wise, for the operations were; 19, 20 and 28

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

In the meantime I have consulted with a physio who advocated the patellar graft and an 12-18 month rehab program.

That sounds very long, unless there are complications 6months is the normal recovery time to get back playing. I made it back in 5 months with a patella tendon graft

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhan.bourke

Hi,

I'm after rupturing my ACL also, can anyone recommend someone who works out of Santry sports clinic and a public hospital, its just my personal insurance will only cover the surgery from a public hospital. Iv been looking at going to Michael Donnelly if anyone has heard anything about him? He also works out of Cappagh Orthopaedic Hospital.

Many Thanks,
    Siobhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

Hi,

I'm after rupturing my ACL also, can anyone recommend someone who works out of Santry sports clinic and a public hospital, its just my personal insurance will only cover the surgery from a public hospital. Iv been looking at going to Michael Donnelly if anyone has heard anything about him? He also works out of Cappagh Orthopaedic Hospital.

Many Thanks,
    Siobhan.

Michael Donnelly was my surgeon when I had my acl repaired last September. He did a great job on mine. Knee is better then ever, very stable. Im back running with a long time now. No hiccups at all during recovery. Nice guy too. It was a hamstring graft I got done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhan.bourke

Thanks a million, its great to hear you found him good, think i going to go with him. Really just needed some reassurance. Will put my mind at ease at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hi,

Many Thanks,
    Siobhan.

I was in the same boat with my VHI cover. Nial Hogan also works out of Cappagh. I was waiting about 8 months though. My op is scheduled for next week.

I was able to do loads in training and the gym over the last 8 months though so it certainly was not time wasted.

Hi,

Many Thanks,
    Siobhan.

Sorry to hear about your injury Siobhan,

As above i used Niall Hogan for my last ACL, (see my above post)
    He has a private practice in Santry, and works in Cappagh hospital also.
    He would come highly recommended from my experiences.

Hi All,

Quick update, coming up to the 10month post acl mark now.

Have done a few 3D Iso tests in mean time. Operated leg (Right ) is still significantly weaker than my left so lots of muscle building work left to do.

Regarding my knee, feels ok, painful after running, jogging, twisting and turning. Still heat and ice it. Prob have to do this alot going forward.

I have noticed my hip is a bit "niggley" now on operated side and requires alot of stretching to the glutes.

Still have not got back into contact GAA, just going to be patient and wait till next year at this stage.

All in all, I feel good, cannot give Ray and the physio team in SSC enough credit. They really have all the right equipment for you. I appreciate there is a cost but if you are eager to get back to your best they will certainly put you on the road.

The whole ACL experience has made me appreciate alot more such as , foam rolling, stretching, yoga, PROPER WARM-UPS!, etc. and just looking after your body.

Injury prevention is the key.

Best a luck all you pre-op guys, commit, focus, believe, achieve!!! #JMG #HERO

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

looking for advice/input please,i had complete tear of acl,maybe 2 years ago,happened playing 5 a side,was advised that at my age,36,at the time,a lot of physio and no operation unless knee buckled would be best as I wasn't 20 and playing sports at a high level,and there should be no reason why I couldn't play 5 a side again.
    Anyway,fast forward to present day,6 months ago I started excercising regularly,boxing,squats,mountain climbers, burpees,that type of thing,sidewards movement of my knee gets painful on and off and needs to be rested quite often,squats etc can also play havoc and I find myself leaning more on good knee when doing them.i know the pain with the sideward movement is acl related by the type of pain it brings,but think the normal pain is muscles around the knee,compensating and under more pressure,and im fine with that,anyway my questions; am I at risk of knee "buckling" and operation the only option? should I maybe have had the operation? can I do more damage as acl is gone anyway? im really enjoying and benefitting from the training but don't want to do irreversible damage,also kickboxing is part of training but I stick to the boxing but would like to start but not sure how knee would react.
    apologies for length of thread! was trying to get in all info,thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9 123moose

Hi everyone,

Sorry to open up the forum again but was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions! I'm about a week post op from my acl surgery and I haven't seen any real improvement yet. The swelling has come down a bit but in terms of bruising, pain and being able to walk, I'm still pretty much the same as when I left the hospital. I've done all the exercises, have pretty much elevated my leg for a week and iced it. Has anyone else experienced a much slower recovery? Just from reading other people's stories everyone seems to see a real improvement after the first week and I'm getting a bit worried! Just to note I only found out after the surgery that I also had some cartilage damage which was also repaired during surgery, as anyone else had this along with there acl? As I'm presuming this may be the reason why it is a lot slower for me!

Thanks everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 redzer_irl

Hi 123moose, I am just coming up on 6 months post-op after my 2nd ACL reconstruction (did my right leg in 2005). One of the biggest changes I noticed in the post-op physio is early mobilisation. I tried to get out of bed every few hours and walk up and down the stairs and around the house. I think this definitely helped with the early phase of my rehab. However, my first ACL reconstruction involved some cartilage clean-up also so this probably slowed my recovery on that occasion.

Another thing which I could not have done without is the CryoCuff. It allowed me to ice my knee almost constantly for the first two weeks without fear of damaging the skin around my knee. I would look into getting one if you don't have it already. I am still using mine after gym sessions/running at 6 months.

Have you a physio appointment coming up next week? They should be able to give you some guidance on how your recovery is progressing. It's a long road but hopefully you will be seeing some improvements soon.

Advertisement