Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marry a non - EU citizen in İreland

• 26-03-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi.
    İm EU citizen, currently living in İreland,Dublin.İ am a student and i am working here as well for 1 year now.For 3 years İ am in relationship with Turkish citizen,so non-EU citizen who need visa to come to İreland.He have never been in İreland and previous 2 years out of 3 i have lived in Turkey with him and now we decided to get married and live in İreland.Would it be more beneficial for us to get married in İreland or in his country?What is the procedure to get married here and what we need to do so he can stay here with me and work in state.?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

The European Court of Justice ruled in the case of Metock that
    a married couple, irrespective of when can reside with that citizen in the European Union without having previously been resident in another Member State.

However States may still refuse entry and
    residence to any citizen on the grounds of public policy, public security or
    public health, provided the refusal is based on an individual examination of
    the particular case. Member States may also refuse, terminate or withdraw
    the right of entry and residence in the case of abuse of rights or fraud,
    such as marriages of convenience.

id get married in Turkey if i were you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

roze79 wrote: »
    Hi.
    İm EU citizen, currently living in İreland,Dublin.İ am a student and i am working here as well for 1 year now.For 3 years İ am in relationship with Turkish citizen,so non-EU citizen who need visa to come to İreland.He have never been in İreland and previous 2 years out of 3 i have lived in Turkey with him and now we decided to get married and live in İreland.Would it be more beneficial for us to get married in İreland or in his country?What is the procedure to get married here and what we need to do so he can stay here with me and work in state.?

thank you

You need to give three months notice to the Registrar of Marriages of your marriage. I imagine if you got your boyfriend over here on the basis of a visit visa and got married as soon as possible after that you'd be alright.

You can apply for EU Treaty rights for him as spouse of an EU National immediately after the marriage. It'll go through quite quickly presuming you provide the appropriate documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

EU Case law gives guidelines as to the circumstances that are appropriate to invoke the public policy/health/security derogations. These derogations are rarely invoked. Re the mariage of convenience thing, the marraige cannot be prevented in this State on the grounds that the Gardaí feel it's a marriage of convenience. As you say, the rights of the Turkish citizen to reside in this state will be revoked if it is deemed a marriage of convenience after the fact. However, you should be fine as you lived in Turkey for two years. Make sure when applying that you document this.

Advertisement