Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'll start be declaring an interest - I'm a member of L&B Golf Club.

The club has recently changed caterers and the new guy is excellent. Some nice takes on what might be considered 'clubhouse classics' - for example, the burger is a quality steak mince on a good chunky, artisan-type bap with thrice-fried chips - the 'mixed grill' is a generous gourmet sausage, a pork chop and a few other bits and pieces and the club sandwich has sweet peppers and what can only be described as 'micro-tomatoes' along with the bacon and chicken.

Last week I had a lovely piece of grilled hake on a pea risotto with micro-herbs - it was gorgeous. The fish was grilled to perfection and the risotto had a lovely creamy texture, without being mushy.

The new chef is one of my best mates, great to hear this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

thorbarry wrote: »
    Anybody try the new place where WM Cairns used to be?

Went to The Hops for lunch today. We both had beef and chorizo burgers with chips. The food was nice, our only (small) complaint was the waiting time. 30 minutes from ordering for it to get to our table. I thought that was a bit long for burgers and chips when it wasn't overly busy. We weren't in any rush but that's not going to be the same for everyone. Some of the other food passing by for other tables smelled lovely, particularly the stir fry and the curry.

I think the new look is great too and I don't think it's as cramped as it used to be, although I'll wait until I'm in on a busy weekend night to say for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Kanoodle now open, haven't tried it yet.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

has anyone tried the fish place on laurences street? Hoping to go the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Was in Antica Toscana last weekend. It was savage. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I know it's not strictly in Drogheda but I was over at the Triple House in Termonfeckin a couple of weeks ago.

Jesus, the food was exceptional.

I'd never been before and when we arrived I thought oh dear God what have I booked...I thought it was going to be like something out of Fawlty Towers.

However it really was fab.

God knows how he's making a profit at only €20 a head...that was for 3 courses plus tea and coffee, which could be an Irish if you wish.

Can't wait to go again, mouth is watering just thinking of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

Anybody been to Il Postre - the new Italian in the D hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭enricoh

Not exactly drogheda but not a million mile away, big up for hunterstown inn on the collon to ardee road. Big portions of top class food thats very reasonable. Carvery to 3 or 4 on sundays , off the menus after that. Been 10 times haven't been disappointed yet, its a record!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Was in Antica Toscana last weekend. It was savage. That is all.

Been there a few times, cant complain. Lovely pizza and pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

thorbarry wrote: »
    Been there a few times, cant complain. Lovely pizza and pasta

The bruschetta was exquisite (not a word I use every day!)

• Advertisement

Beef kofta in Kings on special, gorgeous , only 8.50 as well, if this was 16e in esb people wouldn't bat an eyelid and be delighted with it! Goujons(the real ones) and homemade fries for the kid, 5e. Fruit popsicles with popping candy and choc dips for desert, I'm deffo a kings fan boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Beef kofta in Kings on special, gorgeous , only 8.50 as well, if this was 16e in esb people wouldn't bat an eyelid and be delighted with it! Goujons(the real ones) and homemade fries for the kid, 5e. Fruit popsicles with popping candy and choc dips for desert, I'm deffo a kings fan boy

Wheres kings?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

When does Kanoodle open & also would be interested to hear about the new seafood bar too!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

When does Kanoodle open & also would be interested to hear about the new seafood bar too!

Kanoodle is open already. Tried a takeaway from it last night and it was very good. Bangkok duck was delicious.

Looking forward to trying the seafood place myself. Anyone know if they are open in the evenings yet?

blingrhino wrote: »
    IvoryTower wrote: »

Wheres kings?

Stockwell street, beside the old supervalue, I think a place called chilli's was there before it, not sure on that name

zac8 wrote: »
    Kanoodle is open already. Tried a takeaway from it last night and it was very good. Bangkok duck was delicious.

Looking forward to trying the seafood place myself. Anyone know if they are open in the evenings yet?

Thanks a million! Just noticed the website now. Handy to have the calorie content too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Any thoughts on what is your favourite restaurant in Drogheda?
    Daytime, mine would definitely be Simona's.
    Nightime, gotta be D'Vine plus an honourary mention for the pizzeria in Clogherhead.
    Curious to try Aisha's, West 29, Annie's, The D hotel's new restaurants and Kirwan's fish restaurant but haven't been to any of them...yet.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

furiousox wrote: »
    Nightime, gotta be D'Vine plus an honourary mention for the pizzeria in Clogherhead.
    Curious to try Aisha's, West 29, Annie's, The D hotel's new restaurants and Kirwan's fish restaurant but haven't been to any of them...yet.

Got a bad dose of food poisoning in D'Vine and havent returned management were not to nice about it,. La Pizzeria Clogherhead has to be the best freshest food about the taste is something else.

Kings for day time and although usually I would say esb for evening but I'll go with the corkscrew in tullyallen as they have the best burger at the moment. Honourable mention to the lime kilns beef brisket!

I have never taken to Simonas must try it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

macadam wrote: »
    Got a bad dose of food poisoning in D'Vine and havent returned management were not to nice about it,. La Pizzeria has to be the best freshest food about the taste is something else.

It's amazing the amount of people I know that have been unwell after eating here including myself.

The first time I was ill after dinner at D'Vine I didn't blame the restaurant, sure we all get a sick tummy now and again.
    However I went back a second time and felt very unwell again straight after eating my dinner.

Such a shame as the menu is beautiful, the atmosphere and décor is lovely. Could be a gem but I wouldn't go back.

And La Pizzeria is my current absolute favourite Drogheda restaurant.
    Fabulous food, very well priced, a lovely atmosphere and the staff are really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

furiousox wrote: »

Ive tried Annie's, and West 29, very nice, have'nt been to the D hotel or Kirwan's fish restaurant, My sister rates Aisha's very highly and you can bring your own drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thanks a million! Just noticed the website now. Handy to have the calorie content too

Tried it the other night, just as nice as the ones in Dublin & Navan. What I will say is ignore the calorie content online, Pad Thai listed as an unbelievable 380 kcals. It's 1250 on the menu in Drogheda.

I pulled them up on this in the Clontarf one and said there is no way at all it could be 380 (it's a mountain of food) and they said it absolutely was. It is at least 1000 anyway.

Calorie queries aside it was delicious. They were swamped with phone ins so the girl at the counter was a bit forgetful, teething problems I'd imagine.

Will be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Noodle box's new sit in area opens this Thursday.

Tried it the other night, just as nice as the ones in Dublin & Navan. What I will say is ignore the calorie content online, Pad Thai listed as an unbelievable 380 kcals. It's 1250 on the menu in Drogheda.

I pulled them up on this in the Clontarf one and said there is no way at all it could be 380 (it's a mountain of food) and they said it absolutely was. It is at least 1000 anyway.

Calorie queries aside it was delicious. They were swamped with phone ins so the girl at the counter was a bit forgetful, teething problems I'd imagine.

Will be returning.

I found the calories listed as 300+, 800+ and 1000+ on three different places on their website! You're right- I am inclined to think between 800 and 1000 is more reflective of what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    It's amazing the amount of people I know that have been unwell after eating here including myself.

The first time I was ill after dinner at D'Vine I didn't blame the restaurant, sure we all get a sick tummy now and again.
    However I went back a second time and felt very unwell again straight after eating my dinner.

Such a shame as the menu is beautiful, the atmosphere and décor is lovely. Could be a gem but I wouldn't go back.

And La Pizzeria is my current absolute favourite Drogheda restaurant.
    Fabulous food, very well priced, a lovely atmosphere and the staff are really lovely.

If you dont mind sharing what had you to eat that made you unwell, I had a steak which was served on a wooden board, which had very deep grooves on it and I wasnt too happy with it from the start of receiving my food so to get a bad dose of food poisoning the following day was really the icing on the cake, I did report my illness to the management who were not very polite, I wasnt after a refund or a cheap meal I was merely making them aware these boards were in such a bad state they shouldnt be used and when I asked how they were cleaned I was told they were placed in a dishwasher, which is substandard for wooden boards which need to be wire brushed etc. I will not be going back either.
    La Pizzeria in Clogherhead is tops with me fresh food very reasonable rate great wine and staff are excellent even Jean the chef/owner has mellowed and smiles now but not if he sees you on a mobile phone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Second visit to Kanoodle last night.

A+++.

Ordered online on their website, collected it 20 minutes later.

My favourite thing has to be the enormous portions!

Second visit to Kanoodle last night.

A+++.

Ordered online on their website, collected it 20 minutes later.

My favourite thing has to be the enormous portions!

I agree, portions were quite big! Veg was nice and fresh too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Do they do delivery?

• Advertisement

Yup!

Advertisement