Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Correct proceedure for accident?

Options
  • 30-11-2006 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

What's the correct procedure if you're involved in a car crashed?

Minor accident / no injuries / exchange registration number / contact details / insurance no on window?

Major accident / or with injuries / as above + call guards?

Is this correct? Are you expected to also report it to your insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interested in this .

Have never been in one but seems to me to be that standard procedure (right or wrong) is to call the Gardai and leave the cars where they are until you have official witness.

Common sense would say pull over , if no-one is hurt take each others details and let the insurance companies sort it out - i carry a disposable film camera in the glovebox to take pics in case of a bump as apparently digital pics are not acceptable in court.

Interested in what more experienced drivers have to say. What did you do/should have done when you bumped/someone bumped you?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yeah, I've not been in one either but I'm driving more and morel lately and just wanted some info on it.

What's this about digital photos not acceptable in court? I've always assumed I could just whip out my camera phone and take a few snaps for records - I actually need to keep a disposable if I wanna have a chance of photos being worthwhile?

Common sense against standard procedure .. I'd love to hear more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

three golden rules....

call the gards
    call the gards
    call the gards

voice of experiance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

What if you're blocking 2 lanes of a dual carrageway? (say you touched cars when changing lanes) - people are gonna get very abusive if you don't get out of the way?

What if it's only a scrape?

What if you're in a hurry?

What if the guards take 2 hours to get there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

ciaranfo wrote:
    What's the correct procedure if you're involved in a car crashed?

Minor accident / no injuries / exchange registration number / contact details / insurance no on window?

Major accident / or with injuries / as above + call guards?

Is this correct? Are you expected to also report it to your insurance company?

Yeah, if nobody is injured you move the cars to a safe location at side of the road and exchange details. If you can grab any witnesses then get their info. You are not supposed to call the Guards if nobody is injured but a lot of people do.

If somebody is injured you MUST call the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i got rammed by a postvan which came stright out into me from a blind turn and HE sued ME and got a payout.....call the Gards, don't move a thing....

Advertisement