Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

car tax on borrowed car

• 21-11-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

My car will be off the road for the best part of a month, I can get the lend of a car for this time, but the car isn't in tax, I can easily transfer my insurance policy, but I can not tax it without an insurance cert (with the borrowed car's reg) Or can I? is there any way to tax a car that you have borrowed without getting a new cert of the insurance, which I would normally only do for a permanent change.?

And I know that I have to tax it for a least 3 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

risk it and say your tax is in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

deegs wrote: »
    risk it and say your tax is in the post?

Cheers for the reply! I've taken plenty of risks in the past, but on this occasion, I would like to have road tax!! no really:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Wouldn't risk driving untaxed.

Explain situation to your city/county council where you tax your car. Perhaps they will not object to you taxing another car for a few months, as long as the lender knows it.

If you dont want to go untaxed you will have to tax it for 3 months.... but worse than that you will need to explain why the car has not been taxed till now and they will try to get you to back tax it!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

deegs wrote: »
    If you dont want to go untaxed you will have to tax it for 3 months.... but worse than that you will need to explain why the car has not been taxed till now and they will try to get you to back tax it!

I realise there's a minimum of 3 months, the owner of the car notified her local car tax office last june that the car would not be used on a public road, (and it hasn't) until now hopefully.

I rang my local tax office and was told that they didn't need proof of insurance ie a transfer was ok and they wouldn't need to see an actual cert with the car reg on it, Hope the girl is correct, she didn't seem very certain!
    However she also said that only the registered owner can tax the car, which isn't really a problem in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

You will firstly need to get the car signed off the road by the guards, otherwise you will have to pay all back tax, then transfer the insurance and ask for a temp cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Revenue don't check the insurance details. Just use your policy number for your own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ballooba wrote: »
    Revenue don't check the insurance details. Just use your policy number for your own car.

Online they don't, but when you go into the Tax office they look for a cert.

Hell.. when i was taxing mine i couldnt remember the number so i just made one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Christmas period equals plenty of checkpoints.
    No way I'd risk driving about with no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

craichoe wrote: »
    Online they don't, but when you go into the Tax office they look for a cert.

Hell.. when i was taxing mine i couldnt remember the number so i just made one up.
    Yep. Didn't think of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Have you checked with your insurer ?
    AFAIK They will only transfer your insurance to a car in your name or temporarily to a car with existing insurance on it.

I know a guy who swaps a car around his family regularly and the only way around it was to change ownership.

ive no prob changeing insurance to any car be it insured or not, even did it this weekend driving a gtv home from london!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You wont need the insurance cert to tax it, but bring the one from your current car along anyway !

I had the same issue, I was waiting for a new car to arrive having sold my old one and a mate offered his car to bridge the gap. the insurance company will always ask who the registered owner is and if it aint you they wont transfer the insurance over !

They WILL however do a temporary transfer but you will have to specify and end date and I think it has to be less than 30 days but varies from ins.co. to ins.co.

Advertisement