Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving quickly...

Options
  • 21-11-2007 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I have noticed when a passenger with others who are trying to hustle along that they almost invariably start to do everything much quicker, i.e. snatching gears, braking hard (for no reason), sharp steering etc, basically rushing.

I also think that maybe thats why you see people make erratic lane changes on the motorway here too as they think they are driving quickly therefore must speed up the act of driving too.

I have come to the conclusion that people think driving quickly means you must use the controls quickly too, it that the consensus ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I know exactly what you mean and it would certainly seem like it.

It's kind of the same when people are nervous or in a rush - they automatically get fidgety.

I myself just try to be as smooth and as fluid as possible whether driving fast or slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

Must say i would be convicted of this and im always quick shifting and making silly decisions and to be honest i can say its a mixture of lack of experience and the stress that is the roads that i take cause.

Sorry if ive done this to anyone but i think every one has done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As you say the people who are rushing are trying to do everything faster than they normally do. Smooth is fast.

As for the erratic lane changes, I think that's simply bad driving. If anything motorway driving should be smoother and require less of a rush than any other road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Sounds dangerous... as to me, it's indicative of a shortening attention/anticipation span, when on the contrary it should increase (faster speed = need more attention/anticipation, to compensate for distance travelled & surrounding events happening in shorter time).

Can't say I'm guilty of it, but then I've been driving a long time already, and it's a skill (adapting driving technique to prevalent conditions) that can only be acquired with experience (IMHO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

ambro25 wrote: »
    Sounds dangerous... as to me, it's indicative of a shortening attention/anticipation span, when on the contrary it should increase (faster speed = need more attention/anticipation, to compensate for distance travelled & surrounding events happening in shorter time).

Can't say I'm guilty of it, but then I've been driving a long time already, and it's a skill (adapting driving technique to prevalent conditions) that can only be acquired with experience (IMHO).

I have to agree tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If you can't drive smoothly at speed, then you shouldn't drive that fast to begin with. At the same time, some drivers just don't have the skill or ability in the first place. Drivers are very unequal in that regard, and its a bad habit to try to keep up with another driver when you're out of your league like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There is a massive difference between driving fast and driving quickly.

In my experience the latter is only properly learned on a track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm surprised the anti-speed Gestapo haven't started shrieking! Driving quickly! The sheer brass neck!

Smoother is better, no doubt. I also try not to brake too much - the average joe brakes needlessly for corners IMO, instead of anticipating the road ahead and throttling back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

There is a massive difference between driving fast and driving quickly.

In my experience the latter is only properly learned on a track.

Agree completely - this is also known as "charging the corners". Any tool can put their foot down and go fast, but to drive quickly (and in DoE terms) to make progress, requires observation, planning and smooth adjustment of the vehicle controls.

Advertisement